Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Jake Paul vs Tommy Fury

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I think YouTube launched in 2005. Acquired by Google in 2006
And sure those YouTubers only came about more recently - what Wizard means is he likes YouTubers 😜

Didn’t realise Fury had faced so many bad record fighters but he is at 100% so needs some respect. Think Paul must have some talent - not just a ‘youtuber’ as they like to claim - been boxing a while now it seems. As others have said though, both very lucky and fortunate to be in a ‘big’ fight.

Apparently Paul deliberately told people Fury’s baby had been born before he had or something which is a bit naughty. Not that announcing something to X million total strangers is that important, having said that.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
But Jake Paul does have some boxing talent too, what most people don't like is the shortcut he's taken to the big pay days based on his name and You Tube fame.

By and large I've weened myself off Talksport, probably after another "Text in if you think United will win 6-0" phone-in but had it on today and didn't reach for the off switch on the way home. TS are pushing the fight having the radio rights and Carl Frampton was on who did a good job of educating me. In summary, Paul is improving with a bit of talent, Fury has fought a bunch of nobodies and has been blowing after 4 rounds in non competitive fights (or whatever the term was). He tipped up Paul to win.

I thought that was interesting in itself. Normally, an ex boxer wouldn't dream of going against his fellow pro so it's either personal - which it didn't seem to be - or Fury is indeed a bit shit.

I'll file that money making scheme in the bad ideas pile.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Whatever you view of pro wrestling Hulk Hogan and co worked bloody hard to reach the top of their profession. Hogan came through when the pro wrestling industry was still heavily protected and portrayed as real. They deliberately broke his ankle in his first training session to see if he had it in him to come back and wanted it enough.

The likes of Jake Paul who have gotten famous on You Tube and taken the short cut to the top are nothing like that. Paul actually looks like he's got a bit about him as a boxer but he should be doing it the right way from a sporting perspective of working his way up.

That said for fleecing idiots out of money to watch this sideshow you've got to admire him and his ability to self promote. I won't be watching.
So did Charles Hawtrey

1677189129892.png

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Legitimate contest or bordering on the realms of Hulk Hogan and co?

All a bit alien for the tradionalists, both fighters can best be described as novices, its only an 8 rounder for a kick off, but they will earn a reported $5million each.

Over 10 times what Leigh Wood got for defending (and ultimately losing) his world title at the weekend.

Has boxing sold its soul or do all us old fight fans have to move with the times and recognise market forces?
Jake Paul is to boxing what Jana Jameson is to lubricant.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Michael Buffer clearly accepting the ‘Arabs shilling’, “This is one of the most exciting contests I’ve been involved in my near 45 years in boxing!” Ffs.

Don’t expect a quick Fury knockout, if Paul visits the canvas early on he will probably be accorded a count of at least 25!

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Michael Buffer clearly accepting the ‘Arabs shilling’, “This is one of the most exciting contests I’ve been involved in my near 45 years in boxing!” Ffs.

Don’t expect a quick Fury knockout, if Paul visits the canvas early on he will probably be accorded a count of at least 25!
Extremely well paid hype man, whose sole job is great hype, says something hyperbolic?! Shocking!

Did you know he owns the copyright to the term “let’s get ready to rumble” in perpetuity, and has made circa $500m in rights to this phrase alone?

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
This event is about smoke and mirrors - deflecting from what it is which is two novice boxers not good enough to warrant world rankings.
They‘ve done a good job tbf. Jake Paul is an intriguing character And makes a strong case.
I wouldn‘t pay for it but it’s got my interest.

The Seagull

Jan 17, 2021
This fight is very much of its age. Being a big boxing fan I used to get annoyed at this sort of stuff, but now I watch it with my 12 year old son and we watch it together. We know it’s not to be taken seriously and it’s bubble gum boxing. We’ll never stop it. If you do want to watch some amateur boxing, there’s a show at the king Alfred next Saturday 👍🏻

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
For Jake Paul this is about boxing/beating a 'real boxer', but Tommy Fury is so early in a non exactly stunning career that its difficult to call him that. If Paul wins he gets to tell people he beat a proper boxer, if Fury wins he gets to legitimise his own career by saying this is what happens when you meet a proper boxer. But really this is 2 people who are basically novices.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
This event is about smoke and mirrors - deflecting from what it is which is two novice boxers not good enough to warrant world rankings.
They‘ve done a good job tbf. Jake Paul is an intriguing character And makes a strong case.
rort of the century isn't it , and now with oil money involved the sky is the limit , Tyson is right , if Tommy Fury doesn't clean Paul up then the careers of the two are going to see saw drastically .......Fury has to win this convincingly preferably knocking Paul t f out in spectacular fashion.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
My good lady asked me this morning who won the fight. She may of got the day wrong yet proves they have done a good job promoting this show as she rarely pays any interest in boxing.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Also deflecting from Saudi’s human rights record of course.
No one does sportswashing quite like boxing

Last edited:

Mortdecai

Aug 6, 2009
Kirkkonummi, Finland
Paul and Fury will fight for the opportunity to compete for gold. Mauricio Sulaiman, the WBC President, confirmed via a press release that Paul would earn a ranking number within the WBC’s cruiserweight division if he beats Fury. He later told Sun Sport that Fury would also receive a ranking if he beat Paul.

shit.jpg

The Seagull

Jan 17, 2021
Paul and Fury will fight for the opportunity to compete for gold. Mauricio Sulaiman, the WBC President, confirmed via a press release that Paul would earn a ranking number within the WBC’s cruiserweight division if he beats Fury. He later told Sun Sport that Fury would also receive a ranking if he beat Paul.

View attachment 157618
The same governing body that has just reinstated Conner Benn in its rankings with no discernible evidence other than he ate 36 eggs a day 🤦🏻

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
That's ridiculous, neither has done anything to warrant a ranking.

Fury has a record padded out by fighting bums with horrendous losing records. Paul has actually faced some legitimate fighters, but from the MMA world, none of whom were really known for their striking abilities inside the octagon. This is where both of them fall over as credible boxers, Paul has some skills and I'd be interested to see what he could do if he actually trained properly and worked his way up. Fury is trading off the family name and has nowhere near the skill of his older half brother, he's never been seriously tested in the ring.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
My good lady asked me this morning who won the fight. She may of got the day wrong yet proves they have done a good job promoting this show as she rarely pays any interest in boxing.
Bit ashamed to say we’ve bought the fight - first time I think I ever have - and it’s down to the Mrs being interested 🤣🤦🏻‍♂️

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Bit ashamed to say we’ve bought the fight - first time I think I ever have - and it’s down to the Mrs being interested 🤣🤦🏻‍♂️
Probably because Fury was on Love Island a Lover Islander v You tuber to be fair it holds some interest I’m glad I have a fire stick though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here