[Albion] Jason Steele signs new deal

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Crazy really as he's Holland's number one now. I think he will come good for us.
He's hardly their number one. He just happened to start their last two games. With Cillessen coming towards the end of his career they'll be looking for a new number one but I full expect them to rotate around over the next few international games to see who steps up. I'd be delighted if it was Bart but he's got some competition there in Bijlow at Feyenoord (who seems to have come straight back in as their first choice after recovering from injury) and Flekken at Brentford both of whom will be playing more regularly at club level it seems.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Good for him. But really hope verbruggen starts giving him some competition soon as he's not a top half epl goalie.
Well he is at the moment, and was last season :shrug:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Great news.

Steele has had a lot of downs in his career, well deserved....

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Crazy really as he's Holland's number one now. I think he will come good for us.
I’m certain of it. Given his age, it’s clear we’re investing in the future. I just think that, as is the Brighton way, his ascent to semi-permanent first team status will be gradual. Perhaps next season we’ll see him as the first choice. He’s not yet as good as Jason with his feet but there’s no reason to think that won’t happen.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Steele. He's never made a howler has he? There are a few you could argue. Personally I think the reason we concede loads of goals is because we're stupidly open and there's no cover from midfield, but hey ho RDZ wants us to load the box, which gets us goals as well

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I’m certain of it. Given his age, it’s clear we’re investing in the future. I just think that, as is the Brighton way, his ascent to semi-permanent first team status will be gradual. Perhaps next season we’ll see him as the first choice. He’s not yet as good as Jason with his feet but there’s no reason to think that won’t happen.
Pascal is probably still tutoring him on his Gross turns after training.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I’ve been meaning to chip in my 2p on the GK debate for a while, so please bear with me on the rambling nonsense to follow.

IMO there’s an awful lot more to life between the sticks than making big impressive saves. In fact, there’s a lot of good goalkeeping that goes into making sure that there are fewer big saves to make at all (thus giving said GK less of a chance to live in the memory as a “great shot-stopper”).

Ways ‘keepers reduce the number of goals conceded without making worldie saves (or saves at all):
  • Organise the defence
  • Give the defence confidence (i.e. just do what they need to do without worrying about a ricket from the man behind them)
  • Keep possession a high percentage of the time (even though asked to do more risky passing by RdZ)
  • Claim crosses
  • Sweep up behind the defence (through balls etc)
  • Good positioning. Turns what would have looked like a great save (or a goal conceded) into something routine because they are in the right place.
  • Good footwork. Weight on the correct foot makes a save/catch look easier
  • Going with the correct hand – again makes a save/catch look easier.
Unless you’re specifically looking for it, not very much of the above stands out. If ALL you look for in a GK is pulling off great ‘Hollywood’ saves, then you probably won’t notice any of the above at all. Hence a lot of GK ratings of “6 – nothing to do” on the post-match ratings threads, even if the GK has done quite a lot (bar big saves) to keep a clean sheet.

Ways ‘keepers reduce the number of goals conceded by making worldie saves:
  • Make worldie saves :lolol: (mostly a product of excellent reaction times & agility)

I’m not saying that Steele is the second coming of Lev Yashin, more that the (alleged) absence of a showreel of great saves does not necessarily mean that we have conceded more goals than we would have if we had a different GK, who perhaps would have had more noticeable saves across the same period.

The stone-cold FACT that he’s great at saving penalties suggests he’s a pretty good shot-stopper anyway, no?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I also think you have to look at keepers over a longish period of games. Purely because with a lot of saves, there's a large element of randomness, (so striker is running through keeper spreads himself quite well, but he can't cover the whole goal, striker closes his eyes and whacks it, it goes in. Another keeper might have saved it by adopting a less covering position).

I prefer to judge a keeper on the clear things they either achieved or otherwise. Has the keeper pulled off worldies or let in howlers. Steele tends to do neither.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Nice one Jase, seems to have a lovely attitude.

His penalty save at Forest last season was excellent, but got a little overlooked what with the bad result

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Eric was a good goalie too. I remember him playing an absolute blinder for Peterborough against us at the Goldstone many moons ago. I was cursing him!
Lo and behold, it wasn’t long afterwards that we signed him.😀

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Agree to disagree.

End of the day Steele has been a reserve championship goalie for most of his career. And would be a reserve Brighton goalie if it wasn't for RDZ. And I'm convinced no other team in the top half of the epl would take him as their first choice.

We need better to solidify our position in top 8.

False.

He was a starting championship goalie until his disaster of a season at Sunderland, at which point he became a Prem backup goalie.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Steele. He's never made a howler has he? There are a few you could argue. Personally I think the reason we concede loads of goals is because we're stupidly open and there's no cover from midfield, but hey ho RDZ wants us to load the box, which gets us goals as well

I can't think of one - he is incredibly consistent... and I suspect that's why he's earnt the new contract.

Well done JS - useful squad player, exemplary attitude.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports