Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] James McAtee - Bid rejected

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I thought it was happening, but apparently it's Norton now.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Less tempting for youngsters if we keep doing this - working their way up through the youth ranks, only to have the club fork out millions of pounds to bring in someone to queue jump them!

They’re either good enough or not. You can say the same about Lamptey …

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Perfect fit if plays left back and is a midfielder.

£8m is peanuts since if he plays a full season and does okay he’s worth at least £25m.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Mates a city fan and says he's the real deal, along with Cole Palmer probably the hottest prospect in their academy but wants a clear path to first team football. Problem City have is their academy is stacked, but so is their first team. Chelsea have a similar problem.

So, TBH, do we, at academy level anyway.

NcAtee in - the likes of Weir, Jenks and Leonard get pushed back, and maybe leave. We signed a young right back two or three years ago - forget his name* - then we signed Lamptey and he headed for the hills, knowing his chances here had more or less vanished (maybe he's been long-term injured, so out of contention, but I don't think so).

Edit: Remembered it now - * Romaric Yapi !

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
So, TBH, do we, at academy level anyway.

NcAtee in - the likes of Weir, Jenks and Leonard get pushed back, and maybe leave. We signed a young right back two or three years ago - forget his name - then we signed Lamptey and he headed for the hills, knowing his chances here had more or less vanished (maybe he's been long-term injured, so out of contention, but I don't think so).

It's unfortunate for the youngsters, but it is what will happen more if we want to progress. I suspect that a really young prospect coming all the way through to the first team will still be relatively rare, because of the huge changes in progress over very short periods that seem to be so common at that age. Hence the constant requirement to re-assess, and a lot of players 'bouncing' around the academies.

Look at Solly, Palace :dunky:, Eastbourne and Lewes before he became one of our youngsters, probably pushing out others who had been here longer.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
The other day on a man utd game, the commentator mentioned that it is the 4,000 and something consecutive game that Utd have started with at least 1 player from the youth team, stretches back to 1930 something. I know Utd are a massive club but that is remarkable. Would be interesting what our record is.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Teddy Jenks must be loving life at Aberdeen.All the homophobic abuse,not being a regular starter and all the time knowing that his chances of ever making the team here are virtually zilch!!

18 months ago he was training with the first-team squad!!

It's excellent experience for the lad. It was never going to be a one year loan away and then return straight to our first team in the Premier League. He knows where he is at the moment, what he needs to do and that next season he'll be in a different club on loan. I would argue that this season is slightly less important for him than next year will be. This season he needs to learn how other clubs train and prepare, see senior professionals going about their business and lives and grow as a player.

If he's the real deal, he'll come back wanting to spend his whole career with us in the Premier League and he'll work as hard as he can to get there. I imagine that a year on loan at Rochdale, with no disrespect to a fine Football League club, did Bobby Sanchez and Haydon Roberts no harm.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

Think he could have done better than sheff

I’ve been really impressed with this lad.

It wouldn’t surprise me if went in hard for him in the summer. Having seen 10 Albion goals go against him in the last few weeks, perhaps he can see why we’re brilliant and it’ll be time for him to leave the baddies and join the good guys.

An understudy for March? Perhaps.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
I’ve been really impressed with this lad.

It wouldn’t surprise me if went in hard for him in the summer. Having seen 10 Albion goals go against him in the last few weeks, perhaps he can see why we’re brilliant and it’ll be time for him to leave the baddies and join the good guys.

An understudy for March? Perhaps.

Agreed, he was definitely a bright spark for them. Some classy touches.

Wouldn’t surprise me if we signed KDH from Leicester and he went there as his replacement

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
He looked a cut above the rest of their players today, not that we allowed the chance to make much happen. Think he'd do well in our team.
He was definitely the player I noticed most on their side. But maybe that's because he was the only one that seemed to do anything other than just trying to kick the shit out of our players?

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
He had that lovely bring down and control of a crossfield pass which was shown on MOTD2 at the end. Very Mitoma-esque.

Nicks

He was the only player on their side who might get into our side.
When they did have the 11 men for those 12 minutes he looked the most likely to cause us some damage, (until Colgate snatched the crown from him in the physical sense ) 😜

Reactions: cjd

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
He was the only player on their side who might get into our side.
When they did have the 11 men for those 12 minutes he looked the most likely to cause us some damage, (until Colgate snatched the crown from him in the physical sense ) 😜
Yes, he is the only player in their team who looks like a PL footballer. He will be one next season. I just wonder though, if Man City, stung by Palmer's success at Chelsea, will decide they want to hang on to this one.

My guess is that they will keep MacAtee and play him occasionally.

In terms of us signing him, my guess is that now his profile is higher, his fee would be higher, the algorithm's will say he no longer offers value as a signing. I think next season will see Facu and Enciso fight it out for the central deep lying forward position, with Moran the one being blooded in for the longer term.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here