Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"It all evens itself up over the Season"

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
- Ulloa's TOWERING header coming back off the inside of the post.

That isn't bad luck; Ulloa missed the target. I think you can only really count bad referring decisions, injuries and freakish occurences.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I suspect events more-or-less even temselves out, but the timing of them is the difference. You can get someone sent off for a dodgy decision in the first few mins, but the same thing occurring in a differen game in the 85th minute in your favour, do not equal each other.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I suspect events more-or-less even temselves out, but the timing of them is the difference. You can get someone sent off for a dodgy decision in the first few mins, but the same thing occurring in a differen game in the 85th minute in your favour, do not equal each other.

I think even that sort of thing evens out though. For example last season, we suffered from early sendings off away at Palace and Wednesday, but benefited from them at home against Barnsley and also away at Leeds.

JBenno

Jun 29, 2011
Upper Beeding
I think even that sort of thing evens out though. For example last season, we suffered from early sendings off away at Palace and Wednesday, but benefited from them at home against Barnsley and also away at Leeds.

But making note of these occurences is kinda the point in the thread..... saves you having to think.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
If El Abd plays how many penalties will the referees not give in favour of the opposition etc... ?

A penalty is a chance to go 2 :1 up, a good chance but no more than that. Spanish Dave's form so far would suggest a penalty would be no formality for him.

OK Calderon went off but was not Bruno fortunate to stay on the pitch at Leeds following a two footed lunge ?

We have been a bit unlucky but perhaps teams make their own luck and so far our play has been far from impressive. Perhaps our forwards should have the presence to control the ball with their 'body' and attack the goal, shooting on target. On the highlights, the Leeds player that day showed great determination and commitment. Have our players generally been showing that ? Not on what I have been reading on here.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That isn't bad luck; Ulloa missed the target. I think you can only really count bad referring decisions, injuries and freakish occurences.

Well I still think that counted as being a bit unfortunate. If someone hits the post from a penalty, or by missing a chance that even Orlandi could haver finished, then I'd agree thats more towards the "missed target" than the "unlucky" bracket.

But Ulloa did brilliantly to get above the defender and guide that header with such power, and from a good 10-12 yards out too. He was denied what would have been a tremendous goal by a lick of paint. THAT was unlucky.

RyFish

Dec 6, 2011
Yes, this will only work if we allow opposition fans to fill in their "bad luck" because we sure as hell won't be any less than one-eyed about it. Derby players complained very loudly that Ulloa simulated for the free kick that led to the hand-ball shout.

Whether or not it was a foul is a matter of opinion. Whether or not the defender handled the ball is a matter of fact.

JBenno

Jun 29, 2011
Upper Beeding
Well I still think that counted as being a bit unfortunate. If someone hits the post from a penalty, or by missing a chance that even Orlandi could haver finished, then I'd agree thats more towards the "missed target" than the "unlucky" bracket.

But Ulloa did brilliantly to get above the defender and guide that header with such power, and from a good 10-12 yards out too. He was denied what would have been a tremendous goal by a lick of paint. THAT was unlucky.

Yep, agree with this.
The start of this season has just had that feeling of ''is anything going to drop for us''

Might be fact, may just be my Albion tinted opinion - But its a feeling I have none the less.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
We will always naturally tend to overlook/forget a lot of the things that go in our favour so it's never going to be completely accurate.

Lots of Leeds fans commented on Ulloa's goal being offside, is that right? Haven't seen a clip of it that shows it either way as the camera seems to be a bit slow to keep up with our lightning break.

The penalty that wasn't against Derby was in the first half at 1-0, so we could have gone 2-0 up rather than 2-1, which would have made a big difference to the second half.

Do believe we'll get plenty in our favour over the season so threads like this will just make us look like whiny crybabies while we're losing!
Spanish Len wasn't offside when Bruno passed the ball , the Leeds number 4 was playing him onside. Barnes was slightly offside if anything but not interfering with play.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I stand by my previous comment; that as well as stuttering of our own accord, we’ve been very unlucky, and at some point in the very near future we will click into gear and our luck will change. At that point I REALLY wouldn’t want to be the team opposing us.

Albion to finish top 2.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

I won't deny that it was a brilliantly close effort, but ultimately, he missed the target; it wasn't due to a refereeing blunder or something freakish like the ball hitting a divot and deviating off target.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I won't deny that it was a brilliantly close effort, but ultimately, he missed the target; it wasn't due to a refereeing blunder or something freakish like the ball hitting a divot and deviating off target.

But if your lucks in, it hits the inside of the post and goes in. Or it hits the inside of the post, rebounds out and goes in off the keepers arse.

If your lucks out, then it comes out and goes to safety. Our luck was out.

So thats a MINUS on the luck-ometer for me.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton

If the ball had hit the post a centimetre to the right, it probably would've gone in. I would count it as unlucky, but not quite in the spirit of the thread.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Derby equalised in the 27th minute. The free kick that was blocked by hands in the area was in the 39th minute. It was 1-1 when we should have had a penalty.

A positive for this season:
Ulloa didn't get sent off for hitting a derby player in the face. I missed it, but a friend said the derby playr slapped him in the face while he was on the ground, but I saw Ulloa reached up and hit the derby player in the face, fortunately the lino was the other side, and the ref was busy with the free kick he just awarded, so neither really saw it and he (and martin?) only got yellows.

My memory is getting worse :(

True about Ulloa who could have been sent off too.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Does luck even itself out over the course of a season? I'm not convinced it does. Teams riding high always seem to get the run of the ball over struggling teams. Why? Is it because their confidence is higher and they are more in control of their destiny. Are they more adventurous because they are more confident? Does the fragile confidence of the struggling team and more desperate approach eventually manifest itself in more reckless challenges, less confidence in front of goal and ultimately more mistakes.
These mistakes are construed as bad luck whereas they are really below-par play.
So far this season we have heard how many chances BHA have missed. We have heard how Newport had four chances and converted three. Derby had three chances and converted two. Why, because their confidence was higher than ours and they were more relaxed and more confident.
Our luck will run parallel with how we play. If we continue to struggle, the list of 'bad luck' will grow and grow. It may have grown to such an extent by October that we will have no way of evening it up. Personally, I don't think we will be in a position to dominant our opponents and make things happen in our favour for a little while, so brace yourselves for a fairly long ' bad luck ' column.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
If the ball had hit the post a centimetre to the right, it probably would've gone in. I would count it as unlucky, but not quite in the spirit of the thread.

I've no doubt it would have gone in, so he should have headed it 1cm to the right. Skill not luck.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've no doubt it would have gone in, so he should have headed it 1cm to the right. Skill not luck.

So by the same token then, if a golfer rolls a 40 foot putt down a slope to within a millimetre of the hole and it doesn't quite drop, thats not unlucky - its a lack of skill ?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Much is made of bad luck, last minute goals and poor refs. So thought i'd keep a log of the + and - moments of the year to see if things really do even themselves up over the course of the Season.

So far...

- Last minute goal against Leeds that was clearly handball.
- Having the ball in the net 3 times v Newport, having 2 chalked off, one of which was onside.
- Calderon red card, that undoubtedly changed that game.
- Handball in the wall v Derby that should have given us peno to go 2-1 up.

+ Erm struggling to see anything right now...

Trouble is it's not really quantifiable - OK, we should have had that pen against Derby. But we might have missed it. And even if we had gone 2-1 up, would we have definitely won the game? Questionable!

I did a similar thing last year. Pretty subjective, but it was based on what the result of the game 'should have been' if the right team had won. This was the number of points gained and lost:

Hull (a) lost - result should have been: draw (-1 dropped)
Watford (a) won - should have been: draw (+2 gained)
Birmingham (h) lost - won (-3)
Middlesbrough (h) lost - won (-3)
Blackpool (a) draw - lost (+1)
Leeds (h) draw - won (-2)
Wolves (a) draw - won (-2)
Bolton (h) draw - won (-2)
Forest (h) draw - won (-2)
Birmingham (a) draw - won (-2)
Blackburn (a) draw - lost (+1)
Hull (h) won – draw (+2)
Blackburn (h) draw – won (-2)
Cardiff (a) won – lost (+3)
Bristol C (a) draw – lost (+1)
Bolton (a) lost – won (-3)
Barnsley (a) lost – draw (-1)
Charlton (h) draw – won (-2)

TOTAL: +10-25 = -15

That would have put us on 90 points and sent us up as Champions, 3 points clear of Cardiff.

What a missed opportunity. How long will it be before we have another chance like that? Really hope I'll be proved wrong, but I can't see it happening this season.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Who was it said, I would rather be a lucky manager than a good one? Or words similar to that effect?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here