[Football] "It's not VAR, it's the people running it"

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It is if you earned £20-50k per week for years

What do you think players in League One or League Two here earn?

No one thinks that Adam Lallana or James Milner are going to suddenly train to be top level referees but a guy in his early thirties who has been a journeyman around the EFL would have the game knowledge, fitness and bank balance to retrain.

It's also an aspirational salary for a decent non league player.

You dismissing it is, frankly, odd.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
What do you think players in League One or League Two here earn?

No one thinks that Adam Lallana or James Milner are going to suddenly train to be top level referees but a guy in his early thirties who has been a journeyman around the EFL would have the game knowledge, fitness and bank balance to retrain.

It's also an aspirational salary for a decent non league player.

You dismissing it is, frankly, odd.

It's a good point about non league players but then they don't tend to retire at the same age as professionals. Think they just work their way down the leagues as the legs start to slow down. Let's be honest, unless you were in need of a job I suspect most would prefer to keep playing for as long as possible and by then could be too old to get on the ref ladder.

That said, it could be something the FA could promote.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
For £70k?

The man doesn't strike me as Mr Sensible exactly but I know most ref organisations has been pushing for ex-players to go in that direction so he could be a pioneer.

Unless its just talk.

How much have you listened to him over say the past year to make that judgement?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I'm no fan of VAR, never have been. But if you're suggesting VAR is being used / manipulated to satisfy the Asian betting markets, then I'm afraid I'll have to call "Bobbins". Its not corruption. Its just plain old-fashioned rank incompetence.

To suggest the dribbling line-drawing goons at Stockley Park with their crayons are even remotely sophisticated enough to make decisions in accordance with a sinister underground Hong Kong betting syndicate is rather fanciful.

Ha ha. No, no quite the opposite. I’m suggesting that VAR (and other technology) is trying it’s best to make sure the correct key decisions are made, particularly on issues where gambling is most popular, eg goals scored, scorer, red cards, final score.

Getting it wrong is purely down to incompetence of the humans involved

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Ha ha. No, no quite the opposite. I’m suggesting that VAR (and other technology) is trying it’s best to make sure the correct key decisions are made, particularly on issues where gambling is most popular, eg goals scored, scorer, red cards, final score.

We are in agreement then sir!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I think you’ll need to ask him that ..I merely answered the dismissive suggestion made…after hearing Murphy and Adrian Durham discussing the VAR controversy (yet again) this evening

im just highlighting the talk is cheap. a few ex-players seem to fancy being dropped into the VAR process for their unique perspective, without being refs first.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

I strongly suspect your first paragraph is absolutely correct. An attempt to legitimize and therefore increase volumes in the Asian football gambling market. The game has been stolen from match going fans.
We will have to agree to disagree on your second point. VAR is being exposed at the moment because football is all about subjective rather than objective decisions.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
The same people who used to make inconsistent and subjective decisions on the pitch now do it off it as well. Who could possibly have seen this coming …….

Just bin it off and give football back to the match going fans

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I strongly suspect your first paragraph is absolutely correct. An attempt to legitimize and therefore increase volumes in the Asian football gambling market. The game has been stolen from match going fans.
We will have to agree to disagree on your second point. VAR is being exposed at the moment because football is all about subjective rather than objective decisions.

I think you've missed the point TIMBA was making. The vast sums of money involved in Asian betting markets opens the door to corruption and VAR should be eliminating dodgy decisions which might not be down to subjectivity but more the potential of a brown envelope in a back pocket!!

As for his second point, it's seems to most that it is incompetence that is lowering standards. You've only got to look at the Brentford game where Leeds were denied a penalty when a player was pulled back from behind with a hand on his shoulder and tripped yet seconds later the so called high bar for physical contact was breached by a minimal amount of contact near the half way line and free kick given!!! The mere fact that the PGMOL have acknowledged the errors at Chelsea and Newcastle is indicative of that.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I think you've missed the point TIMBA was making. The vast sums of money involved in Asian betting markets opens the door to corruption and VAR should be eliminating dodgy decisions which might not be down to subjectivity but more the potential of a brown envelope in a back pocket!!

As for his second point, it's seems to most that it is incompetence that is lowering standards. You've only got to look at the Brentford game where Leeds were denied a penalty when a player was pulled back from behind with a hand on his shoulder and tripped yet seconds later the so called high bar for physical contact was breached by a minimal amount of contact near the half way line and free kick given!!! The mere fact that the PGMOL have acknowledged the errors at Chelsea and Newcastle is indicative of that.

I think I am saying much the same as him. I don’t doubt the authorities are trying to make decisions ‘better.’ Separately I don’t think it’s possible so doesn’t achieve the certainty required by gambling syndicates and it comes at too high a cost for the match going fan. Come to think of it tv fans as well. The McAllister disallowed goal fiasco made for quite a flat feeling only overcome by the subsequent goals.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Can’t help thinking there should be a time limit on VAR decisions.
30 seconds max to determine a «clear and obvious error» is more than enough.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
[tweet]1569068092445134851[/tweet]

What I find notable, is the way the commentators aren't blaming the ref for applying the laws of the game, or ranting about how VAR is draining the fun out of football. On the contrary, they seem to be revelling in the scenes. I often wonder what the consensus would be on refereeing/VAR if the commentators and analysts in English football responded the way the commentators do in that clip, wonder how much the conversation is shaped by the commentators and analysts. Though I suspect most wouldn't like to think their thoughts are anything other than individual and self formed.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It is if you earned £20-50k per week for years

......and are now earning nothing. True, some players may not need or want to work ever again, but watching a match closely once a week and getting paid £70K a year for it. It ain't hard, it doesn't impinge much on your everlasting leisure time. Might as well do something on a Saturday afternoon Bit of pocket money, eh?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
[tweet]1569068092445134851[/tweet]

What I find notable, is the way the commentators aren't blaming the ref for applying the laws of the game, or ranting about how VAR is draining the fun out of football. On the contrary, they seem to be revelling in the scenes. I often wonder what the consensus would be on refereeing/VAR if the commentators and analysts in English football responded the way the commentators do in that clip, wonder how much the conversation is shaped by the commentators and analysts. Though I suspect most wouldn't like to think their thoughts are anything other than individual and self formed.

This is doing the rounds on Twitter apparently the VAR did not pick up the defender playing him onside. Shows VAR is not just a PL issue but ruining games abroad as well

8b0726853602068fd54a5e1216b4dda5.jpg

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
This is doing the rounds on Twitter apparently the VAR did not pick up the defender playing him onside. Shows VAR is not just a PL issue but ruining games abroad as well

Defender not interfering with play? I'm sure some local pundit would have pedalled similar shite if the UK is anything to go by

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Again the amazing drama is robbed from the fans, the team and the match result. No-one on either team nor the officials thought that was offside. Bin var immediately.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Whatever the rights or wrong of decision there will be riots at grounds if players and coaches behave like that. Something must be done about players surrounding refs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here