Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] January window

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
so we have awoken to this morning's Argus, in which there is an interview with RDZ, who says "We haven’t spoken yet with the club but I think we need something to complete the squad. We have some positions of the pitch where we have to do something for sure". So it looks like there could definitely be some incoming activity in January. But where? Well, since it's my day off, I'm bored, and I enjoy transfer speculation, below is all the positions I think we could potentially add something, followed by an expensive option, a cheaper 'wildcard' option, as well as anyone we've been linked with already:

1. Centre Back

definitely seems like the club wants a CB option, seemingly left footed for when Colwill goes back

Expensive option/ Already linked: Mykola Matvieko

already well know to De Zerbi, he has been due a move to the top five leagues for a while now , and has already been linked. elite passing range and can play CB and LB to a high standard

Cheap/ Wildcard Option: Konstantinos Koulierakis

the first of two Greek players on this list, Koulierakis has been making waves for PAOK this season, at just 18, and has already been linked with the likes of Ajax. Fast, commanding and very good on the ball, he will turn into a very decent centre back

2. Right Wing

started a thread yesterday saying we need something else on the right, so here's who we could be looking at. need more pace and trickery there now lamptey has found a new lease of life on the left

Expensive Option/ Already linked: Tete

again someone from Shakhtar, who has been doing really well on loan at lyon until they brought a new coach in, and now he wants to leave. one heck of a left foot, and a brilliant low centre of gravity, a real 'maverick' player, who we have have already been linked with, albeit via a dubious source

Wildcard option: Liel Abada

for this one there's no cheap fix, but a more left field shout would be Celtic's Liel Abada. I know he plays in Scotland which will mean some on here will immediately rule him out, but, he's quick, has outstanding movement and pace, always seems to be nipping in at the back post, and interestingly is right footed, which could complement Solly's left footedness quite nicely

3. CM/Mwepu replacement

Expensive Option/Already linked: Davide Frattesi

don't think he played under De zerbi at sassuolo, but he'd be very adaptable to our style of play. very nice box-to box player, who offers fantastic technique, good physicality, as well as being in the 97th percentile for non-penalty xG vs midfielders from the top 5 leagues. linked pretty much as soon as RDZ joined

Wildcard Option/ Already linked: Maycon

Another one of Shakhtar's Brazilians, currently on loan at Corinthians back in his home country. To be honest I know sweet FA about him as a player but he has already been linked to us so the club might

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZaYhVnLr_I

4. Striker

yes I am including this, because despite RDZ saying we aren't looking for one, we have been linked to one already and it would hardly be the first time what a club says and what a club does don't exactly match with regards to transfer activity

Expensive Option/Already linked: Goncalo Ramos

There is already a thread on him, but he's one of the world best CF prospects. Loves to come deeper and get involved with the buildup, something we don't see enough from our current forwards. Also has sensational movement and best of all, a fundamental knack of getting into goalscoring positions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCTaqP_-Vj8

Wildcard/Cheaper Option: Vangelis Pavlidis

As promised, the second Greek player. I know, I know, be wary of Eredivisie clubs bearing gifts, especially if that club is AZ Alkmaar, but I have been very impressed whenever I've watched this guy, someone's gonna take a gamble on him and it's going to pay off. happy to hold the ball up either on his chest or into feet, excellent technique, the classic 'good feet for a big man' player. also an excellent finisher and a real aerial threat, should we want to be more dangerous from corners

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGsQ3sPakaE

EDIT/ Wildcard 2: Dion Drena Beljo

forgot to include this player too. if we want a proper giant striker, he's the man. Basically does all sorts of goals, has a nice passing range, and again, can 'use his feet well for a big guy'

we've got a whole month once the window is open to adjust our expectations to us signing nobody, so a bit of football-manager speculation now can't hurt anyone...

...and of course, there are tons of players out there the club will be watching who won't be on this list...

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I was so much enjoying our team this season - especially the opening 7 or 8 games - I almost don't want us to bring in anybody in January - it would likely mean somebody in the team now losing their place, and there's no-one I want that to happen to!

However, I know that we must move on; to stand still is to go backwards in this league, and of course De Zerbi will want to make it his 'own' team. Still would be sorry to see the likes of Solly, Dunk, Webster, Gross or whoever eased out of the squad. Guess I was so buzzing after the Leicester game, and despite all the enthusiasm some have already developed for DeZerbiball I still feel on a bit of a downer.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
I was so much enjoying our team this season - especially the opening 7 or 8 games - I almost don't want us to bring in anybody in January - it would likely mean somebody in the team now losing their place, and there's no-one I want that to happen to!

However, I know that we must move on; to stand still is to go backwards in this league, and of course De Zerbi will want to make it his 'own' team. Still would be sorry to see the likes of Solly, Dunk, Webster, Gross or whoever eased out of the squad. Guess I was so buzzing after the Leicester game, and despite all the enthusiasm some have already developed for DeZerbiball I still feel on a bit of a downer.
I don't think Dunk or Solly have to worry much. I don't think Gross does either, but you never know. I think Webster is probably looking over his shoulder a bit though. He's definitely better in a back 5 than a 4.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
It pains me to say it as Dunk, Webster and Veltman have been excellent but I think we need far more pace in our back line. The way we now play under De Zerbi we're quite exposed at the back and a simple ball over the top opens us up far too easily. I think that will be something that we look to rectify by bringing someone(s) in which will mean one or more of Dunk, Webster and Veltman sitting on the bench.

Also that Fratesi looks a bit like Skalak. I'm all for signing him regardless of ability if he'll stand on a chair in his brighton kit and cover himself in Brighton flags and scarves.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
It pains me to say it as Dunk, Webster and Veltman have been excellent but I think we need far more pace in our back line. The way we now play under De Zerbi we're quite exposed at the back and a simple ball over the top opens us up far too easily. I think that will be something that we look to rectify by bringing someone(s) in which will mean one or more of Dunk, Webster and Veltman sitting on the bench.

Also that Fratesi looks a bit like Skalak. I'm all for signing him regardless of ability if he'll stand on a chair in his brighton kit and cover himself in Brighton flags and scarves.
completely agree. think a defender who has an extra yard of pace doesn't concede that penalty yesterday. and no that's not me saying dunk need replaced, just that we need it from somewhere in the team.

also have an issue with right back. love groß and veltman, but neither of them have the pace or dribbling ability to for any sort of threatening combination with march on the right. the leads to Solly being isolated against the fullback, which when they're one of digne's quality, is a problem for us.
also groß in particular leaves the defence looking a little exposed. I suggested right wingers in the original post because I maybe see RDZ moving march a little more into the groß role, perhaps?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don't think Dunk or Solly have to worry much. I don't think Gross does either, but you never know. I think Webster is probably looking over his shoulder a bit though. He's definitely better in a back 5 than a 4.
I did purposely add the phrase 'or whoever', as I have no idea who would lose their place - just possible examples of players I would hate to lose.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
completely agree. think a defender who has an extra yard of pace doesn't concede that penalty yesterday. and no that's not me saying dunk need replaced, just that we need it from somewhere in the team.

also have an issue with right back. love groß and veltman, but neither of them have the pace or dribbling ability to for any sort of threatening combination with march on the right. the leads to Solly being isolated against the fullback, which when they're one of digne's quality, is a problem for us.
also groß in particular leaves the defence looking a little exposed. I suggested right wingers in the original post because I maybe see RDZ moving march a little more into the groß role, perhaps?
I wouldn't be against signing a right winger as I'm not sure who we have there other than March. We've got Trossard and Mitoma for the left as well as having Welbeck and March who can play there but for the right it seems to be a bit mix and match. March? Lamptey? Does Sarmiento play there?

I like the idea of possibly moving March to right back as, if Estupinan is anything to go by, defending isn't the full backs primary job under De Zerbi. If we can keep Solly's work rate and ability but add a right winger who can have the same impact as Trossard or Mitoma then with Solly backing him up we'd pose a considerable threat down that side.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Interesting talking to media before talking to the club, not sure exactly how that will be received.

If both a new CB and player capable of playing RB/RWB would arrive, I think that'll mean the end for Veltman. Think there would be plenty of takers in Italy - they love a sturdy, experienced defender who'd be quite cheap.

Adam Webster is obviously also someone who could go and be a backup in one of the English top 6 clubs but I don't think the club is keen on selling a starting CB in January so that would have to be next summer.

Who the new CB would be... who knows. RDZ brought with him Marlon from Sassuolo to Monza and he is the most technically competent CB you'll find pretty much, so if it is somehow possible to break his loan deal with Monza and have him move to Brighton, it can't be ruled out.

Potential RB... I'm a sucker for Kevin Mac Allister. He has grown into being one of the best RBs in the Argentinian league and there would be obvious off-pitch advantages getting him in.

Most likely I think that only one defender will arrive in January and probably that will be a left-footed CB. What that means for Colwill is a bit of a question mark, but what it means for Van Hecke is pretty certain - loan move to St Elsewhere.

In midfield I think another central midfielder (perhaps someone primarly AMC but also able to play in other roles) could arrive, replacing Mwepu. Billy wont be delighted and maybe should have another loan spell in the Championship or something.

Up front, there's already of couple of players getting very limited game time. Think we could see three players loaned out and Buonanotte arriving along with another player.

My guess for January:

In:
CB
DMC/CM/AMC
Buonanotte
Another attacking player

Out (loans)
Van Hecke
Billy
Sarmiento
Fergie

Same numbers (as they're ok) but oomphed up in terms of competiton.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
I did purposely add the phrase 'or whoever', as I have no idea who would lose their place - just possible examples of players I would hate to lose.
it could just mean more rotation. we are the team with the second lowest amount of players used this season with 21. only palace have used less with 20. potter obviously likes quite a small, close squad, perhaps RDZ doesn't?

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
Webster has also undoubtedly been the worst performer at the back since RDZ arrived with a ton of misplaced passes.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Yes and that lack of pace and simple ball over the top was what did for us yestrerday. The DunK & Colwill combo just doesn't look right.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
I think we need a 'proven PL striker' who will get us '15-20 every season.'
Despite obviously being a wind up, we definitely need another striker who can come on when Welbeck is having a stinker like yesterday who isn't called Undav or Encisco. Even if just to actually cause defenders some problems and create space for others to help break down the low block which has been our achilles heel for years.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think De Zerbi will get the players he wants within reason of course. He wants to be challenging for the top 4 if not this season then next and his passion on the touchline tells me he will be a bit more demanding with transfers as opposed to Potter.
I can see him doing a Violet Elizabeth Bott if he doesn't get his way :dezerbi:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here