Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "It’s like the old Billy Gilmour we’ve got back."

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
His emergence and form toward the end of the season was probably the most underrated thing (by the outside world) in the last few weeks of the season, a time when everyone was more focused on Enciso as being the breakthrough star. It meant we could play Caicedo as an emergency right back and didn't lose out a huge amount from doing so.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Love to see him given a first team squad number. Loads floating about.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
These comments when he got his chance earlier in year show the succession planning we have

“I took my opportunity,” Billy said. “Of course it’s hard to fill in for Moises [Caicedo] and Alexis [Mac Allister] who have been doing a brilliant job all season and I’ve had to be patient, I tried to take my opportunity.

When they’ve played I’ve watched them, studied them, the way they receive the ball and break the lines and they’ve been absolutely brilliant. In training I’ve been trying to do that as well, to get my opportunity to do that in the game, so it felt good.

A lesson for Big Bob in there. When you're being kept out of the team, improve the areas that are keeping you out. Great hopes for wee Billy :ascarf:

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
as a Scotland fan it's particularly great to see him do well. Prior to his Norwich loan he was looking like he could become a standout player for the national team but dipped a bit. He's still young and finished the season absolutely brilliantly

Scotland have lacked in good creative players for decades and he could well be the answer

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Fair play to him last season. I didn't know about all the off field problems (which must be a nightmare for anyone let alone being so young) but he never once appeared to flounce and display a bad attitude. He worked hard and got his chance towards the end of the season and played really well.

Good luck to him for the forthcoming season. If he keeps improving maybe we won't need to so many midfielders to replace Big Mac and the likely loss of Caicedo.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
But with all the stalker stuff going on was Gilmour ok to play?
I think that was in the Autumn, and agree that would have affected him. I think he could have been used earlier in the New Year, but can understand that RDZ played Moises and Alexis for as long as he possibly could.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Love to see him given a first team squad number. Loads floating about.
Realistically we could lose/sell Sanchez (1), Lamptey (2), Colwill (6). We've already lost Mwepu (8), Mac Allister (10) and Trossard (11) and didn't have a 9 anyway after Maupay left., so we'll have 1, 2, 3, 6, 8, 9, 10 and 11 which is a LOT.

Exciting though

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
Realistically we could lose/sell Sanchez (1), Lamptey (2), Colwill (6). We've already lost Mwepu (8), Mac Allister (10) and Trossard (11) and didn't have a 9 anyway after Maupay left., so we'll have 1, 2, 3, 6, 8, 9, 10 and 11 which is a LOT.

Exciting though
Dahoud will probably pick 8 as it was his number at Dortmund. Milner can't have his usual #7 so he may go back to #16 which was the number he wore at Newcastle . If you don't get any more midfielders, that could leave Gilmour free to get the 6, which he used to wear in Chelsea's youth team.

shibainu

Mar 9, 2023
Japan
I think BG is better a passer than Macca. His decision making is faster and more creative, and produces nice attacking threat. Ball carrying and press resistance are what he might lack compared with Macca. Anyway he's still 22 and has enough time ahead of him to develop. Can't wait to see what the new season will bring!

Last edited:

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

Gilmour graft and craft recognised​

FT: Scotland 2-0 Georgia
a0d83ab9-2a61-4d72-873c-dbafb2160b27.jpg

Amy Canavan
BBC Scotland at Hampden Park
A big, big hug for Billy Gilmour from Steve Clarke as his name got announced as a fitting player of the match for this evening.
What a shift from the wee man.
Billy Gilmour was given a warm ovation after his late substitution

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Changed the game when he came on against Norway. Far too good for Scotland, how long until he's called up by Southgate?
Well hang on a wee minute, l know he is improving all the time and played a few good games for us at the tail end of last season, but l think it's a tad early to make those claims.

In the future though, who knows?

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
Well hang on a wee minute, l know he is improving all the time and played a few good games for us at the tail end of last season, but l think it's a tad early to make those claims.

In the future though, who knows?
You two are idiots. He can't be called up for England.

He plays for Brighton so is ineligible.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here