Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] It's called getting older

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
Welcome to NSC with what appears to be a very mature, well balanced first post. Are you sure you've got the right forum :wink:

*edit* I've just seen the '1' doesn't refer to number of posts :dunce: Does that mean there was already a deslynhamsmoustache account when you registered all those years ago ?

No, it means I f***ed up my login when the mental decline started in my mid forties:)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think the "big four" idea came about when the Champions League started with then 2 or 3 places up for grabs.
I am not convinced there can be a sustainable Big 7, 8, 9 or 10 there's not enough trophies or rewards, i.e European football to go round
We know Newcastle are trying to muscle in, but unless a super League comes about, a few of the "Big" teams won't stay "Big" for ever.
Precisely. The pecking order has always changed. We once had long periods of dominance by Liverpool, then ManUre. Now we have Chelsea, Citeh, Spuds and Newcastle with enough gelt to win the league. The fact that we are in the same division, after 100 years of largely being badly run, unambitious and a bit shite is, itself, a little marvel.

The super league doesn't look like a very likely prospect. It gave me great satisfaction to see that Barearselona and Juvenilentus both failed to qualify for the knockout stage of the 'Champions' league this season. 'Oh dear'. I thought. 'How sad. Never mind'. :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My best mate is a Hammers fan. For years now they've been playing in Europe on a Thursday night. As indeed they are tonight. It's almost business as usual for them now. And what's Hammers fans biggest moan? That they haven't got a big enough squad to cover both domestic and european fronts.

From the outside looking in, has to be said it looks like a nice problem to have. Tho suspect the reality of the situation would hit home earlydoors, as soon as the novelty had worn off
You have a mate? I find that hard to believe. ???

:wink:

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
Since there is a proliferation of threads bemoaning the state of football and how nasty it is, being in the premier league, I thought I'd start a counter thread about this.

It's called getting older, jaded, sadder, creakier, more irritable etc.

Pull you bloody selves together, FFS!
Undoubtably there is an element of this. When we are younger and busy with making a living and raising a family we had no time for worrying too much about the world, football, or much of anything. And certainly not posting about it on a football forum. I guess that is part of the reason that old men can get grumpy....they simply have the time for it. And it is easy to resist change. I suppose that if there were drums in the crowd when I first went to the Goldstone then I would regard them as part of the game and wouldn't hate them so much now. And maybe today's 10 year olds will grow up thinking that VAR is a great thing. ( Although I can't really believe that....)

But just because someone is grumpy about something doesn't necessarily mean that it doesn't deserve being grumpy about........

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Pleased to know it wasn't just me then :wink:

And could you imagine trying to get a skimmed organic Himalayan Yak's milk Latte on the Prom ? More chance of getting stabbed on the prom after dark in the 70s :lolol:

You know me too well Harry (y)
A propos the Westy comment to which you replied.....I was tempted to start a poll inspired by my own experience of the 1970s and our European visitors: Tidy, or Full Bush? ???

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Pleased to know it wasn't just me then :wink:

And could you imagine trying to get a skimmed organic Himalayan Yak's milk Latte on the Prom ? More chance of getting stabbed on the prom after dark in the 70s :lolol:

You know me too well Harry (y)
I think the "big four" idea came about when the Champions League started with then 2 or 3 places up for grabs.
I am not convinced there can be a sustainable Big 7, 8, 9 or 10 there's not enough trophies or rewards, i.e European football to go round
We know Newcastle are trying to muscle in, but unless a super League comes about, a few of the "Big" teams won't stay "Big" for ever.
In effect, 5 EPL clubs will likely enter the CL from 2024/25 onwards.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61388244

Based on the performance of a country's clubs in Europe over the previous season. With petro-states and US billionaires buying up EPL clubs, they should out-muscle German and Italian clubs, and Spain beyond the big 2.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Undoubtably there is an element of this. When we are younger and busy with making a living and raising a family we had no time for worrying too much about the world, football, or much of anything. And certainly not posting about it on a football forum. I guess that is part of the reason that old men can get grumpy....they simply have the time for it. And it is easy to resist change. I suppose that if there were drums in the crowd when I first went to the Goldstone then I would regard them as part of the game and wouldn't hate them so much now. And maybe today's 10 year olds will grow up thinking that VAR is a great thing. ( Although I can't really believe that....)

But just because someone is grumpy about something doesn't necessarily mean that it doesn't deserve being grumpy about........
Yep. My view is that because GOMS is such a thing, and always has been, I suspect it is a survival mechanism: if you have managed to survive (to your 30s, the typical human lifespan till fairly recently - things started to improve for the plebs only around 200 years ago) then it is to your advantage to keep the things that have allowed you to live (the arrangements, customs, food, work, people) the same. As we get older and frailer any sort of change may be a threat. So we need to perceive it as such. "VAR, Foringers, homosexuality, wimmin's rights, non-stick frying pans ....we never had none of that when I was a lad!" (etc etc)

I don't do this because I am a bit peculiar, finding most things to be unpleasant, awkward or a threat, when I was young, and much less so now, when I'm old. I feel a bit sorry for 'normal' people, sometimes :lolol:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
When I used to sell life assurance and customers wavered about signing up, I used to remind them that they'd never be younger or the premiums cheaper than today.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I’m no longer a STH and have only been to one game this season. I’m glad that with regular live games and streams I can still watch The Albion but getting older has impacted on my decision not to renew.
I get constantly annoyed at everything about football now like Sydney says. I subscribe to Sky but they piss me off.I watch Match of the Day but that pisses me off. I hate the travel to games and that pisses me off. I hate VAR. I hate players wages. I hate Reginald Maudlin. It is age related I think somewhat

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
Finally starting to get some grey in my beard and that's cool with me. Not gonna be vain like some friends of mine who dye theirs already or use hair growth items, etc smh. If I start going bald, f*** it. Is what it is.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I’m no longer a STH and have only been to one game this season. I’m glad that with regular live games and streams I can still watch The Albion but getting older has impacted on my decision not to renew.
I get constantly annoyed at everything about football now like Sydney says. I subscribe to Sky but they piss me off.I watch Match of the Day but that pisses me off. I hate the travel to games and that pisses me off. I hate VAR. I hate players wages. I hate Reginald Maudlin. It is age related I think somewhat
And the five pints before the match has had to be reduced to two because your aging bladder can't cope so well - and you'd miss half the game trotting to and fro the toilets. That is, if you even remember that there is a match on.....

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
And the five pints before the match has had to be reduced to two because your aging bladder can't cope so well - and you'd miss half the game trotting to and fro the toilets. That is, if you even remember that there is a match on.....
Living in Japan for 15 years I still haven’t gotten over the novelty of being allowed to buy beer in the cinema. I’ll have at least 2 for a 2 hour movie but in my dotage I regularly find myself needing a piss once per beer as well. Missed an awful lot of vital plot points over the recent years!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here