Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ivan Toney: clever or cheating?

Ivan Toney moving the ball is...

• Clever

Votes: 49 18.6%
  • Cheating

Votes: 215 81.4%

• Total voters

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Well yeah, I think we agree. Stepping over the line is trivial, taking a whole yard is a liberty.
So when is it no longer trivial - 6" 12" . . . ?

What are the laws regarding the temporary marks made by the ref - are they any more mandatory than when the position for a free kick is indicated by a gesture but is often totally ignored?

mile oak

May 21, 2023
He is a cheat. He cheated braking betting rules (what a mug) and cheated with FK. HE IS A CHEAT. He moved the vanishing spray. Ok to move it 2 or 3 inches but not 6 or 7, how about 10 or 12? The vanishing cream line is there for a reason. He cheated there is no other outcome and in the spirit of he game its very disappointing that with all the officials out there they didnt pick up on this.

Last edited:

thejackal

Throbbing Member
Oct 22, 2008
Brighthelmstone
So when is it no longer trivial - 6" 12" . . . ?

What are the laws regarding the temporary marks made by the ref - are they any more mandatory than when the position for a free kick is indicated by a gesture but is often totally ignored?
No I think you're right. Players inch over the line but crossing the line completely & blatantly is obviously wrong.

The laws are all online. They change every year. I'm not convinced the refs read them either.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
It’s god awful refereeing from the entire set of officials, VAR watched him do it and allowed it to happen, I disagree with what he did and the nonsensical hero narrative from the press but if anything it just highlights the pure incompetence in some of the officiating in this country.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
It's cheating.
What's more concerning is further proof of incompetent/corrupt officials.

The ref had his back to Toney whilst sorting out the wall

Couldn't see the lino and what he was doing

It's not in the VAR rules to point it out either.

Unless he has eyes in the back of his head, im not sure what you want the ref to do?

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010

Unless he has eyes in the back of his head, im not sure what you want the ref to do?
Refs I’m sure will now start checking, has my foam mark been tampered with / moved. If it has the ref will presumably ask him to move it back / redraw the foam.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Once you opened VAR you opened a Pandora’s box. Pre VAR Forest would not be making a complaint over something so trivial. Their wall and their keeper should have seen this and adjusted. They didn’t. Stop crying over it.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

Nothing he could do at the time if VAR couldn't get involved, but Toney can now be charged and banned......again.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
He is a cheat. He cheated braking betting rules (what a mug) and cheated with FK. HE IS A CHEAT. He moved the vanishing spray. Ok to move it 2 or 3 inches but not 6 or 7, how about 10 or 12? The vanishing cream line is there for a reason. He cheated there is no other outcome and in the spirit of he game its very disappointing that with all the officials out there they didnt pick up on this.
But now they have the opportunity to act, charge him retrospectively and ban him.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Yes, the referee has marked where the ball is so the free kick is taken there, and the wall marked 10 yards away.
I think the key thing to remember is the foam line drawn by the ref indicates the ball should be behind the line. Toney moved the ball sideways, not forwards and he effectively extended the refs line. Who’s to know whether the spot where the ball was originally placed was the exact spot the foul took place anyway ? I just think he was extremely clever and exploited the fact that the Forest wall wasn’t paying attention, otherwise they could have just taken a step to their left before Toney stood back to take the shot.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Well he did have a lot riding on it ! :lolol:
IMG_3454.jpeg

Baldrick

Aug 24, 2020
Brentford are well know for coaching players to make the most of set pieces. I suspect the movement of the ball and foam was pre-planned if the opportuinty arose. Toney was just carrying ot instructions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here