Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Isle of Man TT Race 2022

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
It took Ratzenberger and Senna to die before F1 focused a bit more on safety (and some say F1 is very boring nowadays because of it. They miss the death in a fireball etc). Bikers are just a bit more.. nutty and these deaths aren't of famous people like those two, nor is there as much money in the industry. So, can't see anything changing. Personally, it's their lives, up to them etc but yeah very selfish to put aside the potential heartbreak for young children in particular but other people would say shouldn't judge.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Is someone getting themselves killed in this race to be considered tragic?

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
I looked on Google but couldn’t find a clear answer.

Basically what are the odds on getting killed? What I mean is is approximately speaking how many competitors take part in total
100? 1000? 50,000?

Regardless of how many historically, the death toll does appear incredibly high.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Is someone getting themselves killed in this race to be considered tragic?

Someone has to explain to two young kids why their dad and grandad aren’t coming home. Regardless of the circumstances, I find that utterly heartbreaking

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Someone has to explain to two young kids why their dad and grandad aren’t coming home. Regardless of the circumstances, I find that utterly heartbreaking

I agree it will be a very hard thing to try and justify it to the children.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
BBC reporting 5 killed this year so far, including a father and son sidecar team. Time to close the damn thing down shirley?

No, they wanted to do it, same as my Dad.

No-one forces you to do the TT.

Would I race there? Absolutely not as I haven't got the skill or the balls.

Do I want to ban things because I can't do them? Absolutely not.

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
No, they wanted to do it, same as my my Dad.

No-one forces you to do the TT.

Would I race there? Absolutely not as I haven't got the skill or the balls.

Do I want to ban things because I can't do them? Absolutely not.

I don't 'like' it any more than anyone else but agree, having raced old biscuit tins at 100-125 mph and now got to an age where I feel a little less sharp than I once did, and possibly more vulnerable, I wouldn't want others to not be able to do it just because I think its a bit risky.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I find this race a difficult thing to reconcile. Whilst I support individual freedom there’s the caveat that people sometimes need to be protected from themselves. I don’t feel this race falls into the latter though.

As for the children, they never get a choice about their parents and all things considered TT riders seem to be a far better bunch than many other families kids can get born into.

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011
If you can spare 18 minutes, I recommend this to give you a flavour…

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
The father and son team died on the same part of the track where a previous sidecar rider was decapitated. The newspaper reporting was extraordinary, it mentioned the victim, "suffering injuries which were not compatible with sustaining human life". Correct, his head was off. There's no surviving that and they had to resurface the road. I am stunned the event continues.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
The father and son team died on the same part of the track where a previous sidecar rider was decapitated. The newspaper reporting was extraordinary, it mentioned the victim, "suffering injuries which were not compatible with sustaining human life". Correct, his head was off. There's no surviving that and they had to resurface the road. I am stunned the event continues.

I've attended many incidents in the past where the casualty / casualties had suffered decapitation. Generally, when reading the subsequent news report of the incident in the press or on a website, the article would reference the cause of death as "serious head injuries" :moo: ...which I guess is the journalistic euphemism for body parts ending up in two different postcodes.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I've attended many incidents in the past where the casualty / casualties had suffered decapitation. Generally, when reading the subsequent news report of the incident in the press or on a website, the article would reference the cause of death as "serious head injuries" :moo: ...which I guess is the journalistic euphemism for body parts ending up in two different postcodes.

Whereas the reality is that his capa was detated. A most unpleasant way to go, especially as it apparently happened in mid-air. Not to be morbid, but I can't get that image out of my head. Why did his head come off? Was the seatbelt that good that when the upwards force was so strong, his head simply divorced his neck and flew away? This keeps me up at night.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
Many years ago when I was in the scouts, my leader was very passionate about first aid. We were drilled in it, did competitions and we all had the badge etc.

reason was he once came across a bad accident, went to retrieve the bike helmet out of the road and the head was still in it. Nothing he could have done about that one but made it his mission in life to help as many others as possible.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Whereas the reality is that his capa was detated. A most unpleasant way to go, especially as it apparently happened in mid-air. Not to be morbid, but I can't get that image out of my head. Why did his head come off? Was the seatbelt that good that when the upwards force was so strong, his head simply divorced his neck and flew away? This keeps me up at night.

I guess if heads are falling off it maybe explains why they were getting the dead riders names muddled up.

“oh dear, John is lifeless. Poor old John”
“Actually, it’s Steve…I’ve just found his head”

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

I agree. An absolutely absurd situation that a road race continues and is open to amateurs riding at 2.5 times over the motorway speed limit around sharp bends on a small island. People die and will continue to do so. Mental. It should be stopped.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
In a macabre way people flock to the TT racing to see people pushing themselves on machines at deathly speeds, in the hope they see a crash. If that prospect was taken out of the equation to see a life changing or fatal crash, I would imagine the crowds would not travel from all around the world in the thousands to see the TT races.

Not sure what that tells you about the people that participate and watch, not my cup of tea to be fair, but then neither is any form of motor racing car or bike, seems as boring as golf to me.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I guess if heads are falling off it maybe explains why they were getting the dead riders names muddled up.

“oh dear, John is lifeless. Poor old John”
“Actually, it’s Steve…I’ve just found his head”

That is effectively what happened! They announced the wrong chap was deceased. Presumably they didn't send a picture of the severed head and ask his wife to make an ID. Or see if his phone recognised his face and opened.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Seems to not be an unusual occurrence with motor cyclists ..two have happened in the county within the last few weeks

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here