Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] It's come to a point where I don't trust anyone

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Whereabouts in Ontario are you?

My partner absent mindedly left her x-country skis in a snow bank 2 winters ago. She only realised a few days later, but when she went to check someone had left a note to say they had them. We purchased a gift card to say thanks, but they refused to accept even that. I find our spot in the Ottawa Valley pretty good on the trust and honesty front!

A good job they were found, as it'll be all downhill otherwise

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
As has been said already the only things deemed newsworthy these days are the bad things. So that's what we read, see, and hear about.

There are good people out there...

That's life, though. It's been the same for thousands of years. We all trust people, then we get let down. The knack is to bin acquaintances off, for good, when they do let you down.

I give close friends and family one strike though. The second strike, I'm done with them.

I give people more strikes, I try to be more emotionally generous to others nowadays (you don't know what people are going through at the time and we can all react like dickheads to others because of things happening to us). And besides, if not then I'd be a lonely man! I forgive but sometimes I don't forget and then next time, I'm more wary of who to rely on or go to or avoid. People talk the talk but do they walk the walk (for you).

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I got drunk round my mates the other night and he ended up going to bed before me. He is rather upset with me for setting a reminder at 06.30 every day to play the Top Gun theme tune on his Alexa. Previously he'd left his phone unlocked and I changed his birthday on Facebook and laughed at all the Happy Birthdays coming in on the wrong day.

You're not my mate Evans are you?
Your mate Evans broke the first rule of drinking with mates. Never leave them in your house unsupervised.

He only has himself to blame.

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I give people more strikes, I try to be more emotionally generous to others nowadays (you don't know what people are going through at the time and we can all react like dickheads to others because of things happening to us). And besides, if not then I'd be a lonely man! I forgive but sometimes I don't forget and then next time, I'm more wary of who to rely on or go to or avoid. People talk the talk but do they walk the walk (for you).
This, people's behaviour and decisions are a result of where they are at. I generally try to be forgiving and understanding that something we do stupid and shit things. To err is human, to forgive is devine and all that. Most of the time I find that people are pretty decent, they don't deliberately do things to be horrible, especially if you try and see things from their point of view.

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Whereabouts in Ontario are you?

My partner absent mindedly left her x-country skis in a snow bank 2 winters ago. She only realised a few days later, but when she went to check someone had left a note to say they had them. We purchased a gift card to say thanks, but they refused to accept even that. I find our spot in the Ottawa Valley pretty good on the trust and honesty front!

In Burlington but the purse was left in a town called Arthur. She once left her purse in a Taco Bell washroom in downtown Hamilton for about an hour before we realized it was missing. Same result, everything still there, nothing taken.

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
In about 50 years there will be some study or another about the short, medium and long term effects of social media on society and individuals in the main.

I strongly suspect the results will not make pleasurable reading.

Do you really think our AI overlords will be allowing folk to read?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Okay so this thread I got no idea if anyone is interested or cares about what I've got to say but I don't think there's anyone at all that I can trust anymore.

I just had my social media hacked by someone I know but it happened mainly by my stupidity. Now this alone isn't the main point but over the course of my life I've had people constantly lie, betray me and just make me feel worthless, some people who I thought were there for me I found out weren't.

Some people will say that is life and that's true it is but I realise how close d*ckheads are to you.

Now I was wondering if anyone feels the same, do you trust no one or not many people?

I know this may be a pointless thread

I'll give you the benefit of my experience mate , there are a lot of ***** out there and as you get older the numbers seem to grow at an alarming rate......stay strong , good luck , chin up...:thumbsup:

Dumseagull

Jun 13, 2012
Lancing
Okay so this thread I got no idea if anyone is interested or cares about what I've got to say but I don't think there's anyone at all that I can trust anymore.

I just had my social media hacked by someone I know but it happened mainly by my stupidity. Now this alone isn't the main point but over the course of my life I've had people constantly lie, betray me and just make me feel worthless, some people who I thought were there for me I found out weren't.

Some people will say that is life and that's true it is but I realise how close d*ckheads are to you.

Now I was wondering if anyone feels the same, do you trust no one or not many people?

I know this may be a pointless thread

Try getting divorced mate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The key is to have a small, trusted circle of long time friends. It’s good to know and be on good terms with lots of people but that select hardcore group of mates is the key.

I know none of them would **** me over for any reason. And the wider group of people I know wouldn’t get the chance. I, like most, have had some bad experiences but not many and always, ALWAYS, when I have gone against my gut instinct about someone. You learn to trust the instincts after a while.

So yeah, have that close inner circle. Like say, Putin or Hitler :lolol:

I joke. But that’s what I have found to be the way to go.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The key is to have a small, trusted circle of long time friends. It’s good to know and be on good terms with lots of people but that select hardcore group of mates is the key.

I know none of them would **** me over for any reason. And the wider group of people I know wouldn’t get the chance. I, like most, have had some bad experiences but not many and always, ALWAYS, when I have gone against my gut instinct about someone. You learn to trust the instincts after a while.

So yeah, have that close inner circle. Like say, Putin or Hitler :lolol:

I joke. But that’s what I have found to be the way to go.

I can't do Iain Sterling's joke justice but here goes:-

'5 a side was invented by a man in his 30's, as that's the amount of teammates he can muster.
In much the same way squash was invented by a man in his 40's.
Which is why old men play golf'.

Trust nobody Vaughan - they're all ****s.

boik

There are always many more times good people in the world than scumbags. It's just that the scumbags shout loudest and get all the attention. The good people are always there, quietly in the background, waiting for the opportunity to show their goodness.

Vaughan Storm

May 21, 2020
Worthing
If this is a genuine thread, I apologise to the OP, but the username....aka Vaughan Toulouse . . . Daniel Stormzy... Paul Valley?

No replies from the OP yet, which is....suggestive. If you want to post a cry for help on social media at least have sufficient. . . . regard for those who reply to make . . some effort to acknowledge.

:shrug:

The username i just made up because once again I can't really trust anyone, nothing to do with Stormzy or anything like that aha but yeah genuine thread

Vaughan Storm

May 21, 2020
Worthing
Sometimes things hurt and you lose note of the fact that while the Dickhead proportion seems higher nowadays there are still many good, kind people about. Try and treat others like you want to be treated yourself is still a good ethos imo. I sometimes forget this but always try to come back to it.

Yeah this and other comments are I'd say fair but it's well hard when you realise someone who you thought was there for a decade or so just wasn't. I've been told before find three real friends but I realise finding those 3 is hard, how I see it is it takes plenty of years and proof from them to get to that stage.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
69fd424d22a085f35785ff838df66f3c.jpg

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I had some trust issues in my early 20s... could get jealous of girlfriends and things like that.

Main reason for that is that people can not be trusted. Not all that many would consciously **** you over in any which way, but urges and instincts and those sort of things often outcompete good moral. The stoner buddy might steal a bit of your weed when you're on the toilet, the player buddy might hit on your girlfriend, there might be acquaintances more interested in using your social network rather than actually caring about you. Those kind of things happen.

But eventually I found that the cost of not trusting people around me were far higher than the gains.
People can not be trusted, but you need to trust them. Everyone gets ****ed over a few times in their lives but you just have to take that. These days I'm saving my distrust for strangers and society.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
You wake up in a strange hotel room at 3am in the morning and have no idea how you got there, there’s two hookers unconscious in the bed next to you, an empty bottle of Jack Daniels and the remains of a mountain of cocaine next to the bed. There’s a dozen unanswered and increasingly frantic messages from your wife/partner on your phone. There’s a frogman’s outfit on the floor, next to a freestanding bath full of custard.

How many people can you call at that time to get you out of such a predicament? That’s how many friends you have.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
You wake up in a strange hotel room at 3am in the morning and have no idea how you got there, there’s two hookers unconscious in the bed next to you, an empty bottle of Jack Daniels and the remains of a mountain of cocaine next to the bed. There’s a dozen unanswered and increasingly frantic messages from your wife/partner on your phone. There’s a frogman’s outfit on the floor, next to a freestanding bath full of custard.

How many people can you call at that time to get you out of such a predicament? That’s how many friends you have.

Sounds like a normal working day for a bass player. :lolol:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

'sake. I wondered what that missed call from you was about. I just assumed you wanted to borrow the frogman's outfit for another day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here