Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"It all evens itself up over the Season"

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Think he was pushing the Derby player out of the way as said player was trying to stop him taking the free kick quickly by standing in front of the ball. So Derby player could have easily been booked for that too....

And herein lies the problem with this experiment as, being Brighton fans, we are far more likely to dispute the things that went for us and justify them as being correct rather than lucky.

You see players stand over the ball all the time like that. If referees start punishing that then teams will end up with eight men booked a game. What it is pretty clear you can't do is start pushing an opposition player over. Twice. I thought Agustein was lucky to get away with that.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I think Leeds and Wolves were the only teams all of last season to get red cards against us.

I still can't get over that D'Urso decision on Saturday. He was 5 yards away so I have no clue how he missed the most blatant and deliberate handball I've seen since Rod Thomas produced a wonder save against Plymouth at Gillingham.

Extremely unlucky that Spurs were at Southampton last game of the season - both needing a point to deny us promotion in season 1977-78. Not that these things stay with me and rankle.:angry:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
So by the same token then, if a golfer rolls a 40 foot putt down a slope to within a millimetre of the hole and it doesn't quite drop, thats not unlucky - its a lack of skill ?

Yes; the golfer's skill in assessing the green and using a putter are the only factors. It is obviously very skilful to get it so close, but not quite skilful enough. It would only be bad luck if a seismic event knocked the ball off course just as it was about to role into the cup.

Coincidentally enough, the quote 'the more I practice; the luckier I get' was attributed to a famous American golfer (Arnold Palmer??).

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Much is made of bad luck, last minute goals and poor refs. So thought i'd keep a log of the + and - moments of the year to see if things really do even themselves up over the course of the Season.

So far...

- Last minute goal against Leeds that was clearly handball.
- Having the ball in the net 3 times v Newport, having 2 chalked off, one of which was onside.
- Calderon red card, that undoubtedly changed that game.
- Handball in the wall v Derby that should have given us peno to go 2-1 up.

+ Erm struggling to see anything right now...

+Ulloa's goal at Leeds was offside.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Coincidentally enough, the quote 'the more I practice; the luckier I get' was attributed to a famous American golfer (Arnold Palmer??).[/QUOTE]

Simple statement but sums up what all professional sport is about....practice, practice, practice. Generally, the best performers practice more than their teammates. You hear the expression..." First on the training ground....last off "
David Beckham would spend hours on his own working on free-kicks and Bobby Charlton made himself a two footed player by practicing on his own, left foot, right foot at a target on a wall for hundreds of hours.
I heard a story recently that Laura Robson ditched her tennis coach because he wanted her to practice more during the day. Thats the difference in attitude between a decent player and a champion. Its all about honing your art or skill until it becomes second nature. So, that under pressure, you still get the basics right. In cricket, mastery of defence...playing forward and back properly is essential before you can think about attacking play. All the great players have solid defensive play, honed over the years from when they were very young...they have practiced until they are blue in the face.
Footballers train for about one and a half hours and then they troop off to the changing rooms, drive home in their expensive cars and spend the rest of the day tweeting and face-booking. A lot of them are happy with that. They don't feel that they have to put in any extra. They do just enough to get by. Whatever the manager and coaches set out, they do.
Its no different in most walks of life. People work exactly the hours they get paid for and do the minimum to get by. We are all professional as we are being paid to work but some people are different. They want to improve and keep getting better. They know they have to put in extra and they are prepared to make sacrifices to do it.
Not all footballers are the same. As in all walks of life, there are those who will do just enough to get by. They have a natural ability and they rely on that. Others will work and work and work until they have honed their skill.
When Beckham stepped up for that free-kick v Greece, that wasn't a one-off hit and hope set-piece. He knew what he was doing because hundreds and hundreds of hours of practice had gone into that moment. It was routine, it was honed and it was natural. He could cope with the pressure because it was second-nature.
The most successful, in any walk of life, have the most luck because they have put so much work in and leave nothing to chance. Their confidence carries them through. They have the ability and they have prepared properly.
Most of the time you make your own luck in life. Occasionally, there are unforeseen and unpredictable events beyond your control but more often than not the winners have left less to chance than the non-winners.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Much is made of bad luck, last minute goals and poor refs. So thought i'd keep a log of the + and - moments of the year to see if things really do even themselves up over the course of the Season.

So far...

- Last minute goal against Leeds that was clearly handball.
- Having the ball in the net 3 times v Newport, having 2 chalked off, one of which was onside.
- Calderon red card, that undoubtedly changed that game.
- Handball in the wall v Derby that should have given us peno to go 2-1 up.

+ Erm struggling to see anything right now...

Good thread, one point I observed last season that cost us an automatic place was our midweek performances particularly at home. I saw this half way through the season and it continued right up to the end. Take a look and you will see, I thought we came out sluggish, tired and not motivated, of course it was all capped off by THAT last game where we were so off the pace of the game. What was the reason not sure, but it cost us dearly.

JBenno

Jun 29, 2011
Upper Beeding
Good thread, one point I observed last season that cost us an automatic place was our midweek performances particularly at home. I saw this half way through the season and it continued right up to the end. Take a look and you will see, I thought we came out sluggish, tired and not motivated, of course it was all capped off by THAT last game where we were so off the pace of the game. What was the reason not sure, but it cost us dearly.

I have noticed this too - Apart from Cardiff away, i'm struggling to remember one really good performance/postive result that we have had in an evening game over the past year!
Nothing to do with luck, our players must be scared of the dark....!!!

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Coincidentally enough, the quote 'the more I practice; the luckier I get' was attributed to a famous American golfer (Arnold Palmer??).

Simple statement but sums up what all professional sport is about....practice, practice, practice. Generally, the best performers practice more than their teammates. You hear the expression..." First on the training ground....last off "
David Beckham would spend hours on his own working on free-kicks and Bobby Charlton made himself a two footed player by practicing on his own, left foot, right foot at a target on a wall for hundreds of hours.
I heard a story recently that Laura Robson ditched her tennis coach because he wanted her to practice more during the day. Thats the difference in attitude between a decent player and a champion. Its all about honing your art or skill until it becomes second nature. So, that under pressure, you still get the basics right. In cricket, mastery of defence...playing forward and back properly is essential before you can think about attacking play. All the great players have solid defensive play, honed over the years from when they were very young...they have practiced until they are blue in the face.
Footballers train for about one and a half hours and then they troop off to the changing rooms, drive home in their expensive cars and spend the rest of the day tweeting and face-booking. A lot of them are happy with that. They don't feel that they have to put in any extra. They do just enough to get by. Whatever the manager and coaches set out, they do.
Its no different in most walks of life. People work exactly the hours they get paid for and do the minimum to get by. We are all professional as we are being paid to work but some people are different. They want to improve and keep getting better. They know they have to put in extra and they are prepared to make sacrifices to do it.
Not all footballers are the same. As in all walks of life, there are those who will do just enough to get by. They have a natural ability and they rely on that. Others will work and work and work until they have honed their skill.
When Beckham stepped up for that free-kick v Greece, that wasn't a one-off hit and hope set-piece. He knew what he was doing because hundreds and hundreds of hours of practice had gone into that moment. It was routine, it was honed and it was natural. He could cope with the pressure because it was second-nature.
The most successful, in any walk of life, have the most luck because they have put so much work in and leave nothing to chance. Their confidence carries them through. They have the ability and they have prepared properly.
Most of the time you make your own luck in life. Occasionally, there are unforeseen and unpredictable events beyond your control but more often than not the winners have left less to chance than the non-winners.[/QUOTE]

Hey great bit of work, it is this completely encapsulated by what you say that rankles me when a corner or free kick taker cannot even get the ball over the first man, missed opportunities infront of goal in not even hitting the target. The difference between those who play and those who watch is that we as watchers are not professional footballers. I therefore sometimes question the professionalism of some players and of course if we are adding quotes to this thread added to all this is the fact that whilst on that pitch a player should never give up. A school boy once asked Winston Churchill the secret of his success and he responded with seven words 'never give up, never, never give up'. So Ashley take your bloody head out of your hands, stop looking at the sky and don't blame anyone else, because until you practice, practice, practice and never give up you will not be the player you could be!

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Most of the time you make your own luck in life. Occasionally, there are unforeseen and unpredictable events beyond your control but more often than not the winners have left less to chance than the non-winners.

Hey great bit of work, it is this completely encapsulated by what you say that rankles me when a corner or free kick taker cannot even get the ball over the first man, missed opportunities infront of goal in not even hitting the target. The difference between those who play and those who watch is that we as watchers are not professional footballers. I therefore sometimes question the professionalism of some players and of course if we are adding quotes to this thread added to all this is the fact that whilst on that pitch a player should never give up. A school boy once asked Winston Churchill the secret of his success and he responded with seven words 'never give up, never, never give up'. So Ashley take your bloody head out of your hands, stop looking at the sky and don't blame anyone else, because until you practice, practice, practice and never give up you will not be the player you could be![/QUOTE]

Hey great bit of work, it is this completely encapsulated by what you say that rankles me when a corner or free kick taker cannot even get the ball over the first man, missed opportunities infront of goal in not even hitting the target. The difference between those who play and those who watch is that we as watchers are not professional footballers. I therefore sometimes question the professionalism of some players and of course if we are adding quotes to this thread added to all this is the fact that whilst on that pitch a player should never give up. A school boy once asked Winston Churchill the secret of his success and he responded with seven words 'never give up, never, never give up'. So Ashley take your bloody head out of your hands, stop looking at the sky and don't blame anyone else, because until you practice, practice, practice and never give up you will not be the player you could be!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yes; the golfer's skill in assessing the green and using a putter are the only factors. It is obviously very skilful to get it so close, but not quite skilful enough. It would only be bad luck if a seismic event knocked the ball off course just as it was about to role into the cup.

Correct. It's not "bad luck" if your shot isn't good enough. Sounds harsh but, if you have a free shot at goal and it doesn't go in, the shot wasn't good enough. It's that simple. Ulloa's header was superb, but not good enough to go in, sadly. Nothing unlucky about it at all.

JBenno

Jun 29, 2011
Upper Beeding
Correct. It's not "bad luck" if your shot isn't good enough. Sounds harsh but, if you have a free shot at goal and it doesn't go in, the shot wasn't good enough. It's that simple. Ulloa's header was superb, but not good enough to go in, sadly. Nothing unlucky about it at all.

When he headed it, I really wanted it to go in, I really thought it was going in....

Then it didn't, it wasn't my fault and now I feel hard done by and unlucky.

Just another way of looking at it....

SeagullSongs

Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
If we're going to be serious (NSC, serious :lolol:) about this thread, we need to define our limits of lucky. By the above posts, surely it can only be refereeing decisions, or the lack of one?

JBenno

Jun 29, 2011
Upper Beeding
If we're going to be serious (NSC, serious :lolol:) about this thread, we need to define our limits of lucky. By the above posts, surely it can only be refereeing decisions, or the lack of one?

Yep you're right - And now you are the official referee of this thread!
- 2 Points for a obvious Ref c*ck up costing us a Goal or a game (ie Leeds handball,Derby handball, Calde red card)
- 1 Point for a lesser c*ck up or dubious/unproved one (ie JFC disallowed goal v Newport)
+1 Point for a lesser c*ck up or dubious/unproved one (ie Ulloa possible offiside)
+ 2 points for a obvious Ref c*ck up in our favour (no example to give yet!)

So by my reckoning our Current Season total is: -6 Luck points.

Last edited:

SeagullSongs

Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Yep you're right - And now you are the official referee of this thread!
- 2 Points for a obvious Ref c*ck up costing us a Goal or a game (ie Leeds handball,Derby handball, Calde red card)
- 1 Point for a lesser c*ck up or dubious/unproved one (ie JFC disallowed goal v Newport)
+1 Point for a lesser c*ck up or dubious/unproved one (ie Ulloa possible offiside)
+ 2 points for a obvious Ref c*ck up in our favour (no example to give yet!)

So by my reckoning our Current Season total is: -6 Luck points.

Superb.

The last time a refereeing cock-up went in our favour was probably at home to Leicester the season before last when he sent of Jermaine Beckford for precisely nothing :lolol:

JBenno

Jun 29, 2011
Upper Beeding
Thinking back to last saturday - We had a Good example of 'things even themselves up' during the actual game rather than waiting all season didn't we!

So with minus luck points in the first half and plus luck points in the second half.

Still -6 luck points for the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here