Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jason Roberts...

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
On many occasions it's us NOT having enough/any goal bound shots that seems to have been the problem - eg (and without thinking too hard):

Millwall (a) - 2 (including a saved penalty)
Watford (a) - 0
Notts Forest (a) - 1
Burnley (a) - 1

Excellent stat there. These are the games that could have resulted in draws or wins if we actually stepped it up a bit. Eg Millwall (a) win instead of draw and Watford (a) D instead of L

I would even add Cov (a) to the mix as well.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
I agree but I would also add their discipline has been superb and they haven't had one player sent off, would set 'better discipline' as one of our targets for next season

For me, the difference between Reading and us over the season is that they have a quality striker and a quality keeper. Brez played well tonight, but over the season it's these positions that have cost us.

Still, we've had a great season and it's not over until it's over

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
By the way: if you're one of the idiots dishing out abuse to the bloke on Twitter, you probably want to grow up a bit.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Not sure if it has been mentioned yet but he was awareded MBE for services to the community back in 2010. Aparantly does alot of work with children in Grenada and London, getting them off the street by playing football and sports.

Oh and I would have him in the side.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Wonder how much better a player roberts would be if he concentrated on his play instead of moaning about every decision that didn't go his way...hmm reminds me about someone else

think you may find that is" away from home ,end of season ,seasoned professional ,we are going up,extra mile points me old tilbury." we will get a lot worse at west ham........we have a young/naive team , that has been our un-doing this season ...next season i expect Barnes to be a propper hand full, if you think we couldn't do with a player like jason roberts after this season , i'm afraid you may be suffering early dementia.

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
I thought he was outstanding. Worked the crowd, worked the channels, worked the centre-halves creating space for those around him.

Yes El-Abd was awesome up against him and did as good a job as I suspect any centre-half has managed since he played in this division.

But to de-cry him as being shit is laughable.

The other tragically amusing chant last night was the 'You're shit ahhhhhh' at Federici.

In fact he was the main reason we left the Amex empty-handed. I am as myopic as any Albion fan during a game but sometimes, just sometimes you have to watch an opposition side and say 'Yep - they got out of that one and probably seserve a place at the top table next season.'

It would be interesting to find out how many home fans last season at places like Rochdale, Orient etc must have left games wondering how they failed to walk away with all three points.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I thought he was outstanding. Worked the crowd, worked the channels, worked the centre-halves creating space for those around him.

Yes El-Abd was awesome up against him and did as good a job as I suspect any centre-half has managed since he played in this division.

But to de-cry him as being shit is laughable.

The other tragically amusing chant last night was the 'You're shit ahhhhhh' at Federici.

In fact he was the main reason we left the Amex empty-handed. I am as myopic as any Albion fan during a game but sometimes, just sometimes you have to watch an opposition side and say 'Yep - they got out of that one and probably seserve a place at the top table next season.'

It would be interesting to find out how many home fans last season at places like Rochdale, Orient etc must have left games wondering how they failed to walk away with all three points.

Last night definitely reminded me of our win at D&R last March.

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
Reading came with a basic plan, and two old war horses in Harte and Roberts who could discharge it. Roughing Buckley up early doors took him completely out of the game. He didn’t like the physical stuff at all, even ducked an aerial challenge that led (ultimately) to their goal.

Thought Roberts and El-Abd tussle was a joy to watch throughout, and if you noticed they were smiling, shaking hands and embracing at the end. Lot of diving, conning, moaning, etc from lots of players on both sides (IMHO) as the ref was clearly slow and unsure in his decision making. All added to the spice of that game for me.

Their keeper earnt his corn last night, and we should have won. If we'd had a finisher (Jason Roberts or Kevin Phillips mould) we would have. Saying that, if we'd landed a player like that up front this season we'd be in clover anyway.

CMS lack of first touch to hold the ball, or composure when on goal, means Vicente has to do too much himself, pretty much the provider and finisher.

Excellent stat there. These are the games that could have resulted in draws or wins if we actually stepped it up a bit. Eg Millwall (a) win instead of draw and Watford (a) D instead of L

I would even add Cov (a) to the mix as well.

"Fortunately" I had some chemo related issues over Christmas/New Year so missed the Coventry trip. However, this is all symptomatic of an underlying problem ths season - we just haven't scored enough goals. At times we clearly don't make chances and that's not completely down to CMS, Vokes, Paynter, Toby or whoever - in my view we're not creative enough in midfield, being far too dependent on wing play. We've often had to be defensive there (cf Barnes's role) because of the frailty at full back for much of the season and are generally at bit one paced. I think we'd improve if we were less predictable individually - ie moved the ball quicker at times.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Last night definitely reminded me of our win at D&R last March.

I thought that. Nicked a goal, clung on, left with three points, eight wins for the month and the title more or less in the bag.

Nov 10, 2011
Wish we had someone like him up front in our side, he's transformed Reading's season since his arrival, before that they were heading nowhere... Just goes to show what a difference a QUALITY front man can make.

Roberts' antics were a joke and I would never want someone like that at The Albion. El-Abd owned and he couldn't handle that, so resorted to behaving like a twat. I'll be phoning 606 on Saturday to have a polite conversation with him about that.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Roberts' antics were a joke and I would never want someone like that at The Albion. El-Abd owned and he couldn't handle that, so resorted to behaving like a twat. I'll be phoning 606 on Saturday to have a polite conversation with him about that.

How exactly is that different to how Ashley Barnes acts a lot of time?... Throwing himself to the floor, kicking out, tantrums...

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
"Fortunately" I had some chemo related issues over Christmas/New Year so missed the Coventry trip. However, this is all symptomatic of an underlying problem ths season - we just haven't scored enough goals. At times we clearly don't make chances and that's not completely down to CMS, Vokes, Paynter, Toby or whoever - in my view we're not creative enough in midfield, being far too dependent on wing play. We've often had to be defensive there (cf Barnes's role) because of the frailty at full back for much of the season and are generally at bit one paced. I think we'd improve if we were less predictable individually - ie moved the ball quicker at times.

We are singing from the same hymn sheet here! Also when we do have two up front like at Burnley on Friday and then we dont have any wingers starting!

Certainly Oct/Nov/Dec was a nadir with zero/one shot on target and lots of Nav/Bridders, Nav/Bridders and f*** all else

At least Vicente is providing a bit of cut and thrust.

Also the GK need to release the ball more quickly, instead of allowing the opp to regroup. Onne time we did was Newcastle at home and we scored!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

You obviously didnt watch Nicky Forster in the stripes then...

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Oh and El Abd acting late in the second half like he had been shot only to get up moments later, "surprisingly" unscathed.

Glasshouses and stones.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Reading did a thoroughly professional job last night (with a little help from another poor ref!) with Roberts as the focal point of that. During the game I was as pissed off as everyone, but in the cold light of day, think he's exactly what we need next season.

I work with a West Ham fan who said he did exactly the same against them last week and got pretty much the same stick from the home fans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here