Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] “It was deafening at times”

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I was in the west upper for the first ever game against palace at the AMEX , for a game like that the atmosphere was embarrassing.
Good bait to hook a few more.

I have been in WSU since Day One at The Amex and have loved it to bits for providing a brilliant view of the game surrounded by (mostly) decent Albion fans who get behind the team. The noise levels have been generally excellent with only rare blips of disappointment that were probably shared in other parts of the ground.

But you keep going... it's nice to have a Chelsea fan telling us what is what... (it wasn't you in the North Stand for Fans United was it?)

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Yea because the bridge is a good measure of that :facepalm:

I've travelled home and away for many years and since we moved its one of the better atmospheres and that's an unbiased outlook. This is helped of course by just how poor a lot of other grounds are nowadays.

This season the WU have raised their game and the North finally seems to have sorted itself out, producing what must be one of the best around, certainly in this country. If these two pockets of noise are loud enough, it has and will spread to the rest of the ground and when it does, as the title suggests, it's deafening.

We still suffer from some silent spells, particularly either side of HT, but I'd rather that than some tit smashing on a drum and calling that constant noise.

AS I've said , the atmosphere THIS season has been great , but in seasons past at the Amex , and I'm in my 5th year as a season ticket holder , it hasn't been , simple as that , I'd be interested to know how many times you've been to Stamford bridge because until this season the atmosphere at Stamford bridge was crap, but still better than the Amex, it's not now.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Good bait to hook a few more.

I have been in WSU since Day One at The Amex and have loved it to bits for providing a brilliant view of the game surrounded by (mostly) decent Albion fans who get behind the team. The noise levels have been generally excellent with only rare blips of disappointment that were probably shared in other parts of the ground.

But you keep going... it's nice to have a Chelsea fan telling us what is what... (it wasn't you in the North Stand for Fans United was it?)
I'm not trying to tell anyone what's what , the atmosphere at the AMEX this season has been great , it feels like I'm at the FOOTBALL! I'm genuinely not trying to cause an argument , even in the east lower family where I am it's now lively where previously it was dead , it's simply my view that the Amex was pretty quiet before this season .

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

Only been to stamford bridge once in the last few years and the atmosphere was great:moo:

Attachments

• John Terry.jpg
    John Terry.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 174

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
This is the key, past seasons, there'd be 2 or 3 songs going in the North, and few would back down and join the loudest. This season, almost like an unspoken agreement, the whole stand seems to adopt one song, so much easier for the rest of the ground to join in when they can hear and understand what is being sung. Brilliant atmosphere in there, all 3 league games this season

and on the concourse :)

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I'm not trying to tell anyone what's what , the atmosphere at the AMEX this season has been great , it feels like I'm at the FOOTBALL! I'm genuinely not trying to cause an argument , even in the east lower family where I am it's now lively where previously it was dead , it's simply my view that the Amex was pretty quiet before this season .

7 times, 6 league, 1 cup. All home wins spanning c8-9seasons.

I'm sure you'll tell me they were all exceptions though. Incidentally I remember watching Wimbledon Chelsea at the cesspit c97/98 and thinking their away fans were some of the quietest I'd ever heard.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
7 times, 6 league, 1 cup. All home wins spanning c8-9seasons.

I'm sure you'll tell me they were all exceptions though. Incidentally I remember watching Wimbledon Chelsea at the cesspit c97/98 and thinking their away fans were some of the quietest I'd ever heard.
Mate it was Wimbledon v Chelsea at palace , the 'away' fans were probably the home fans :lolol: you sure it wasn't around 92/93? I was at that game, the floodlights failed

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Mate it was Wimbledon v Chelsea at palace , the 'away' fans were probably the home fans :lolol: you sure it wasn't around 92/93? I was at that game, the floodlights failed

No definitely later than that, was 0-1 from what I recall.

Anyway it's all relative, compared to Arsenal your lot probably think they're some of the loudest around.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm going to stick up for alfredm here. I'm not a STH and I don't go to every game. Those of you that do may not have noticed the improvement, but the atmosphere over the last couple of seasons (at the games I've attended) has been appreciably better than the atmosphere at early games in our Amex history (again, from the games I've attended). I would say it's improved overall by a factor of about 50%. Yes I know there have been exceptions (Burnley), but the 'workaday' atmosphere is the best it's ever been

A united North Stand has helped immeasurably acting as the 'engine' to drive the rest of the support. There were times in the past when the North has been divided and quiet and the rest of the ground a morgue. At the WBA game I was in the East and I cheered constantly. Until the last season or so I have NEVER felt able to do that as I'd have stuck out like a lunatic - and probably been asked to leave for being a nuisance.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
but the atmosphere over the last couple of seasons (at the games I've attended) has been appreciably better than the atmosphere at early games in our Amex history (again, from the games I've attended). I would say it's improved overall by a factor of about 50%. .

Probably more than a coincidence that the stadium is actually (almost) 50% BIGGER than it was in those early games!

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I'm going to stick up for alfredm here. I'm not a STH and I don't go to every game. Those of you that do may not have noticed the improvement, but the atmosphere over the last couple of seasons (at the games I've attended) has been appreciably better than the atmosphere at early games in our Amex history (again, from the games I've attended). I would say it's improved overall by a factor of about 50%. Yes I know there have been exceptions (Burnley), but the 'workaday' atmosphere is the best it's ever been

A united North Stand has helped immeasurably acting as the 'engine' to drive the rest of the support. There were times in the past when the North has been divided and quiet and the rest of the ground a morgue. At the WBA game I was in the East and I cheered constantly. Until the last season or so I have NEVER felt able to do that as I'd have stuck out like a lunatic - and probably been asked to leave for being a nuisance.
This mate ^^^^, I'll be honest and say I can't really remember what the atmosphere was like at the Wigan game last season , I was there ,but I'll take it as read it was superb, but as you say , the "workaday" atmosphere against West Brom , was brilliant , the best I've ever known it , it felt like the 'old days' to a certain extent.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Saw Bruno out and about in Hove yesterday; he said the atmosphere was amazing on the pitch for the Newcastle match and really inspires the team.

I think the atmosphere at the Amex has got a huge boost just from the fact that we know we are going to have to punch above our weight to stay in this league, so every single game, every single point, is just massive. There’s a real “backs to the wall” feeling about this season, we’re literally WILLING that team across the line when we’ve been hanging on for the points in those last two games. It leads to a truly febrile atmosphere in the stadium. The final whistle against WBA and even moreso Newcastle was greeted with a roar that was almost like a goal.

I’m not surprised others are noticing what a cauldron of noise the Amex has become. We haven't yet hit the Sheffield Wednesday levels of noise yet though (frankly, I'm not sure if we ever will, that was just ridiculous).

Precisely. Which is why real, true fans STAY TO THE END to see the team home as they know they can play a part and, more importantly, they know the team appreciate it. They realise that doing this is more important than being first out of the car park or first on the bus.

(Sorry, sorry, sorry, I know we've just done this to death recently, and we will do again in the near future. Just thought it was worth saying again)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here