Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] It's called getting older

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Since there is a proliferation of threads bemoaning the state of football and how nasty it is, being in the premier league, I thought I'd start a counter thread about this.

It's called getting older, jaded, sadder, creakier, more irritable etc.

Pull you bloody selves together, FFS!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Since there is a proliferation of threads bemoaning the state of football and how nasty it is, being in the premier league, I thought I'd start a counter thread about this.

It's called getting older, jaded, sadder, creakier, more irritable etc.

Pull you bloody selves together, FFS!
no it isn't ...it's called having a gut full of the bollox that comes with the game ...VAR , SOUTHGATE, MAGUIRE still wearing an England shirt , useless referees , wanky pundits , stupid graphics , endless, pointless statistics , 200 quid for a day out , train strikes , stupid stewards , stupid people , grass , flags , pigeons, twatts who won't sing , people constantly moaning , managers f***ing off in the middle of "being in it for the long run" not on their own but taking the entire back room staff with them , players getting paid what it takes your average working man 10 years to earn in one week , agents getting paid for f*** all.......it's f***ed.

Mexican Seagull

Jan 16, 2013
Mexico City
Don't disagree but as you get older and less time in front of you than behind you, putting up with whatever we think is crap/bulls..., becomes more difficult! But having said that life for us is great in the Premier so let's enjoy it despite the awful money driven dynamics

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I will continue to love the Albion even if we slip back into Division Four, been there done it once already. I will continue to bemoan and be pissed off that we have been raped and pillaged by a man I used to have enormous respect for, just as we turned f***ing brilliant. Maybe just me :shrug:

Absolutely nothing to do with getting older, I am still mentally a stroppy teenager apparently

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
:ROFLMAO: :LOL: You guys, look at you all, getting older.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I will continue to love the Albion even if we slip back into Division Four,
I think I'd love us even more if we dropped to Old Divison Four. It rhymes so it must be true.

Would feel even more my club than it does right now if there was 9,000 of us rattling around the Amex each week watching us grind out a 1-1 vs Harrogate Town.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
no it isn't ...it's called having a gut full of the bollox that comes with the game ...VAR , SOUTHGATE, MAGUIRE still wearing an England shirt , useless referees , wanky pundits , stupid graphics , endless, pointless statistics , 200 quid for a day out , train strikes , stupid stewards , stupid people , grass , flags , pigeons, twatts who won't sing , people constantly moaning , managers f***ing off in the middle of "being in it for the long run" not on their own but taking the entire back room staff with them , players getting paid what it takes your average working man 10 years to earn in one week , agents getting paid for f*** all.......it's f***ed.
Blimey, I aged 5 years just reading that!!!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I can put up with managers going players coming and going back room staff going what’s really grinding me is the inept refs and the state of VAR. Last Saturday my phone took a flight across the room when the pen was awarded. The first goal was 50/50 but that pen was disgraceful I can’t remember a game restarting and then pulled back for a pen 4 minutes later. Why Mason is anywhere near a PL game is another question that needs answers.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I will continue to love the Albion even if we slip back into Division Four, been there done it once already. I will continue to bemoan and be pissed off that we have been raped and pillaged by a man I used to have enormous respect for, just as we turned f***ing brilliant. Maybe just me :shrug:

Absolutely nothing to do with getting older, I am still mentally a stroppy teenager apparently
Maybe we develop emotional incontinence at the same rate as urinary incontinence.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Quality ranting Syd!(y)

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Don't forget, names on away tickets and not being allowed lids on bottles.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just because you’re wearing Pampers again Harry, doesn’t necessarily mean you’re getting younger. ;)
I'm very lucky that I seem to be immune to developing grumpy old man syndrome. Arguably I was a grumpy young man, which is why I don't perceive that things are getting 'worse'.

But I have always understood that things really are getting better, rather than worse, as poor old @sydney seems to think. I have had arguments with people who are so taken by the idea that things are getting worse that they actually think we are unhealthier than the Victorians, even claiming the Victorians lived longer. Completely deluded.

In 'History of Western Philosophy' written in the 30s by Bertrand Russell, he wrote about grumpy old man syndrome as a phenomenon recognized even in the days of the ancient Greeks, with generation after generation complaining about how everything is turning to bollocks (and mostly blaming this on the 'yoof of today'). :lolol:

This is actually quite important. Effecting change requires an accurate assessment of what is wrong and what needs to be fixed. The future of The Albion won't be made more secure if people imagine that these are the worst of all times, and the club is a mess/disgrace or whatever.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I don't think it is an age thing. There are loads of things that are better than 30-40 years ago, i.e. less racism, less sexism, less smoking, society more health conscious BUT the dominance of the Big 6 clubs - and the larger European clubs - is a bad thing and it's getting worse.

I agree with Attila that MONEY is killing football, and any time a club outside of this produces a world class player, a crop of youngsters or a sustained level of quality recruitment they are plundered by the Big 6.

This applies to clubs in 7th-12th spots just as much: imagine what West Ham could have achieved with Joe Cole, Carrick, Lampard, Rio, Defoe and Glen Johnson, or Southampton with VVD, Lallana, Mane, Hojbjerg, Lovren, Shaw. Maybe Everton could have built a team around Rooney or Villa around Grealish? All 4 clubs potless since the mid-90s.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I don't think it is an age thing. There are loads of things that are better than 30-40 years ago, i.e. less racism, less sexism, less smoking, society more health conscious BUT the dominance of the Big 6 clubs - and the larger European clubs - is a bad thing and it's getting worse.

I agree with Attila that MONEY is killing football, and any time a club outside of this produces a world class player, a crop of youngsters or a sustained level of quality recruitment they are plundered by the Big 6.

This applies to clubs in 7th-12th spots just as much: imagine what West Ham could have achieved with Joe Cole, Carrick, Lampard, Rio, Defoe and Glen Johnson, or Southampton with VVD, Lallana, Mane, Hojbjerg, Lovren, Shaw. Maybe Everton could have built a team around Rooney or Villa around Grealish? All 4 clubs potless since the mid-90s.
My best mate is a Hammers fan. For years now they've been playing in Europe on a Thursday night. As indeed they are tonight. It's almost business as usual for them now. And what's Hammers fans biggest moan? That they haven't got a big enough squad to cover both domestic and european fronts.

From the outside looking in, has to be said it looks like a nice problem to have. Tho suspect the reality of the situation would hit home earlydoors, as soon as the novelty had worn off

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here