Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Isle of Man TT Race 2022

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

D

Deleted member 2719

This is a tough gig, I am torn on it, in as much, as it is probably the most exciting race on this planet.
Yet it is so unforgiving when it comes to crashes.
RIP

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
I'd hazard a guess that if you ask anyone who races at the TT/Manx GP they know the risk and would say that the high risk adds to the reward. 5 in a year is high, but not all that uncommon unfortunately, having just read the Wikipedia entry on it the only year since 1937 when racing has occurred without a fatality occurring is 1982.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Remember reading an article a few years back on the TT , it is suicidaly dangerous... sharp bends, narrow roads, manhole covers in bad positions, small bridges with restricted views....it is not a surprise there are regular fatalities

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Road racing was my sport - I lost a few good friends and fellow competitors over the years - never nice, but never stopped me racing ...

But I never had any desire to race on the Island - it's 37 and a bit miles per lap - try and think of a stretch of road that long and then imagine pushing to 95-99% - learning every braking point, corner apex, bump, drain cover, along the route.
When I went to a new circuit I reckoned on 50 laps before I was able to go quick - the IOM roads are only closed for official practice and racing, so no chance to get some extra laps in for familiarisation.
It's the greatest challenge, because it so unforgiving - but not a single competitor would have it any other way.

5 deaths in a fortnight is always 5 too many - the bikes keep getting better and faster - this year's record 134 MPH AVERAGE speed for a flying lap is just insane ...

I've crashed at over 100mph a few times on a track and walked [crawled] away - I didn't hit anything hard and nothing hard hit me - but in the Island there are stone walls, houses, telegraph poles, lamp posts and the like and if you hit something like this, the human body will always be lucky to survive.

If you are morbidly interested enough do a Google search for "Bob Price Accident"

Last edited:

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Very sad, but they all know the risks. The TT is bonkers, I’ve been and seen it live. I ride my bike on track for a speed thrill but the pace of these guys and the dangers involved are a ludicrous cocktail that I simply cannot comprehend.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
A father and son were killed today …making five fatalities so far in this years event….not really into the sport…is this par for the course?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/61760266
I think five is a bit higher than usual, but there are usually death(s) most years. I can't find any confirmation, but I remember hearing years ago that the Manx Grand Prix (the MGP, originally for amateur riders) which takes place later in the year, has even more casulaties. The beginners' race they run in that must be truly terriftying - lord knows what the casulaty rate must be.
They also have one (or had one) in Northern Ireland, which is/was also an accident not bothering to wait to happen.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I think five is a bit higher than usual, but there are usually death(s) most years. I can't find any confirmation, but I remember hearing years ago that the Manx Grand Prix (the MGP, originally for amateur riders) which takes place later in the year, has even more casulaties. The beginners' race they run in that must be truly terriftying - lord knows what the casulaty rate must be.
They also have one (or had one) in Northern Ireland, which is/was also an accident not bothering to wait to happen.

The NI race is the North West 200 - raced over public roads between Portstewart, Coleraine and Portrush - again very unforgiving.

The Manx GP is held in September over the full TT course and is for non International Licence holders - it's the learning ground for future TT stars ...

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
The IOM TT it’s a Mecca for all things motorcycle this is notorious circuit and having ridden it tests the best riders which I was not, sadly these five tragic deaths is more than is usual but having said that most years has seen at least one death.

The riders are a very special breed as is the course which twists and turns around narrow roads in then places it opens with mountain roads then it plunges into tree covered roads with stone walls jutting out mixed with long straights the go through villages where corners of buildings edge the road if that was not enough hitting a hump back bridge at 150Mph tests riders and bikes to the limit,

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
My dad was a TT Winner (1950 Senior Clubmans), who raced throughout the 1950's on the Island, usually on Manx Nortons. I have a pair of his TT Silver Reps in my Sitting Room.

He always told me he treated the Island as a very fast tour rather than a flat out race as per short circuits (and over his career he won lots of races on short circuits - e.g. the Cock of the North at Oliver's Mount twice and held the lap record there and at Oulton Park).

He said the people who killed themselves on the IOM treated it like a short circuit and didn't respect it.

Ironically his only accident on the Island was on a road bike learning the circuit before the Races when someone pulled out on him on a junction on Sulby Straight (a flat out mile and a bit - would have been doing almost 100 MPH but a 200 MPH stretch these days). Took the blokes leg off and broke his arm so that was that for his TT that year!

No one that races there does it with any illusions that it is safe...

Last edited:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Up until a a few years ago I was all for live and let live, or race or die etc.. Personal choice, freedom and all that, and in most ways I still believe in this mantra.

I’ve worked in the bike industry for nearly thirty years, ridden too fast and too hard in the wrong place, but been fortunate enough to have never had a ‘bad one’. I’ve seen first hand the passion of these guys who race at the island, and that of their support teams and the spectators too. The racers are adrenaline junkies, they may publicly give out a media friendly line that they know and understand the risks, but even if they actually do, they don’t care. Most of them believe it won’t happen to them, it will be someone else. Some actually believe that they are too good for it to happen to them. Please bear in mind that I am specifically talking about road racers, not the guys doing short circuit racing in WSB or Moto GP.

Then a few years back someone I knew quite well was killed at the TT. He had been racing there for about 4 or 5 years and so knew the circuit, he also competed in multiple classes every year, he actually lived on the Isle of Man. As they say, he knew the risks. As did his partner, she knew the risks, maybe didn’t like them but accepted that they came with the man. But there were two people who didn’t know the risks, his two children, both toddlers, now growing up without a father.

I don’t want the TT stopped, just made as safe as it possibly can be. If that means shortening the course, or building run offs, or limiting engine size or speeds, or only allowing riders to compete in one class, then so be it. It might save more children from growing up living with the consequences of the risk.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Hard to justify taking risks like that, presumably just for the buzz, and when you don't need to, if you have small children depending on you for all the things a parent should give. I take your point.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Hard to justify taking risks like that, presumably just for the buzz, and when you don't need to, if you have small children depending on you for all the things a parent should give. I take your point.

I have to point out my Dad did give up Road Racing in 1957, when my Older Brother was born.

Selling his last pair of Manx Nortons provided the Capital to become a Motorcycle Franchise (BSA/Norton/Velocette/Lambretta and NSU) Dealer!

He still did a bit of Trials Riding until the mid 1960's but it doesn't hurt as much when you fall off at 5MPH...

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean

Outrage on other forums ,not on this thread, for the racing to be banned...

8 people on average a year die in Snowdonia but no one calls to ban walking...

The dog-tags sewn into the riders race suits should make the penny drop and if they want to race good luck to them

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

Outrage on other forums ,not on this thread, for the racing to be banned...

8 people on average a year die in Snowdonia but no one calls to ban walking...

The dog-tags sewn into the riders race suits should make the penny drop and if they want to race good luck to them

Usually as many spectators (i.e. bikers) killed during TT Fortnight as many Road Bikes these days will do over 180MPH and the people riding them do not have Racers skill or reactions.

I did a single lap on Mad Sunday (for those that don't know the whole 'Mountain' Section of the Course becomes One Way and there is no speed limit with hilarious consequences). :facepalm:

Saw riding that you would not believe. As in I was doing around 90MPH up the 'Mountain Mile', saw someone coming up fast so pulled over, he overtook me doing probably 110 or so, was then undertook by someone going even faster - they were clearly racing but my 'undertaker' went into the verge briefly, kicked up dust & stones but didn't slow down. I hit the brakes as I thought these pair will be meeting a dry stone wall shortly and I don't want to get involved.

Amazingly enough they both must have made it down into Douglas. I took it easy (well except the run down to the Creg), pulled into my Hotel Car Park, switched off bike and got a few Okells down me.

I'm sure I will go back to watch a TT, but will not do another Mad Sunday!

Here is a bit of Creg action...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbszzUkSuY8

And here is my Dad doing the Creg on a Matchless G45

https://www.ttracepics.com/matchless/phil-carter-matchless-1953-senior-tt-24412329.html#modalClose

And Ballaugh Bridge on a Manx Norton

https://www.ttracepics.com/norton/phil-carter-norton-1954-junior-tt-24412333.html

Last edited:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
The racers are adrenaline junkies,

That's the long and short of it.

You would have that Michael Dunlop having lost so much family to accidents would hang his leathers up, but no he's still in the red zone.

Michael Rutter dosen't need to turn out at his age, and whilst he'll never bother the podium, his pace is still high.

Then there are the WSB/BSB riders that can't resist.

I could go on.

Maybe a family pairing should be banned from the sidecars? Likely to be a mum grieving for husband and son and possibly a girl grieving a dad and brother etc. That's the worst case scenario.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here