Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ivan Toney: clever or cheating?

Ivan Toney moving the ball is...

• Clever

Votes: 49 18.6%
  • Cheating

Votes: 215 81.4%

• Total voters

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
That's not quite the same as when the ref has marked a specific point from which to take the free kick though.
Of course it is - every player does it for an advantage. Same as some corners which are almost definitely just outside the area

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It's a matter of a handful of inches he moves it - nothing compared to many free kicks or even throw ins. And besides, if the defender on the right end of the wall had actually stood his ground rather than jump further into the wall the ball wouldn't have even got to the goal. Much ado about nothing IMHO.
It wasn't though. He's moved it at least a foot and half (he moves it twice). If the ref had seen it he would have moved it back. Toney made sure the ref was facing the other way. What is odd is what the hell did Husdon-Odoi think he was doing. There were no players out wide so he could have taken a step across and added to the wall. Would suspect the forest manager could be having words with him in private.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Of course it is - every player does it for an advantage. Same as some corners which are almost definitely just outside the area
We don't go marching down the wing to gain yards, we go the opposite way normally :ROFLMAO: . And if it's Lamptey we know it's an U9's throw inbound.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
It’s clever gamesmanship. One of those if one of your team do it it’s cool. One of theirs and they’re an instant cheating shithouse.

Suspect a law change to enable VAR to look for such offences as a reason to not award future similar goals. Resulting in yellow card (unsportsmanlike conduct) and a retaken free kick.
Does it need VAR? Can't he be charged in retrospect for unsporting behaviour under existing rules.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Just a further thought, in pre foam spray days, the ref used to draw out a line with his boot to indicate were the defensive wall should be. It wasn't uncommon if the ref was occupied with something else for a defender to effectively rub out this line, and draw another one a yard or two closer to where the free kick was to be taken.

Is Toney's action any different to this, just a modern take.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Just a further thought, in pre foam spray days, the ref used to draw out a line with his boot to indicate were the defensive wall should be. It wasn't uncommon if the ref was occupied with something else for a defender to effectively rub out this line, and draw another one a yard or two closer to where the free kick was to be taken.

Is Toney's action any different to this, just a modern take.
Which is why I think the lino should keep an eye on things whilst the ref is busy. After all, they are required to watch the keeper is on the line at penalties.

Last edited:

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I'd rather we didn't have a game where we get worked up over exactly where every free kick was taken, down to the nearest centimetre. Toney was obviously trying to gain advantage and we all know he tries to game the system, but the defence should have been paying attention.

It is cheating, but things like this often make the game more entertaining. Imagine VAR for where every single free kick should be taken....

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Let’s watch tomorrow to see how many times a Brighton players keeps walking down the touchline to gain yards from a throw in. Or throws the ball forwards a bit for a free kick 🙄
I don't get the comparison as the advantage from the throw in is small while what Toney did had huge advantage (yes, because Forest were extremely dopey). No one scores a goal direct from a throw in position! It's just bad taste and very unsporting imo and no amount of whataboutery will convince me otherwise. Just another bad example for kids to follow about how cheating pays. Disappointed they didn't call it out on MOTD (not surprised when it's pratt Shearer and thug Williams. For all his critics if Lineker was presenting last night maybe he might have called it for what it was. Has he tweeted?).

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
That's not quite the same as when the ref has marked a specific point from which to take the free kick though.

There is a specific point........... The Ball should be thrown from where the ball crossed the line.
Unlike Toney who moved it perhaps a foot.
Ball throwers often go to take throw from a couple of yards forward then take another couple of strides before throwing Ball.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I'd rather we didn't have a game where we get worked up over exactly where every free kick was taken, down to the nearest centimetre. Toney was obviously trying to gain advantage and we all know he tries to game the system, but the defence should have been paying attention.

It is cheating, but things like this often make the game more entertaining. Imagine VAR for where every single free kick should be taken....
One of my issues with VAR is how it's randomly used on certain things and not others (I don't want more VAR)

He moved a free kick and scored from it, which can't be looked at, but they are happy to rule goals out for a suspect off side.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Don't know why the defence is given time to make a wall and position it, so not that fussed if he shifts it a bit. Rule needs clarifying, as sometimes the ref allows a quick kick to be taken, and others they give the defence ages to organise, and sometimes they tell Dunk he can take it, then change their mind while the ball is travelling toward the goal.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Slightly off topic.

But the sky coverage of him and treating him like some returning hero was a complete farce.

Let's all promote a man who was banned for 8 months.
Yeah, I said much the same when we were watching. The coverage isn’t his fault though and his all round performance given the circumstances was very good. I didn’t realise how good he is at the simple things like passing the ball.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Yeah, I said much the same when we were watching. The coverage isn’t his fault though and his all round performance given the circumstances was very good. I didn’t realise how good he is at the simple things like passing the ball.
I don't he is as good as made out myself, I'm sure I'll be proved wrong when he hits 30 for Chelsea in one season.

The whole Brentford team is set up to play to his strengths and play on counter, would he get that elsewhere?

His open play goal record is pretty meh

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
It’s clever gamesmanship. One of those if one of your team do it it’s cool. One of theirs and they’re an instant cheating shithouse.

Suspect a law change to enable VAR to look for such offences as a reason to not award future similar goals. Resulting in yellow card (unsportsmanlike conduct) and a retaken free kick.
This!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here