Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "It’s like the old Billy Gilmour we’ve got back."

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Isn't that what we thought about Potter, roughly this time last year?
Potter’s comments on the club and the fans (playing up the Leeds booing, for example) hinted for some time that he felt we’d hit our limits and he was getting a bit too big for us. De Zerbi’s attitude publicly (and track record) is very different. He revels in the underdog status and developing young players. Time will tell. Can’t see him being with us next season but simply because one of the clubs of far bigger stature than Newcastle will see him as the future. It’s a no-brainer for the likes of City, Barca etc

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Potter’s comments on the club and the fans (playing up the Leeds booing, for example) hinted for some time that he felt we’d hit our limits and he was getting a bit too big for us. De Zerbi’s attitude publicly (and track record) is very different. He revels in the underdog status and developing young players. Time will tell. Can’t see him being with us next season but simply because one of the clubs of far bigger stature than Newcastle will see him as the future. It’s a no-brainer for the likes of City, Barca etc
Hmmm - not sure many people thought that at the time. Mind you, we all knew he was a good manager then, and doing a great job at Brighton - an opinion that has later been revised!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
His ONE bad touch all game resulted in him setting up Evan for the second 🤣

I remember thinking when we signed him not to take any notice of the Norwich loan spell or their fans’ views. He was in a shite team and in and out of it. Just needed a run of games and some confidence…!

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
Other than Wee Billy and the FBs is there anyone in the Scots side that’s any good currently ? Just no one immediately springs to mind 🤔
just looked J McGinn Angus Gunn perhaps
Tierney, McGinn, McTominay, McGregor is and is wasted at Celtic. As you say our fullbacks are all very decent, I don’t know how we managed to get so many good ones.

Ferguson at Bologna is looking great as well. Our forwards aren’t world beaters but they do well In the overall system

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Apologies if this has already been posted, but it came up on my news feed this morning.
I know it's the Express (sorry), but read it anyway. Wow.

'The 22-year-old did not lose the ball once.'
It says he got an assist for Fergie's 2nd goal, which is true, but surely he got an assist for the 1st goal as well?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I thought he was outstanding today.

Possibly a consideration for Garth's Best Player Bingo XI - with 90% of the comment about Eddie Howe's job being at risk :lol:
Would be a good ‘in’ for Garth to write a few paragraphs about Chelsea vs Forest and how they need him back!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Hmmm - not sure many people thought that at the time. Mind you, we all knew he was a good manager then, and doing a great job at Brighton - an opinion that has later been revised!
Agreed. It’s probably not what people thought at the time but made perfect sense when looking back on his comments. A De Zerbi walk out would be even more startling, given how committed he seems to the cause and his “sky’s the limit” attitude. Personally, never revised my opinion of Potter. He was very good. Laid a lot of ground work that’s helped us to get where we are and his eventual success taught the fans to accept the merits of patient, possession football (helped very much by playing a hell of a lot of games behind closed doors during Covid without people screaming at players to ‘get it forward’).

Fergus the Schnoodle

Aug 12, 2023
Tierney, McGinn, McTominay, McGregor is and is wasted at Celtic. As you say our fullbacks are all very decent, I don’t know how we managed to get so many good ones.

Ferguson at Bologna is looking great as well. Our forwards aren’t world beaters but they do well In the overall system
Aaron Hickey too.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
It says he got an assist for Fergie's 2nd goal, which is true, but surely he got an assist for the 1st goal as well?
For a while the BBC had him down as providing the assist for the first goal, but I see that assist has now disappeared.

I don't know what constitutes an assist if it isn't obvious, but I'm guessing that someone has studied the rules, and deemed Gilmour's strike that was parried by Pope, was not 'an assist' but a shot on goal.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm not so sure. The lecture about reading history didn't go down too well.
In retrospect GP was very thin skinned. Going to Chelsea was a complete disaster for him, bank balance aside.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here