Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "It's like Graham Potter football with five added espresso shots!"

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Why would they pay that if Potter resigned and then took the England job subsequently?

Ok, so the FA would illegally tap up a manager - one who is employed by a club that is a member of the FA - ask the manager to bend the rules - if possible - through resigning mid-season and then very discreetly - to avoid any suspicion of wrongdoing - immediately sneak into the England manager role?

As I said: fantasies.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If that were within the rules, why wouldn't EVERYONE do it?

Do you think Potter could have 'resigned' from his job here, then signed at Chelsea, saving his new employer £20m :shrug:

No. England and an inter PL move are totally different.

We're talking ifs anyway and neither me, you or Swansman know what would have happened but England certainly don't need an immediate start after a World Cup. A caretaker can cover if ANY manager is still at a club, manager resigns, England appoint new permanent manager a few weeks or months later.

We're missing the point here, which is that England manager is a bigger job than Brighton manager but not a bigger job than Chelsea manager. That's just the way it is.

However......

Wayne Rooney will be the next England manager, take it from me.

.....you're certainly more ITK then anyone else on this thread. Rooney would be an ok-ish fit so I can certainly see what you're saying. But a young manager, at the start of his career who may go on to land a Premier League job if he does well? Surely not. England's only for hasbeens apparently :shrug:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Well, so you keep saying, but then you said Potter wouldn't go to Chelsea :shrug:

The England job really isn't as unattractive as you think it from over there in Sweden. You said something like it's only for managers at the end of their career or who can't get Premier League jobs.

Well, Southgate was young-ish for a manager when he got it and Hodgson, while not at the start of his career by any means went on to get Premier League jobs (yes, plural).

Fact is Southgate will go at the end of the World Cup, probably because we'll have a poor competition and he'll get found out, but also because England managers have a big tournament shelf life. Fact also is the FA are likely to want an English, or at least British but not Scottish manager.

There is no way that Potter will take that job now, having just joined Chelsea. But assuming he didn't go to Chelsea and everything else stayed equal, the short list for that role really looks like Potter, Parker, Gerrard, Lampard, Howe, Cooper (S), Dyche or Lee Carsley.

From that group Potter would be about mid-range in bookies price and would, at least, talk to the FA.

In reality, nothing stays the same and I'd say the current likeliest candidates to get it are Smeddie if the Saudis pull the trigger, else Dyche, Parker, Carsley or whichever of Lampard and Gerrard has been sacked by then.

There really aren't any other English / Welsh managers who fit the bill and are good enough.

He actually didn’t say he’d go to the England job TBF, just that he’d be gone after the World Cup…….personally I think GP was going to go to the first ‘big club’ (ie CL) that had some kind of ‘project’ and were prepared to triple/quadruple/more his wages. The WC provides just the kind of break to allow daft owners to take stock. Klopp will start looking flakey if he can’t beat teams like Brighton

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Why would they pay that if Potter resigned and then took the England job subsequently?

Buyout works both ways……Potter couldn’t simply walk away and walk into another job. Contract will have clauses preventing taking other management jobs - he’d have to buy his way out of the contract (hence normally the new employer does it).

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
To me, the next England manager is more likely to be foreign, than Rooney, Gerrard etc

Cooper and Rodgers may also be in the frame by then

Agree the FA aren't going to poach an existing club manager and most existing club manager's would rather stay where they are than take on the national job.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Bigger? yes. More desirable, considering our squad, finances and position in the league? Only to the clinically insane.

I think we see that as Brighton fans but there's no doubt that England is always a "project" and that winning the World Cup with England is the sort of thing that gets you stopped in the street, statues commissioned, tea with the King and all that jazz. Even winning the next Euros is probably a knighthood. And Potter could have done all that without moving house, spending more family time and without taking Bruno and Roberts and still be in charge of a team many here support. It's not exactly unattractive.

It is all purely hypothetical though, as he won't go there from Chelsea.

Whatever the ins and outs of the contractual situation and compo he was being touted for it by many media pundits. Barry Glendenning did so on football weekly. More than one TalkSport talking head did. You'd think they'd know a bit about it,

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
You know that black box that says ‘skip ads’ that appears?? :lolol:

Hmm, I'm not seeing that on my main browser, Safari. Just tried it on Chrome - and will use that in future! Cheers.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think we see that as Brighton fans but there's no doubt that England is always a "project" and that winning the World Cup with England is the sort of thing that gets you stopped in the street, statues commissioned, tea with the King and all that jazz. Even winning the next Euros is probably a knighthood. And Potter could have done all that without moving house, spending more family time and without taking Bruno and Roberts and still be in charge of a team many here support. It's not exactly unattractive.

It is all purely hypothetical though, as he won't go there from Chelsea.

[BWhatever the ins and outs of the contractual situation and compo he was being touted for it by many media pundits. Barry Glendenning did so on football weekly. More than one TalkSport talking head did. ]You'd think they'd know a bit about it[/B],

Due to the number of visitors to their blogs?

Opinion based jobs. Anyone who has a way with words and know a few editors can do it.

It is similar to the Rob Sanchez Spain vs England situation... they don't have a clue. Lazy and complacent.

The FA signing a PL manager mid-season isn't (and wasn't) happening.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington

Well yeah, anybody would sign up to winning the world cup, but unfortunately that's not going to happen. You're signing up to work part time for most of the year, have a load of fat knobheads shout abuse at you about how you're not getting
the best out of Grealish, and then get knocked out on penalties if you're lucky.

To be clear, I think most if not all of the Premier League jobs are more appealing than the England job, not just Brighton.

Whatever the ins and outs of the contractual situation and compo he was being touted for it by many media pundits. Barry Glendenning did so on football weekly. More than one TalkSport talking head did. You'd think they'd know a bit about it,

I feel like this bit is really being addressed at somebody else, so I'll disregard it other than to observe that my opinion of people who make a living talking about football is only marginally better than my opinion of people who write about music for a living :lolol:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Due to the number of visitors to their blogs?

Opinion based jobs. Anyone who has a way with words and know a few editors can do it.

It is similar to the Rob Sanchez Spain vs England situation... they don't have a clue. Lazy and complacent.

The FA signing a PL manager mid-season isn't (and wasn't) happening.

Well by your definition [MENTION=10202]Not Andy Naylor[/MENTION] is just a lazy guy who knows a few editors and he's said it's going to be Wayne Rooney who is (*checks*) NOT a current PL manager.

But then I guess you've based that last sentence on what's happened in the past. Shall we have a guess what's different this time?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] may have had those 5 espresso shots in a pint of Guinness and downed in one the way this thread is going.:drink:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I think [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] may have had those 5 espresso shots in a pint of Guinness and downed in one the way this thread is going.:drink:

In what way?

It comes down to

a) The England job is bigger, with better potential rewards than ours
b) There are always ways round contractual agreements, particularly when there are going to be four and a half years between World Cups and
c) Since it won't be Potter the next England manager probably won't be very good.

Which bits do you disagree with?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
In what way?

It comes down to

a) The England job is bigger, with better potential rewards than ours
b) There are always ways round contractual agreements, particularly when there are going to be four and a half years between World Cups and
c) Since it won't be Potter the next England manager probably won't be very good.

Which bits do you disagree with?

I think it is the enthusiasm and zeal you are pursuing a hypothetical argument rather than disagreeing with any particular point on a thread that was about RDZ's differences to GP, that I was referring to you having the 5 expresso shots from the thread title, and the Guinness - well because you are Guinness Boy.:thumbsup:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Well by your definition [MENTION=10202]Not Andy Naylor[/MENTION] is just a lazy guy who knows a few editors and he's said it's going to be Wayne Rooney who is (*checks*) NOT a current PL manager.

But then I guess you've based that last sentence on what's happened in the past. Shall we have a guess what's different this time?

Umm... not following really. But yeah sure Rooney is a decent call.

Personally I think it is more likely with someone currently out of a job or already employed by the FA.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Umm... not following really. But yeah sure Rooney is a decent call.

Personally I think it is more likely with someone currently out of a job or already employed by the FA.

Wow. You really have a low opinion of English international management and it's arrangements, don't you ? ??? :lolol:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Wow. You really have a low opinion of English international management and it's arrangements, don't you ? ??? :lolol:

No, no... not at all - you seem to be very good at this "appoint a decent leader" thing...

More seriously speaking, I think Rooney did a great job for Derby but appointing a manager who was a teammate of several those still playing for the national team is a bit wonky.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here