Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Islamic State British Fighters: Should they have their passports revoked?

Islamic State British fighters.... Should they have there passports revoked ?

• Total voters

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Wouldn't revoking their passport keep them here? Sort of the opposite of what you want to do with them really.

if they insist on leaving the country to fight after passport revoked,give them another passport/travel doc valid for two weeks,plenty of time to get to the battlefield and do some shopping on the way.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Funnily enough, in the last couple of days, this question has cropped up here on the discovery of Slovak mercenaries fighting for the pro Russian forces in the Ukraine. So, now there is a debate as to whether theres Czechs there as well, and should they be prosecuted on their return

The key difference is the IS fighters aren't mercenaries; their fighting for a cause they believe in. So, there's the potential risk of them wanting to bring their fight to the UK.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
On the notes inside the passport it states "this passport remains the property of Her Majesty's Government of the United Kingdom and may be withdrawn at any time.

So yes withdraw it, along with citizenship if it applies. I would assume, as others have said, it would be difficult to differentiate between holiday makers and terrorists. However should it come to light that they have been involved, withdraw the passport immediately, they will then not be able to pass through the passport control of the country they are leaving. What that country chooses to do with them is up to them, after all they are neither citizens or passport holders of the United Kingdom.

Are they a risk to the United Kingdom? They are fanatical enough about their religion to travel thousands of miles to fight on its behalf, therefore I would suggest that they are indeed a risk.

People have said what about mercenaries? Terrorism is illegal, if you want to take part in terrorist acts, whether that be for your religious beliefs or for personal gain, then you run the same risks. If it is to take part in a war, that the British government has seen fit not to get involved in at military level, them the same should apply.

I read its a bit North Korea'ish to do the same with their family's, but these young men quite clearly feel strong enough to go and fight in other countries, maybe if they were putting their families safety at risk, they would not be so keen to do so.

Finally, the world is a bloody mess isn't it? Who really gains?

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
They should be flown back to were they came from and dropped off, preferably without a parachute.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
No. They are terrorists - I believe in justice - they need to stand trial in British courts and spend their lives in prison.

At the expense of the British taxpayer. Life in a British prison is little more than a b&b with televisions and PlayStation's, where all your needs are taken care of. I would rather hand them over to the country they have commited there acts of terrorism against and let them do with them as they see fit. There are still many countries that would choose to execute them.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
I cannot see any end to the West's problems with Islam.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
At the expense of the British taxpayer. Life in a British prison is little more than a b&b with televisions and PlayStation's, where all your needs are taken care of. I would rather hand them over to the country they have commited there acts of terrorism against and let them do with them as they see fit. There are still many countries that would choose to execute them.

haha, I take it you've never been then?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Should the same apply to mercenaries who fight for 'security companies', or is this a case of 'only if youre a muslim', fighting as a foreign mercinary for IS

It should apply to all those who fight for organisations whose actions or aims , perceived or otherwise present a threat to british security, umm lets think , who might that be ,
a.) British citizens working as security contractors in dangerous parts of the world.
b.) British citizens with dual nationality doing mandatory national service in a foreign army
c.) British citizens servi g in forces like the French Foreign Legion
d.) British citizens fighting in muslim jihadist organisations dedicated to establishing a worldwide islamic caliphate
e.) British citizens who go abroad to join islamic terrorist organisations all of whom seem to have a strongly anti western agenda

I think D and E seem to fit the bill , dont you ? Or are you determined to try and twist this into another of your interminable and largely innacurate whinges about muslim persecution.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
How about the British Muslim community does a lot, lot more to police the problems that it brings to this Country!

So we revoke passports then they become stateless, which means:

- They can't enter most countries and, as passports are only really scrutinised (and whether its valid or not) at the destination upon entry that means that they can't enter or leave the country they have arrived at.
- They can't be deported if they don't have a passport and the country they've come from are not obligated to take them. If these are taken into account, then where does one deport a stateless person to. Nowhere wants a terrorist, and if he/she is a British national then they are the responsibility of Britain. Potentially until order is restored in Iraq/Syria.

Also, the foreign office have a responsibility not to hand over criminal suspects that might be subject to torture or unfair trials.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Difficult to determine which ones have returned on a mission to kill their neighbours and which ones have just been on a perfectly innocent holiday, though.

Couldn't we just ask to see their holiday photos?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
It should apply to all those who fight for organisations whose actions or aims , perceived or otherwise present a threat to british security, umm lets think , who might that be ,
a.) British citizens working as security contractors in dangerous parts of the world.
b.) British citizens with dual nationality doing mandatory national service in a foreign army
c.) British citizens servi g in forces like the French Foreign Legion
d.) British citizens fighting in muslim jihadist organisations dedicated to establishing a worldwide islamic caliphate
e.) British citizens who go abroad to join islamic terrorist organisations all of whom seem to have a strongly anti western agenda

I think D and E seem to fit the bill , dont you ? Or are you determined to try and twist this into another of your interminable and largely innacurate whinges about muslim persecution.

Not at all. If you have read what ive said, I believe they should lose everything. I also said, you never know what the future may bring, ie people fighting abroad, could directly harm British interests.. Thanks also for your largely inaccurate whinge.

Ive also seen more than one video of ISIS members throwning away their pasports.
Jihadists returning from the region are detained. Some of been jailed.
Oh, and the group you described less than a month ago, as a 'piddling little group' as I recall, has been described as the greatest threat to the USA. Not bad for a piddling little group.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I say shoot them before they return...They have committed treason in my eyes,so hanging isn't out of the question on british soil...well i believe the law still stands on this?

No time with the softly softly shite...they leave,they don't come back!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here