Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Italy v England

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I thought England played quite well. First half reminded me a bit of the worst of Poyet era: lots and lots of passing but no space created and no end result. Still, at least they didn't resort to lumping it forward so kudos for that. Second half I think we looked half-decent - and by England standards that's pretty good.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I thought England played quite well. First half reminded me a bit of the worst of Poyet era: lots and lots of passing but no space created and no end result. Still, at least they didn't resort to lumping it forward so kudos for that. Second half I think we looked half-decent - and by England standards that's pretty good.

Very much this. What pleased me most was Hodgson's immediate analysis of proceedings, where he didn't shy away from talking about the tactical mistakes or things that weren't working. He wisely experimented - gave it a half and then changed things to something more conventional when it wasn't working. And I like the fact that he's stumbled across the idea of building a midfielder around Michael Carrick. Carrick just doesn't give the ball away and likes to pass forwards, but simple and along the floor. This was always the problem with Gerrard in particular. Also, Jordan Henderson impressed me. I think he's suited to the international game because he is adept at creating space for himself by controlling the ball as quick as anyone in the team and making intelligent feints and turns out of trouble.

On the downside, our left back Kieran Gibbs didn't look anywhere near good enough as far as I was concerned.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Second half performance we probably deserved the draw although Italy could have had two or three by the time we woke up.... Even though they have world ranking of 7 compared with Englands 17 there was not much to be optimistic about. although jagielka looked good and Kane did nothing wrong and for his first full game did ok..time will tell.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Very much this. What pleased me most was Hodgson's immediate analysis of proceedings, where he didn't shy away from talking about the tactical mistakes or things that weren't working. He wisely experimented - gave it a half and then changed things to something more conventional when it wasn't working. And I like the fact that he's stumbled across the idea of building a midfielder around Michael Carrick. Carrick just doesn't give the ball away and likes to pass forwards, but simple and along the floor. This was always the problem with Gerrard in particular. Also, Jordan Henderson impressed me. I think he's suited to the international game because he is adept at creating space for himself by controlling the ball as quick as anyone in the team and making intelligent feints and turns out of trouble.

On the downside, our left back Kieran Gibbs didn't look anywhere near good enough as far as I was concerned.

I agree about left back, I think it is a problem position as I do not consider Baines or Gibbs good dnough ag defending.

I disagree about Henderson as I thought he was poor and doesnt know how to pass forward. For the next match I would like to see Carrick as CM with either Barklay or Lallana attacking am still looking for a left sided midfielder and the DM but wouldnt put Henderson in there possibly Townsend as LM.

warsaw

She's lost control
Jan 28, 2008
Have to agree with many views on here. Going forward we look better than we have for, well, as long as I can remember. Pace in abundance, players comfortable on the ball and seem to enjoy playing for the manager. Unfortunately this promise is all undone by the donkeys at the back. We need defenders who actually like having the ball at their feet, Italy knew the score and each time Jagielka Jones and smalling were in posession Italy pressed them making them look like the donkeys they are.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Plenty of passion there last night DR

Amazing video! All you could hear was England on the TV - would have loved to have gone...!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Id say 10x the player Ozil is based on this season - what u think [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION] - closer to 20x ?

Streets ahead this season but play fair, Ozil is Turkish.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Streets ahead this season but play fair, Ozil is Turkish.

Born and raised in Gelsenkirchen makes you somewhat German in my mind. Not that it matters.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Born and raised in Gelsenkirchen makes you somewhat German in my mind. Not that it matters.

Of course it doesn't matter - I'm mucking about. Why it would matter to either of us what nationality he was anyway is baffling.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

So we're agreed he's Turkish & Germany won the WC by cheating...? Good ;)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Of course it doesn't matter - I'm mucking about. Why it would matter to either of us what nationality he was anyway is baffling.

:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here