Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jamie Carragher

ShanklySeagull

Justice for the 96...
May 30, 2011
Littlehampton
In a player, it's admirable. However in a pundit/commentator it just increases exponentially the chances of him knowing nothing beyond the boundaries of his own limited experience. And guess what... He knows f**k all about football other than how f**king wonderful his Scouse mates are.

He is a sh*t commentator because he just isn't watching both sides play.

That isn't true. There have been a few pieces that have quoted Carraghers keen interest in watching football across many foreign leagues as well as domestic - right from back in his time as a player. He is very well read on much of what goes on in the game at many levels and his analysis is incisive.
Over familiar with some if the Liverpool players maybe, but as others have said before hes a one club man so give the guy time to iron that out of his commentary. I quite enjoy his banter with Neville, even if his accents slightly grinding...

Lurker

56 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
No, it probably wouldn't - but why the Carragher hatred?

Bloody good player (should have had more England caps), loyal one club player at his home town club. All characteristics we normally admire.

Unless you're sort of scouse-o-phobic, I suppose.

Should have had more England caps?
Maybe he would have if he hadn't refused to join England squads unless he was guaranteed a starting place.

That is serious bell-end behaviour.

The reason he didn't get many caps was because he simply wasn't good enough, and his refusal to join England squads was a pathetic attempt to save face because he thought he was a better player than he actually was.

Mind you, he would easily get into the England 'spit at children" squad.
He'd be the star performer.

...... and his voice really grates my gears!

I'm not scouse-o-phobic, but I probably am 'Carragher-o-phobic'.

How he kept his job at Sky after 'spitgate' I do not know.
Shame on the Sky management.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
No, it probably wouldn't - but why the Carragher hatred?

Bloody good player (should have had more England caps), loyal one club player at his home town club. All characteristics we normally admire.

Unless you're sort of scouse-o-phobic, I suppose.

We do - but this is not about loyalty, it’s about neutrality.

I agree. It was a poor choice for last night. Having Souness in the studio with no Rosenoir or Zamora was bad enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I thought Martin Tyler was a lot worse. Carragher would be better off on Liverpool tv so if Sky give him the game you know what you are getting. Tyler is supposed to be the neutral, professional commentator. He sounds like he is going for a beer with the Liverpool team and doesn’t want to upset any of them.

Pierre the Painter

May 20, 2020
To be fair they call him Trent becasuse during a fairly fast paced game saying 'Alexander Arnold' every time he received it or analysing him is a bit more of a mouthful, plus his first name being unique you instantly know who he's on about. 'Bobby' Firmino however as though he's some sort of fan boy however does grate my gears.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
When Sky employed Neville, I was gutted. The ratty Man U shit boy? It'll be awful, he's so biased.

Fast forward a few years, Neville is one of the best and least biased pundits on TV and Carragher is a total prick.

Who'd have guessed? Not me. And I ****ing hate Manchester United.

Carragher was truly awful tonight but when I've watched us play Man United with Neville commentating I've never had an issue.

His gushing over how brilliant Bruno was in our home game against them was almost embarrassing, but just the right side of wonderful.

Whereas "CARRA" is just a limp scouse dick.
Very much this.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I'm just thankful to the club who have ensured the seat coverings are wipe clean, given the amount of jerking off they were doing about Williams...every 30 ****ing seconds they mentioned him, even gave a few camera tilts to him sitting in the stands in the 2nd half...wtf?

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
Listening to the pundits last night, I realised how much of a dinosaur Graeme Souness is!
He cannot understand how #teamsLikeBrighton have the audacity to try to play football against Liverpool and thinks hoof ball, especially in the early stages of the game is the only way!
Go back to your cave man, you caveman!
I got the impression he didn’t much like Potter too, when he it was commented that he managed Potter whilst at Southampton. With a pre-historic scowl he spat out that it was ‘briefly’. Potter probably represents a moon to Souness, who can only point and marvel at a circle of light in the night sky illuminating the way!

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS
Carragher ; i didnt´enjoy listening to him at all ... ignorant: he appeared to know very little about Brighton, and if he did he was only interested in Liverpool.
Assuming i wouldn´t have found it quite so bad if we hadn´t been 2-0 nil down
However when it started annoying me, he got worse and worse
Was definitely the worst thing about an entertaining evening after we generously gave the Champions a guard of honour and a two goal headstart.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Same with Neville being co commentator in the Man U game. Would it kill Sky to have a neutral pundit?

I don't think Neville is that biased as a commentator, if anything he goes the other way as he seems to try harder to appear unbiased.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I don't think Neville is that biased as a commentator, if anything he goes the other way as he seems to try harder to appear unbiased.

You mean aside from the fact he’s an ex Man U player, mates with a lot of the squad, good friends with the manager and a diehard Man Utd fan.

How is that not bias? That’s the definition of.

He’s a brilliant pundit though. Won’t disagree with that.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You mean aside from the fact he’s an ex Man U player, mates with a lot of the squad, good friends with the manager and a diehard Man Utd fan.

But he's called the players out during games + the club hierarchy out when required so he isn't really biased.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Listening to the pundits last night, I realised how much of a dinosaur Graeme Souness is!
He cannot understand how #teamsLikeBrighton have the audacity to try to play football against Liverpool and thinks hoof ball, especially in the early stages of the game is the only way!
Go back to your cave man, you caveman!
I got the impression he didn’t much like Potter too, when he it was commented that he managed Potter whilst at Southampton. With a pre-historic scowl he spat out that it was ‘briefly’. Potter probably represents a moon to Souness, who can only point and marvel at a circle of light in the night sky illuminating the way!

I thought he was really complimentary about us! He didn't say all that at all, he said in the first 10mins or so against top quality opposition that press high, you cannot afford to give goals away - he was right, and he also said once the first went in, the 2nd should never happen as you should play the next 5 or 10mins cautiously and with minimal risk to get you back in the game. He praised our way of playing, said we'd really come on under Potter, and that we were arguably the better team for much of the game, but Potter echoed this in his post match comments, there is a line between being brave and positive and being naive. Did you listen to all his post match comments because I got a completely different impression on his view than you did?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I only judge his bias on what I hear come out of his mouth as a co-commentator, not what goes on outside in his life. Let's face it, many diehard Brighton fans on here are completely savage of our team and players, I'm not sure being a fan necessarily equals being bias. Like I said, because of all you've pointed out, I think he goes the other way if anything to avoid all those connections and accusations of bias. Carragher on the other hand I don't think is bright enough, or bothered about it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here