Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

James Wilson

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Not sure I can agree on that, yes he is better in front of goal and quicker but tbh Wilson offers absolutely nothing in build up play or for the team. Baldock runs the channels fantastically and on many occasions last season caused constant issues, just needs the goals to go with this work rate

I agree but as is often said he is a striker and should be scoring goals. Making a nuisance of himself is great and freeing up space is important too but his main job should be goals in the back of the net - not dragging players out of position?

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I agree but as is often said he is a striker and should be scoring goals. Making a nuisance of himself is great and freeing up space is important too but his main job should be goals in the back of the net - not dragging players out of position?

Very true, however Wilson's lack of off the ball movement means less opportunities. Both have good and bad attributes and Wilson scored some decent goals while with us but too often he was anonymous leaving the rest of the team to create him opportunities so for me he isn't an upgrade on Baldock. He isn't worse than him either.... They are very much on a par for me in terms of what they offer the side.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Very true, however Wilson's lack of off the ball movement means less opportunities. Both have good and bad attributes and Wilson scored some decent goals while with us but too often he was anonymous leaving the rest of the team to create him opportunities so for me he isn't an upgrade on Baldock. He isn't worse than him either.... They are very much on a par for me in terms of what they offer the side.

yeah fair enough. Perhaps that footballing intelligence comes with experience - Baldock is a fair bit older, and ideally something Wilson could be taught. I think Wilson would be a good signing which would most likely increase in value.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I think we can do better. Not sure about the alleged virus, but James W's all-round contribution / work rate was poor on far too many occasions. I am a 'strikers are there to score goals' person, hence why I believe we definitely need to acquire a Sam B upgrade, but I'm not sure James W is the answer TBH...

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I think we can do better. Not sure about the alleged virus, but James W's all-round contribution / work rate was poor on far too many occasions. I am a 'strikers are there to score goals' person, hence why I believe we definitely need to acquire a Sam B upgrade, but I'm not sure James W is the answer TBH...

Agree with this. The only nagging doubt in the back of my mind was he was brilliant when he first joined. In the games against Charlton, Derby and QPR, he caused lots of problems, scored twice and was a real threat. If that James Wilson was available on loan, he would definitely be worth signing.

For that reason, assuming he doesn't come here, I really hope he goes to a Premier League club so he doesn't come back to haunt us.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
I guess I am in a minority but I believe Wilson has potential and wouldn't be disappointed to sign him either permanently or on loan. With apparent premiership interest its not likely to happen and if that is the case I'm another who hopes its not another championship side.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
End of last season i slated Wilson, as did MANY others. I know he was still not up-to full fitness etc BUT i think now he knows he MUST impress Jose Mourinho (given Jose's reputation) taking him on loan could be perfect for us because he MUST give 110% to stay at Manchester United next season

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I left off a key part of that story. He didn't travel on their pre-season tour as he is being put on an intensive fitness regime rather than the suggestion that it was because he had no future at United.

Makes sense to focus on building the lad's strength up again following his officially-denied bout of glandular fever or whatever it was he had. A player as glaringly weak as the one we saw for most of his loan spell with us last season would have been shown the door by United by about the age of eleven.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
We have to sign him, there wasn't many Brighton fans who weren't excited about us signing him last season, he started well then was clearly unwell,get him in now before some other championship team gets him and ends up scoring 15plus goals for them !

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
A fit James Wilson would tear the Championship up.

I'd be delighted to see him and Murray link up.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Makes sense to focus on building the lad's strength up again following his officially-denied bout of glandular fever or whatever it was he had. A player as glaringly weak as the one we saw for most of his loan spell with us last season would have been shown the door by United by about the age of eleven.

Absolutely right. I don't give much of a **** what the official line is, he was struggling with some kind of illness. There is a bloody good footballer in there.

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
The lads got a bit of class about him. I don't care what Chailey Jem claims. There was deffo something wrong with him. Love him back

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Absolutely right. I don't give much of a **** what the official line is, he was struggling with some kind of illness. There is a bloody good footballer in there.

l agree, he never seemed 100% fit but he will be a fine player in the future. (see J. Lingard)

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
Haven't our fans learned with the likes of vokes etc? He now knows the Championship and after a full pre season of strength and conditioning training, with his pace and finishing could be excellent in this division.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here