Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Jamie Murphy - loaned to Rangers, sale likely in the Summer

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Agreed, stunning finish. His finish against Charlton (a) wasn't too bad either, from memory.

Not PL quality, but still got points for us.

Agree but I found him very frustrating, and then again there are a good handful who I find/found frustrating. I don't want to get into that right now though because we get what we are given and I am always hoping for players to get it right in their next game.

I thought at the time though that Murphy was worth more of a shot when he left.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Agree but I found him very frustrating, and then again there are a good handful who I find/found frustrating. I don't want to get into that right now though because we get what we are given and I am always hoping for players to get it right in their next game.

I think Murphy had the better all-round game and would have loved to seen him given a real crack in the PL. He was always a solid 7/10 player and his pace and adaptability would have been useful in Potter's squad.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
LOL LOL

Gross is a Grafter and gets goals occasionally. Not as Gifted a player as Jamie but Gross has his Merits

Oh please! Pascal Gross is a Premier League player, Jamie Murphy most definately isn't.

A massive difference in quality, plus of course Jamie's best days are way behind him now.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Oh please! Pascal Gross is a Premier League player, Jamie Murphy most definately isn't.

A massive difference in quality, plus of course Jamie's best days are way behind him now.

There are hundreds of players who are Premier League Players who are not as Gifted a Footballer as Jamie Murphy is.

Lots of defensive players and midfielders are good enough to play in PL in those positions. In terms of natural footballing skills and ability Jamie is better than many of them. I don't dispute the fact that Jamie might not have been good enough to be successful in the PL in the position that he plays but he does have more natural ability that a lot of them who play in different positions.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
There are hundreds of players who are Premier League Players who are not as Gifted a Footballer as Jamie Murphy is.

Lots of defensive players and midfielders are good enough to play in PL in those positions. In terms of natural footballing skills and ability Jamie is better than many of them. I don't dispute the fact that Jamie might not have been good enough to be successful in the PL in the position that he plays but he does have more natural ability that a lot of them who play in different positions.

Could you name some of the players you feel are inferior to Jamie Murphy?

I'm not expecting to agree, but I am expecting the list to be quite funny.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

He wanted to go.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Could you name some of the players you feel are inferior to Jamie Murphy?

I'm not expecting to agree, but I am expecting the list to be quite funny.

I don't have time to go searching through all of them but Sam Baldock's brother who plays full back for Sheff United is one

He is also a more gifted footballer than Olly Norwood at Sheff United

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
He wasn't getting game time when with us because of a niggling injury but was making progress with that.

The injury wasn't the reason. Chris would have kept him if he had wanted to stay - I was really disappointed the day he left. So I asked why.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
He wasn't getting game time when with us because of a niggling injury but was making progress with that.

I don't think Jamie ever had many injuries in the whole of his career. He hasn't really been an injury prone footballer up until that serious injury at Rangers

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Chris Hughton got some good performances out of Murphy in the championship. It has to be said he hasn't pulled up too many trees since his move to Rangers before his injury, and wouldn't have featured much in the Premier league. A good signing though considering what the transfer fee was.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
I don't have time to go searching through all of them but Sam Baldock's brother who plays full back for Sheff United is one

He is also a more gifted footballer than Olly Norwood at Sheff United

I really like Jamie Murphy and he was an excellent player for us, however I’m not sure I understand your argument.

Firstly, I’d be interested to know your definition of ‘gifted’ as to me it’s totally subjective and relevant only in the context of the position/attribute you’re discussing. For example, having a gifted first touch is different to being ‘gifted’ at timing a header or having great vision.

Murphy was quick by Championship standards, had a decent eye for goal and worked hard. You’ve referenced Norwood, who even by Premier League standards has proven to be gifted technically, with good vision, passing and even leadership.

Again, Murphy was excellent for us and I’m a fan, but I’m not sure your argument stands up. He might be more gifted in some areas than other Premier League players, but I’m not sure why that’s relevant?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I really like Jamie Murphy and he was an excellent player for us, however I’m not sure I understand your argument.

Firstly, I’d be interested to know your definition of ‘gifted’ as to me it’s totally subjective and relevant only in the context of the position/attribute you’re discussing. For example, having a gifted first touch is different to being ‘gifted’ at timing a header or having great vision.

Murphy was quick by Championship standards, had a decent eye for goal and worked hard. You’ve referenced Norwood, who even by Premier League standards has proven to be gifted technically, with good vision, passing and even leadership.

Again, Murphy was excellent for us and I’m a fan, but I’m not sure your argument stands up. He might be more gifted in some areas than other Premier League players, but I’m not sure why that’s relevant?

Your post opens a very good point - I suppose I consider Gifted players as being those who look very natural with the ball under their control. But you are correct some people may not consider that as being the criteria to be determined ''Naturally Gifted''

I named players like Norwood and the lad Baldock - Only because I was virtually '' Goaded '' into naming players to compare. I wouldn't have otherwise.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Jamie was excellent defensively.

He could always be relied on to do his defensive work. A lot of it was unseen. He was often tasked with marking the fastest opponent when Brighton had a corner to stop breakaways.

I am obviously bias in Jamie's favour but I do know why he was allowed to leave. He had fallen below Solly and Knockheart in the pecking order. He wanted to play football and he didn't even want to leave Scotland initially when he left Motherwell so to get the opportunity to get back to the team he supported as a boy then that was too much of an attraction for him. Chris knew that and I think he did right in letting the lad leave.

He was a far better player than some of the Dross that the Recruitment Team replaced him with like Locadia.

Sorry Noo not what I witnessed, one of his last games he was culpable for losing possession and not tracking, and that wasn’t the only time.

I really do wish him all the best, but IMO is a steady championship player, and did a good job as did Skalak.

I’m pleased he got to play for Rangers, but sad about his injury, when he looked like he was doing well.

Oh yes and you are biased [emoji2][emoji23] (but that’s a good thing)..... Hope you are well and staying safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Hard to disagree with any of this.

Gross is a long way ahead, unless it’s a race...

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Sorry Noo not what I witnessed, one of his last games he was culpable for losing possession and not tracking, and that wasn’t the only time.

I really do wish him all the best, but IMO is a steady championship player, and did a good job as did Skalak.

I’m pleased he got to play for Rangers, but sad about his injury, when he looked like he was doing well.

Oh yes and you are biased [emoji2][emoji23] (but that’s a good thing)..... Hope you are well and staying safe.

Of course I am biased. I won't ever have a bad word for Jamie.

However, I also discussed him with his Manager who felt he was for the most part reliable and did what he was instructed to do and always knew where he should have been at any given situation.

Contrast that with some which obviously I won't discuss and their failure to carry out what they were instructed to do or be where they should be in any given situation.

It's nice being able to discuss Jamie again, even though many don't share my views. There was one guy on here whose little lad was a massive fan of Jamie Murphy as well but I can't remember who it was.

I hope Rangers let him go and he ends up back at Motherwell

Fozzyboy

Jul 5, 2011
Worthing
Of course I am biased. I won't ever have a bad word for Jamie.

However, I also discussed him with his Manager who felt he was for the most part reliable and did what he was instructed to do and always knew where he should have been at any given situation.

Contrast that with some which obviously I won't discuss and their failure to carry out what they were instructed to do or be where they should be in any given situation.

It's nice being able to discuss Jamie again, even though many don't share my views. There was one guy on here whose little lad was a massive fan of Jamie Murphy as well but I can't remember who it was.

I hope Rangers let him go and he ends up back at Motherwell

Top bloke is Jamie. His eldest Daughter was in the same nursery group as my son so I used to see him all the time. Very very down to earth family and very approachable for a chat. Wish him all the best.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here