Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] January window

We won't be challenging for the top four, not this season or next. Do you seriously expect us to finish above the likes of Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, Newcasle etc. etc? because l don't.

If we could just manage a top six finish in that time it would be one heck of an achievement, l'd be bowled over with a place in Europe.

I don't know that demanding a bigger transfer budget would help, it proved to be the end for a certain Senor G. Poyet.
I don't expect us to finish above the clubs above. I'm just saying that De Zerbi will try and want to. It will probably never happen but why not have a goal rather than have the mentality that we'll never be able to compete with the big money clubs?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
We may need a new goalkeeper as well as it sounds like Chelsea will be coming in for Sanchez.
Despite what many on here think ( = that all transfer rumours in tabloids are 100% true), Chelsea won't be signing every single decent Brighton player and even less so in the January transfer window.

Sanchez won't be going anywhere in January.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Despite what many on here think ( = that all transfer rumours in tabloids are 100% true), Chelsea won't be signing every single decent Brighton player and even less so in the January transfer window.

Sanchez won't be going anywhere in January.
Posted on another thread that Man Utd are also sniffing around Sanchez apparently. So assuming there's a smidgen of truth in this, there's always a possibility that he might be.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Posted on another thread that Man Utd are also sniffing around Sanchez apparently. So assuming there's a smidgen of truth in this, there's always a possibility that he might be.
Yeah. If Brighton are comfortable with selling their starting goalkeeper mid-season and Man Utd, Chelsea or some other team feel that De Gea/Kepa/whoever is too bad to be in goal for another 6 months and are 100% convinced Sanchez is better, then it could happen.

Both of these things strike me as very unlikely however.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Yeah. If Brighton are comfortable with selling their starting goalkeeper mid-season and Man Utd, Chelsea or some other team feel that De Gea/Kepa/whoever is too bad to be in goal for another 6 months and are 100% convinced Sanchez is better, then it could happen.

Both of these things strike me as very unlikely however.
I'm just repeating what the UK's Mirror etc are saying this morning. "Chelsea are set to lock horns with Manchester United for the signing of Brighton star Robert Sanchez. Graham Potter and Erik ten Hag are both said to be in the market for a new goalkeeper in the January transfer window, with Edouard Mendy, Kepa Arrizabalaga and David de Gea believed to respectively be surplus to requirements".

Was it likely that a few matches into the season Potter would take a chunk of the staff with him to Chelsea, as a for instance?

I wouldn't want to see Big Bob go, but with Potter in particular keen on him, it's not out of the question.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I'm just repeating what the UK's Mirror etc are saying this morning. "Chelsea are set to lock horns with Manchester United for the signing of Brighton star Robert Sanchez. Graham Potter and Erik ten Hag are both said to be in the market for a new goalkeeper in the January transfer window, with Edouard Mendy, Kepa Arrizabalaga and David de Gea believed to respectively be surplus to requirements".

Was it likely that a few matches into the season Potter would take a chunk of the staff with him to Chelsea, as a for instance?

I wouldn't want to see Big Bob go, but with Potter in particular keen on him, it's not out of the question.
No it wasn't likely that GP would leave at that point.

Difference here is that Brighton decides whether Sanchez stays or goes. It is not up to GP.

Imo, it is out of the question.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
It would take an eye watering bid for any of our first team to go in January. For Sanchez that would = £50m+ If it’s Chelsea then add 20%

They’ll never say it in public but B&B must be getting cheesed off with that fat, wannabe soccer coach, yank twat and his glow up puppet yes man.

At what point will FFP actually apply to Chelsea?

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
This would be mental BUT for the first time we probably do have that sort of transfer kitty, would we be prepared to spend it and all on one player? I highly doubt it. Unless of course Trossard went for say £50m……

Whatever, RDZ clearly has significant player pulling power for Mudryk to even mention this. Which is 50% fantastic and 50% a concern, just wait for the next top 6 manager to get sacked………

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
He‘s still only 18 and playing regularly for the U21s, 6 appearances and 5 goals this season (and capped for Ireland) - I wouldn’t dismiss him off as loanable material yet - not sure he’s even got to be a fully fledged a member of the First Team yet - (was debuted in a Carabao match and has 1 league appearance for the first team) but he was on the bench on Sunday for the Villa match - at least suggesting RDZ has him in mind for more regular first team appearances in the future?
Not dismissing him at all - I would rather keep him and play him... I know its still early for Undav but he really has not looked to on the pace. I arrived late on Sunday so never saw the subs ... I would have played him as the sub for Wellbeck....

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
If we were that worried about having CB backup we should have planned ahead and bought somebody already, just as we managed to (in different ways) with Burn, White, Veltman and Cucurella.
I'm not going to feel any better about it, no matter how many "mights" are thrown at me or how many people point out how obviously unreasonable my opinion is.
Football is all about the 'what might happen if / has happened because'' its not a science its a lottery ....

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
This would be mental BUT for the first time we probably do have that sort of transfer kitty, would we be prepared to spend it and all on one player? I highly doubt it. Unless of course Trossard went for say £50m……

Whatever, RDZ clearly has significant player pulling power for Mudryk to even mention this. Which is 50% fantastic and 50% a concern, just wait for the next top 6 manager to get sacked………
I’m convinced that Newcastle will be coming in very hard (with the Maddison money) for Tross in January. That’s £50m+.

If TB accepts, we’d need a pretty special player to replace him and his goals.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
We may need a new goalkeeper as well as it sounds like Chelsea will be coming in for Sanchez.
Maybe in the Summer. Unless we can find a decent replacement in January - which is not totally impossible.

It is definitely our model though - get Sanchez for nothing when young, loan him him out, get 2-3 years 1st team service and then sell for mega cash amounts.

The key is getting top money and not selling too many at once - the Mac Allister contract has somewhat helped in this respect, but I still expect Trossard, Caicedo and Sanchez may be our next big departures.

Last edited:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Fair with Sarmiento, might have to keep him and build him up. Billy G... if another midfielder is bought, I just don't how he is going to get any game time. JPVH either to the Championship again (yes he was one of the best but that doesn't mean he can't learn more from playing there) or maybe a Bundesliga club. Bloke needs to play football and if another CB arrives I just cant see him playing a single minute this spring.
I guess it's all about how the club spends its money. We had signed Gilmour before Mwepu retired so there is a 'vacancy' not sure if the new 17 year old fills that or is development. If we want to upgrade on Gilmour we will need to pay £15-20million as a minimum unless we are lucky. So question is would that £20m be better spent elsewhere. If we buy a CB then surely that's sort of saying we don't think van hecke is good enough this season or maybe not good enough. Lot's of negative comments about Colwill but he certainly looks the part when he has played , maybe we have to do some deal with Chelsea even if it is with a buyback clause. Get him for 2 years and he does a job then mission achieved. As i said in a previous comment the spending power of top clubs means contracts are not a guarantee of retention(Cucurella) add the generally mercenary approach of players and coaches makes them even less binding.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
I think Bloom and Barber probably understand that De Zerbi will be more vocal about the playing staff in a way that we haven't seen since Poyet. That applies to players in and out. Our Italian doesn't seem to be the sort of bloke who will easily accept "Brighton have given X permission to speak to X".

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
I think Bloom and Barber probably understand that De Zerbi will be more vocal about the playing staff in a way that we haven't seen since Poyet. That applies to players in and out. Our Italian doesn't seem to be the sort of bloke who will easily accept "Brighton have given X permission to speak to X".
I think he'll have known the deal with our policy on letting players/staff leave. in fact, he may well want the same courtesy extended to him one day, so it would probably be in his interest to go along with it. however were we to sell players and not replace them with established talent, he may be a little less understanding than potter would've been

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The top priority in this window is to see whether we can replace Mwepu. He offered something different - power, heading ability and shooting from distance in one midfield player.

Gilmour will come into play if Argentina go deep into the WC. I expect him to deputise for MacAllister / Caicedo in the second half of the season as and when they need resting. Similarly, I think we need Colwill to cover left-back, especially with Estupinan likely to play 90mins x 3 as a minimum in the WC.

Dunk and Colwill didn't work on Sunday, it's been a long time since I've seen a CB combo look that shaky for us at home. Van Hecke will get his chance soon enough.

Re strikers - we've been here before BUT because Welbeck has been out of form all season, Undav has done nothing, Enciso is not ready AND - crucially - Trossard is coming into the final phase of his contract then we need to bring in another option if we are serious about matching / improving on last season's 9th place finish.

I still like Genk's Paul Onuachu. 28 years old, 6 foot 7, coming into the final 18 months of his contract, would fit perfectly into the Welbeck role and will probably want one big deal before retirement so could happen for c. £20 million.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
I think he'll have known the deal with our policy on letting players/staff leave. in fact, he may well want the same courtesy extended to him one day, so it would probably be in his interest to go along with it. however were we to sell players and not replace them with established talent, he may be a little less understanding than potter would've been
Undoubtedly there were discussions around the Strategic operation of the club, and you're right that RDZ will have ambitions outside of the Albion. Nevertheless, DeZerbi is now in the building. Like Potter, his reputation can grow in Sussex. But he appears (on the outside) to run hotter than any manger since Poyet. Even with limited, but improving, English he's talking this club up. He'll know that Brighton will accept correct approaches for any of their talent, but he'll also understand that deals will only proceed if valuations are met and, crucially, it's right for the club. The 'right for the club' bit is where intuitively it feels like RDZ will be more strident. And a more strident voice at the heart of the decision making, gives the club another parameter when balancing what's right when accepting or rejecting approaches

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here