Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It's time. We're going up.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Too many writing Hudds off, they could easily beat Norwich tonight and be back in with a great chance, we have 2 away games coming up, one against a team that has won its last 5 games...

Sure Hudds need to put a great run together and hope we slip up a couple of times, but they have had and are capable of winning 5 or 6 on the bounce.

A few need to just calm down a bit.

How many of their last 5 have they won? This isn't about other clubs it's about us. If we can't manage the last 6 games and get across the line, then it says more about us as a club then about two sides having to win almost all of their games to get automatic promotion.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
...nor would Mo Farah be running with his arms in the air in the last 100 even if 10 metres ahead etc etc

Brighton's own Steve Ovett did though. And that turned out ok.

Oh.

(Can we blame Palace for this one?)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You've never heard of any of these then...

Newcastle United - 1995/96 Premier League
Devon Loch - 1956 Grand National
Arsenal 4 - 4 Newcastle United - 2011
Greg Norman - 1996 Masters
Jimmy White - 1994 Snooker World Championship
Diana Ross - 1994 Football World Cup

Shirley that's the better example :lol:

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
How many of their last 5 have they won? This isn't about other clubs it's about us. If we can't manage the last 6 games and get across the line, then it says more about us as a club then about two sides having to win almost all of their games to get automatic promotion.

Too right we just need to remain calm and be confident in the fact that we're considerably better than the rest of the teams in this division bar Newcastle. Obviously we're not used to being in this position but we just need to have the sort of confidence the north stand has been showing for months. They know it, they believe it

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
We're up.

I mean, come on! When was the last time we were out of the top two?!
We've been heading for promotion since we kicked off the season against Forest.
We have two shockingly terrible teams to play at home and 89 points will be enough to win promotion.

Hudds job is to win the mini league of the also rans.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
It never ceases to amaze me the number of negative nancy's(sorry, 'realists') about. It's going to take a catastrophic **** up for us to not get promoted from here. Yes, someone mentioned half a dozen catastrophic sporting **** ups...but that should give us comfort rather than the fear. Half a dozen **** ups in god knows how many thousands of major sporting events? In reality we need somewhere between 6-10 more points so we're not there yet but we're very, very close. What does it say about your confidence in our players if you think we're going to blow it from here?

And for all those people saying things along the line of 'this is brighton, we always make things difficult/I've been following Brighton too long to think it will be anything other than difficult:

When have we been in a position similar to this and made it difficult? The last time we were here was 2010/11. We smashed it.

The previous time we were in the top two going into the final few games? 2001/02. We smashed it.

The time before that? 2000/01. Yep, you guessed it(or maybe you didn't?), we smashed it.

Basically, relax, have faith in the team, don't panic if we go behind, or lose a game or Huddersfield win. Enjoy these final six games for what they are - the final steps to promotion to the premier league and our appearance in the top flight for what will be the first time in many of our Albion supporting lives.

Come ONNNNN!!!!!:albion2:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
6 wins, 5 wins, 4 wins, 3 wins + 3 draws - UP

3 wins + 1 draw - UP if Huddersfield drop 2 points.

3 wins, 2 wins + 3 draws - UP if Huddersfield drop 3 points.

2 wins + 2 draws - UP if Huddersfield drop 4 points.

2 wins + 1 draw.... Reading now in the mix as well.

etc. etc.

Looks pretty good overall.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Worst case scenario - Huddersfield win 8 from 8.

If they do that, then we need 12 points from our next 6 games. 4 wins. Or 3 wins and 3 draws.

But realistically, I would expect Hudds to drop more points. They've got key players missing, and they've got a potentially tricky run of PNE, Derby, Fulham to negotiate. They may even face a Birmingham team desperate to prevent relegation (as dire as they were last night, they could cause a shock with enough to play for).

It's a long way from over yet, but we're clearly in a very, very strong position.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Whilst it may not be mathematically over, on the balance of probability it almost certainly is.

We are on 83 points, have 6 games to play and we are 12 points ahead of Hudders on 71. With our GD that’s 13 points. They have 8 to play, max 24 points. Even if we go through a (by our standards) rough patch of 2-2-2 we’d be on 91 points. Hudders would need to secure a run of 7-0-1 to overtake us and, on the balance of probability, that isn’t likely to happen. Reading are on 73 and if they won all 6 games they’d be on 91 with a worse GD than us, so that’s fine (as well as a highly unlikely outcome).

With Reading now in 3rd place and Hudders 4th on the back of two successive defeats they’ll surely now be focused on finishing 3rd to get 2nd leg home advantage in the playoffs. Wagner will be setting them up psychologically for that IMHO, rather than chasing us for 2nd. I think that Burton’s 96th minute goal on Saturday will be seen as a defining moment in the promotion race, which is what I felt at the time I was going nuts in the WSL concourse when the goal was announced.

Yes, I know, we still have a job to do to get across the finish line but CH and the lads will ensure we achieve at least 2-2-2 (and 1-3-2 will probably be good enough). Reading or Hudders are statistically unlikely to catch us now.

Time to buy your streamers, flags and banners ladies and gents in readiness for Albion’s party. With a bit of luck – and Reading and Hudders losing a couple here and there – we’ll be officially up after the Wigan game (which was my prediction months ago) or perhaps Norwich. Villa Park is going to be a carnival - whether we finish 2nd or 1st - and best of all it's just up the road from me and I can be there in less than an hour!

Enjoy every second of the party as we will all be part of Albion’s history having witnessed two incredible seasons that will live long in the memory of everyone who was privileged enough to witness them and be part of the journey. Even more incredible is that 20 years ago we almost slipped into oblivion. What this club has achieved in the last two decades is nothing short of a miracle, is what makes our club so special to everyone who follows it and is a feeling almost impossible to describe to those who've not shared the experience.

Believe. We are going up. We really, really are!
OK, you talked me into it :thumbsup:

edit: Also, it's not like Huddersfield are in exactly sparkling form at present.

Last edited:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Chickens still in the coup - but also no sign of fox threats.

If Villa is to be the mother of all parties and our lads are on the beach [aka mathematically safe], would you be bothered with a 4-0 drubbing?

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
While last season was something to be immensely proud of, I never quite believed that we'd have enough to make it. This year we've been like BHAFC 15/16 2.0. Every player looks stronger, better, even taller. We have been such a force and the togetherness of our club at the moment is something I genuinely haven't seen before. On a few occasions this season, I've found myself just welling up due to the position we've found ourselves in. I was in a state of semi-psychosis for most of Fulham away post-Dunk's goal. Last night, I was also very close to tears pre-match due to the unbelievable atmosphere being created by a stadium full of fans who now truly believe. This must have been made to look even more tragic by the fact I was sitting on my own... I must confess to having spent most of the past 2 years wanting the games to be won and out of the way so as to avoid the agony of waiting for the inevitable cock-up. Even in this position with 6 games left, I can't shake that feeling that I want it all to be over. However, it's really important for us to understand the significance of what our team is doing at the moment. We have to try and enjoy it as much as possible, as it will possibly go down as one of the great periods in the history of the club.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
While last season was something to be immensely proud of, I never quite believed that we'd have enough to make it. This year we've been like BHAFC 15/16 2.0. Every player looks stronger, better, even taller. We have been such a force and the togetherness of our club at the moment is something I genuinely haven't seen before. On a few occasions this season, I've found myself just welling up due to the position we've found ourselves in. I was in a state of semi-psychosis for most of Fulham away post-Dunk's goal. Last night, I was also very close to tears pre-match due to the unbelievable atmosphere being created by a stadium full of fans who now truly believe. This must have been made to look even more tragic by the fact I was sitting on my own... I must confess to having spent most of the past 2 years wanting the games to be won and out of the way so as to avoid the agony of waiting for the inevitable cock-up. Even in this position with 6 games left, I can't shake that feeling that I want it all to be over. However, it's really important for us to understand the significance of what our team is doing at the moment. We have to try and enjoy it as much as possible, as it will possibly go down as one of the great periods in the history of the club.

Too right, this season has just been incredible. It's not over yet but what a journey it's been.

Jan 30, 2008
If you honestly, seriously, disagree with this statement, then let's hear it right now.

We're going up, we're by-passing the play-offs, and this is going to be the most successful Brighton side that the world has ever seen.

12 points clear. 6 games to play. Imagine if these stats were the other way around. We'd have given up long ago.

Will we lose again? Probably. If we don't, it's not even going to be close. Over the course of the season, we're so much better than Huddersfield. We've done it this time, there can be no argument. Going up up up.

We're on our way!!!
:facepalm:
regards
DR

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
Reading this thread is like having a window into my internal monologue.
My head says we're as good as there, my heart keeps screaming, 'We could get injuries, cards, acts of god! Don't curse it you fool!'.

I have a feeling in a most unbrighton like way, we're just simply going to cruise it. Thank you Hughton and his squad.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I have a feeling in a most unbrighton like way, we're just simply going to cruise it.

Why do people keep saying this? We've cruised all of our recent promotions.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Last season?

Last season we were in 6th going into the new year, and steadily made ground on the top two, before just falling short at the end. This year is completely different.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here