Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It's in our hands

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Such a tough old league to predict because – yes it's a cliché – any team can beat any other one on their day. Plenty more twists and turns to come, I reckon.

However, I did put the following scenario to the Bobkin Jnrs the other day: Last day of the season and Hull are already champions. Middlesborough v Brighton where the winner gets the second automatic spot, and the loser goes into the play-off lottery. How psychological would a defeat be for EITHER club going into those play-offs, but how AMAZING would it be for us to go there and clinch automatic promotion. A long journey home if we don't though :moo:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Forget all the convoluted permutations, if we win all our remaining matches this season, we will be promoted (unless we're disqualified for some stupid reason, or get a fifty point deduction or something). If we win all our remaining matches, there is no combination of other results that can prevent our promotion.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What you are missing is that apart from us beating the teams above us they will be also playing each other so maximum points for all teams apart from against us is not possible.
No, we're not missing that, I already explained this to you on the first page:
Not true. If Hull beat boro, but they both win all their other games (except against us) we'll all be on the same points.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So if we score an average of 2 goals more than them each match it is in our hands. So it's in our hands
No, because it's not in our hands how many they score. If they score each time we score, we can't do it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If we win all our remaining matches, there is no combination of other results that can prevent our promotion.
Are you new or something? It's already been explained a couple of times that that's wrong. 'boro are 3 points ahead and have a game in hand and Hull are 3 points ahead. If Hull beat 'boro, we beat both, and we all win the remaining games, we'll finish level on points and they have a better GD.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Beat Bolton then Hull away and we're firmly back in the driving seat. April & May are tough months fixture wise, we need to smash February & March to give ourselves some breathing room coming into the end of the season.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Are you new or something? It's already been explained a couple of times that that's wrong. 'boro are 3 points ahead and have a game in hand and Hull are 3 points ahead. If Hull beat 'boro, we beat both, and we all win the remaining games, we'll finish level on points and they have a better GD.

Please note the words "all our remaining games this season". If we finish third we will still go up by winning all our remaining games this season - in that case though, the winning games would include both legs of the play-off semi finals and a glorious and successful day out at Wembley.

So, if we win every match we play from now on in the 2015-2016 season, we are up. Period.

Keep winning, we go up - it's in our hands.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Please note the words "all our remaining games this season". If we finish third we will still go up by winning all our remaining games this season - in that case though, the winning games would include both legs of the play-off semi finals and a glorious and successful day out at Wembley.
You sneaky swine! :bowdown:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
OWWW WHERE'S YOUR IMAGINATION!?

4-0's every match should do it.
In reality, 1-0 would do it, but purely for the point of discussing finishing top 2 (and ignoring that swine), if we win 4-0, Hull and 'boro could be doing the same.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I've seen the next few posts, but even that's immaterial now that Agent Forster-Caskey cast his spell last night.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I've seen the next few posts, but even that's immaterial now that Agent Forster-Caskey cast his spell last night.
Well obviously it only applied before 'boro lost some points. The original conversation, from the OP, was about automatic promotion, and that wasn't in our hands until 'boro lost points yesterday. If you include winning the playoffs, then that's been in our hands since the first day of the season.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Could someone get that for me please, my hands are somewhat full.
Yes it's in our hands, but so what, it's not like winning the next 6 is likely. It'll still be in our hands if we're in the playoffs, and a lot easier than winning 6/6.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
This thread is far too optimistic for me, and not in a reassuring type of way. It seems to me to be more of the Americanized/Disneyland version of optimism where everything is super great all of the time, where you can do anything if you put your mind to it; I prefer to softly reassure myself that we are destined to balls it up somewhere along the lines, thus avoiding the inevitable crushing disappointment.

That said, I will absolutely shit the bed if we do go up. Maybe we will go up?

I think I'm a bit bi-polar.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here