Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] "It's not VAR, it's the people running it"

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I was watching the Salernitana game.

I wanted them to win of course, but Juve scored a perfectly good winning goal.

The selling point of VAR is to eliminate the terrible decision. It's actually doing the opposite. It's taking good decisions and reversing them. It's creating controversy where there is none.

It should be removed in full and immediately

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
[tweet]1569068092445134851[/tweet]

What I find notable, is the way the commentators aren't blaming the ref for applying the laws of the game, or ranting about how VAR is draining the fun out of football. On the contrary, they seem to be revelling in the scenes. I often wonder what the consensus would be on refereeing/VAR if the commentators and analysts in English football responded the way the commentators do in that clip, wonder how much the conversation is shaped by the commentators and analysts. Though I suspect most wouldn't like to think their thoughts are anything other than individual and self formed.

As I can't see the clip due to being a ****ing foreigner I don't know which commentators these are, but on the (English-speaking) stream I watched yesterday during the game, just before the game restarted after ruling out the goal, both commentators said they thought the ref made the wrong decision.

VAR and some of its decisions are very controversial in other leagues as well. The narrative that it is working flawlessly outside the PL is 100% a myth.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
As I can't see the clip due to being a ****ing foreigner I don't know which commentators these are, but on the (English-speaking) stream I watched yesterday during the game, just before the game restarted after ruling out the goal, both commentators said they thought the ref made the wrong decision.

VAR and some of its decisions are very controversial in other leagues as well. The narrative that it is working flawlessly outside the PL is 100% a myth.

Who has claimed it is flawless outside the EPL?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Who has claimed it is flawless outside the EPL?

Ok, that was an exaggeration but "everywhere else it seems to be working reasonably well" and "it works well in other countries" are common comments.

Everywhere else and in other countries, they don't seem to agree with that take.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
This is doing the rounds on Twitter apparently the VAR did not pick up the defender playing him onside. Shows VAR is not just a PL issue but ruining games abroad as well

8b0726853602068fd54a5e1216b4dda5.jpg

Astonishing. How can they totally miss a player like that??

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Astonishing. How can they totally miss a player like that??

The main tv camera was on the other side of the pitch and the VAR picture on TV just showed what was going on in the box.

Clearly they didn't have it set up to view the width of the pitch.

It's a catastrophic individual error, but also it's system over-riding an individual, the lino, who had a perfectly good view.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The main tv camera was on the other side of the pitch and the VAR picture on TV just showed what was going on in the box.

Clearly they didn't have it set up to view the width of the pitch.

It's a catastrophic individual error, but also it's system over-riding an individual, the lino, who had a perfectly good view.

Possibly, but you don't know what the Lino has said to the ref!

Either way, it's a massive cock up.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
I was discussing this yesterday with my Juve supporting colleague. There's no other way to cut it, Juve were totally robbed there. It's utterly baffling.

I can only conclude that Candreva (the guy playing everybody onside) must have a cloak of VAR invisibility.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
This one is fantastic - classic case of misdirection. Everyone is concentrating on the action in the box and completely missed the defender near the corner - hes hiding in plain sight. I love that Serie claim that they did take the player into account - and still see it as offside, i.e. a blatent obvious untruth, rather than admit that they just made a mistake.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Serie A to introduce the semi-automatic offside tech in October.

Probably will see in the PL after the World Cup, I would imagine.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Serie A to introduce the semi-automatic offside tech in October.

Probably will see in the PL after the World Cup, I would imagine.

and what exactly is semi automatic!! It's auto unless someone in the office disagrees and there is an overide button? It only happens on one side of the pitch, it's getting worse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here