ISIS have apparently burned the Jordanian pilot alive

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I have done. See my previous post.

It's certainly an interesting debate given how we are presented with one threat pretty much daily, whereas as others, take the RIRA actions in 2014 alone; reportedly 8 separate carried out or foiled terrorist attacks that are barely reported.

In some ways I think the opposite to what you've put, that EU governments are eager to play up the terrorist threat in order to pass through legislation like having back door access to all encryption software.

Did you see David Starkey's documentary on the Magna Carta? Well worth a watch if you can find it somewhere….http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05139m4

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
In some ways I think the opposite to what you've put, that EU governments are eager to play up the terrorist threat in order to pass through legislation like having back door access to all encryption software.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree because I think a UK Government who refuses to classify the Lee Rigby murder as terrorism and a French Government who likewise refuse to report the murder of that soldier as terrorism shows extreme unwillingness.

So somewhere are a load of figures for foiled attempts and actual attacks that you and I might ordinarily classify as religious-inspired terrorism that aren't in this report. I think the only clues we have as to their number is as a proportion of the arrests - and it's noticeable that religious-inspired terrorism arrests are on the rise and the most prevalent in 2013 and separatist arrests are reducing and now significantly less than religious-inspired terrorism. And given the number of young men going out to fight for ISIS in 2014 this surely show even worse figures for 2014 and 2015.

Quite simply that report does not give the impression that Islamic terrorism accounts for 2% of all attacks in Europe.

clungemeister

Jan 11, 2015
It's spilling all over the world, like [MENTION=30737]clungemeister[/MENTION] mentioned above... but it's not a coincidence that global Jihadist terrorism has increased exponentially since 2001. It's a complex problem, disillusioned people misled into thinking there is a holy war perhaps. An ever growing social divide between Muslims and non-Muslims maybe. It could be as simple as Muslims wanting revenge for Western intervention. I don't know exactly why, if I'm honest, but the rise in terrorism is obviously somehow linked with what is going on in the Middle East.

yep ...apart from there actually is a holy war going on between radical, indoctrinated , medieval , lunatic , muslim zealots in syria and iraq at the moment....there may be 5 , 15 or 30,000 of the feckers , running around with their guns and knives , torturing , killing and raping other humans in the name of religion.....!! i understand that nowhere near all muslims are violent or subversive but there are a fair few out there who are.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Hard to disagree with any of that and very worrying indeed, as to what the future holds. Ironically, the gently gently approach would seem to be encouraging the fanatics, who become ever more numerous and emboldened, as they take advantage of our obsession with exaggerated political correctness.

Hence the rise in popularity of UKIP. Love them or loathe them, the longer things like those highlighted in that article go on, the more support UKIP are going to get. Personally, I don't support UKIP, but one can sometimes sympathise with some of what they say, even if they don't have a great way of saying it.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Nail Head...............

If you chose to look, if you stiffened your nerve, you could see two men being burnt alive this week. The first was in England. He was tethered at the centre of a wigwam of stakes. The night before his execution, James Baynham put his hand in the flame of a candle to see if he could bear it. He could not bear it.
The second man was burnt alive in Syria. His captors all wore masks and struck absurd Action Man poses. In his orange jumpsuit, he wandered bewildered and barefoot among them, tilting his head upwards, as though to sniff the air and see the sky for one last time. Then he was doused in petrol, put in a cage, and had to watch as a fuse of fire accelerated towards him. Flt Lt Moaz al-Kasasbeh faced his fate with great stillness and fortitude. But a burning man does not die quickly. Flesh does not take as paper takes. The figure engulfed in flame was clearly still human, and horribly so.
The first of these burnings alive took place in 1531, and was dramatised last night in BBC Two’s Wolf Hall. The victim was put to death for heresy, for wanting to read the Bible in English.
The second burning alive took place about a month ago and was dramatised by Islamic State, which showcased its barbarous act in a video using state-of-the-art graphics. The juxtaposition of high technology and basest cruelty defied belief. How could a species that advanced still be so terrifyingly backward?
The two executions are separated by 484 years, and the slow, patient development of what we call civilisation. We don’t burn people at the stake in Britain any more. Nor is heresy a sin. Oh, hang on: it is in Tower Hamlets.

Britain’s first elected Muslim mayor, Lutfur Rahman, is on trial this week for “subverting democracy”, running a “den of iniquity” and “systematically stealing votes”. The High Court was told this week that Muslim voters were in tears at the ballot box after being warned that it was “a sin” and “un‑Islamic” not to vote for Rahman, who allegedly funneled hundreds of thousands of pounds of public money to his cronies. The children of electoral rivals “received death threats on their mobiles”. Anyone who dared to challenge the mayor’s practices was branded racist or – my favourite – Islamophobic.
Neither the police nor any public body dared challenge this rotten borough. It took four ordinary citizens, including one Muslim restaurateur, Azmal Hussein, to bring a private action. This courageous quartet has lined up 100 witnesses, but many have reported “threats of violence, threats to their families in Bangladesh, pressure from their employers and pressure from the community”. Some are so terrified that a barrister claimed they would not take the witness stand even if ordered by the judge.
Is this really the UK in the 21st century? Or is it a brutish, zealously religious, feudal society (not unlike the Tudor England of Wolf Hall), imported from South Asia and allowed to flourish here unchecked because we haven’t had the guts to stand up for enlightened values?
To understand how this parlous situation came about, look no further than Jenny Watson, the chairman of the Electoral Commission, which has just published a report on vote fraud. The report was quite clear that the biggest risk of electoral fraud is in Pakistani and Bangladeshi communities, because of “kinship networks” – or, if you prefer, enforcers of the Muslim status quo – and low levels of literacy or English. Did Jenny Watson let those shameless fraudsters have it with both barrels? Not exactly. More in sorrow than in anger, she spoke of the strengths of a certain community which, in some circumstances, could, unfortunately, lead to…
When do you reckon liberal apologists like Jenny Watson will stop making excuses for undemocratic, uncivilised and downright illegal behaviour? I prefer the reaction of Azmal Hussein, the Tower Hamlets restaurant owner, who told Channel 4 News with a cheery grin: “Voter fraud is endemic in Bangladeshi and Pakistani communities. Because it is our culture.”
Notice Mr Hussein makes no attempt to pretend that his community’s culture is the same as mainstream British culture, as our flailing political leaders do. It is quite separate and runs according to its own rules and traditions, which we may well find abhorrent.
Take the disgusting scenes exposed this week at a Yorkshire halal slaughterhouse, recorded by Animal Aid. It showed Muslim men punching and taunting animals, waving knives in front of them and hacking at their throats. One joker even painted green spectacles on a sheep and other members of staff laughed as the terrified creature bled to death. Four slaughtermen have had their operating licences suspended and criminal prosecutions may follow. Good, that is exactly as it should be. But it doesn’t begin to address how a country that prides itself on animal welfare became home to butchers who don’t stun animals before slaughtering them.
Talking of lambs to the slaughter, cases of female genital mutilation are being reported at the staggering rate of 500 a month, according to the latest official figures. Results from the first four months in which hospitals have had to report cases of FGM to the health department show a total of 1,946 cases in England alone. And that is only the women and girls who have been seen by a doctor. Just imagine how widespread is this horrific, misogynistic practice.
In our country. Sometimes, it’s hard to get your head round that. One thousand 400 girls sexually abused, pimped and tortured by men of Pakistani heritage in Rotherham. In our country. Two actual Rotherham councillors now accused of taking part in that factory farming of young females. In our country. East London voters told they are heretics, guilty as sin, if they don’t vote for a Muslim mayor. In our country. Politicians, like police, colluding with cocksure rapists to avoid offending cultural sensitivities (or losing votes, according to how cynical you are). In our country.
Yesterday came a damning official report by Louise Casey saying that Labour’s Rotherham borough council was “in complete denial” and had failed to respond properly to last year’s scathing report by Prof Alexis Jay. Men of Pakistani origin had been allowed to abuse white girls in part because of “misplaced political correctness”: council staff were terrified of being labelled racist. Cowards and fools, they “decided such issues should be dealt with by people from the Pakistani community”. Good thinking, chaps!
In Rotherham, Casey also found that police had failed to pursue Pakistani perpetrators for fear of “offending the community”.
What community? Not yours and mine, that’s for sure. So desperate is the situation that Whitehall-appointed commissioners are to move in and take over the council. In Rotherham, we see with terrible clarity how the whole edifice of multiculturalism is as rotten as a Tudor monarch’s mouth.
I have never watched an Islamic State beheading video. Why pollute your mind with such hatred, I figured. But I made myself watch Flt Lt Moaz al-Kasasbeh being burnt alive. Something happens at a cellular level when you witness a fellow human suffer that much.
It has taken us many centuries to leave such savagery behind. Civilisation, however, cannot be taken for granted. It can be threatened by corruption, religious extremism; by cruelty to women and children and animals, and by good men averting their eyes from inconvenient truths.
The barbarities of Islamic State are easy to identify; those closer to home less so. But identify them, and fight them, we must. Let us pray that Rotherham marks the start of that fight.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
...... who become ever more numerous and emboldened, as they take advantage of our obsession with exaggerated political correctness.
... and here endeth the lesson......

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Nail Head...............

If you chose to look, if you stiffened your nerve, you could see two men being burnt alive this week. The first was in England. He was tethered at the centre of a wigwam of stakes. The night before his execution, James Baynham put his hand in the flame of a candle to see if he could bear it. He could not bear it.
The second man was burnt alive in Syria. His captors all wore masks and struck absurd Action Man poses. In his orange jumpsuit, he wandered bewildered and barefoot among them, tilting his head upwards, as though to sniff the air and see the sky for one last time. Then he was doused in petrol, put in a cage, and had to watch as a fuse of fire accelerated towards him. Flt Lt Moaz al-Kasasbeh faced his fate with great stillness and fortitude. But a burning man does not die quickly. Flesh does not take as paper takes. The figure engulfed in flame was clearly still human, and horribly so.
The first of these burnings alive took place in 1531, and was dramatised last night in BBC Two’s Wolf Hall. The victim was put to death for heresy, for wanting to read the Bible in English.
The second burning alive took place about a month ago and was dramatised by Islamic State, which showcased its barbarous act in a video using state-of-the-art graphics. The juxtaposition of high technology and basest cruelty defied belief. How could a species that advanced still be so terrifyingly backward?
The two executions are separated by 484 years, and the slow, patient development of what we call civilisation. We don’t burn people at the stake in Britain any more. Nor is heresy a sin. Oh, hang on: it is in Tower Hamlets.

Britain’s first elected Muslim mayor, Lutfur Rahman, is on trial this week for “subverting democracy”, running a “den of iniquity” and “systematically stealing votes”. The High Court was told this week that Muslim voters were in tears at the ballot box after being warned that it was “a sin” and “un‑Islamic” not to vote for Rahman, who allegedly funneled hundreds of thousands of pounds of public money to his cronies. The children of electoral rivals “received death threats on their mobiles”. Anyone who dared to challenge the mayor’s practices was branded racist or – my favourite – Islamophobic.
Neither the police nor any public body dared challenge this rotten borough. It took four ordinary citizens, including one Muslim restaurateur, Azmal Hussein, to bring a private action. This courageous quartet has lined up 100 witnesses, but many have reported “threats of violence, threats to their families in Bangladesh, pressure from their employers and pressure from the community”. Some are so terrified that a barrister claimed they would not take the witness stand even if ordered by the judge.
Is this really the UK in the 21st century? Or is it a brutish, zealously religious, feudal society (not unlike the Tudor England of Wolf Hall), imported from South Asia and allowed to flourish here unchecked because we haven’t had the guts to stand up for enlightened values?
To understand how this parlous situation came about, look no further than Jenny Watson, the chairman of the Electoral Commission, which has just published a report on vote fraud. The report was quite clear that the biggest risk of electoral fraud is in Pakistani and Bangladeshi communities, because of “kinship networks” – or, if you prefer, enforcers of the Muslim status quo – and low levels of literacy or English. Did Jenny Watson let those shameless fraudsters have it with both barrels? Not exactly. More in sorrow than in anger, she spoke of the strengths of a certain community which, in some circumstances, could, unfortunately, lead to…
When do you reckon liberal apologists like Jenny Watson will stop making excuses for undemocratic, uncivilised and downright illegal behaviour? I prefer the reaction of Azmal Hussein, the Tower Hamlets restaurant owner, who told Channel 4 News with a cheery grin: “Voter fraud is endemic in Bangladeshi and Pakistani communities. Because it is our culture.”
Notice Mr Hussein makes no attempt to pretend that his community’s culture is the same as mainstream British culture, as our flailing political leaders do. It is quite separate and runs according to its own rules and traditions, which we may well find abhorrent.
Take the disgusting scenes exposed this week at a Yorkshire halal slaughterhouse, recorded by Animal Aid. It showed Muslim men punching and taunting animals, waving knives in front of them and hacking at their throats. One joker even painted green spectacles on a sheep and other members of staff laughed as the terrified creature bled to death. Four slaughtermen have had their operating licences suspended and criminal prosecutions may follow. Good, that is exactly as it should be. But it doesn’t begin to address how a country that prides itself on animal welfare became home to butchers who don’t stun animals before slaughtering them.
Talking of lambs to the slaughter, cases of female genital mutilation are being reported at the staggering rate of 500 a month, according to the latest official figures. Results from the first four months in which hospitals have had to report cases of FGM to the health department show a total of 1,946 cases in England alone. And that is only the women and girls who have been seen by a doctor. Just imagine how widespread is this horrific, misogynistic practice.
In our country. Sometimes, it’s hard to get your head round that. One thousand 400 girls sexually abused, pimped and tortured by men of Pakistani heritage in Rotherham. In our country. Two actual Rotherham councillors now accused of taking part in that factory farming of young females. In our country. East London voters told they are heretics, guilty as sin, if they don’t vote for a Muslim mayor. In our country. Politicians, like police, colluding with cocksure rapists to avoid offending cultural sensitivities (or losing votes, according to how cynical you are). In our country.
Yesterday came a damning official report by Louise Casey saying that Labour’s Rotherham borough council was “in complete denial” and had failed to respond properly to last year’s scathing report by Prof Alexis Jay. Men of Pakistani origin had been allowed to abuse white girls in part because of “misplaced political correctness”: council staff were terrified of being labelled racist. Cowards and fools, they “decided such issues should be dealt with by people from the Pakistani community”. Good thinking, chaps!
In Rotherham, Casey also found that police had failed to pursue Pakistani perpetrators for fear of “offending the community”.
What community? Not yours and mine, that’s for sure. So desperate is the situation that Whitehall-appointed commissioners are to move in and take over the council. In Rotherham, we see with terrible clarity how the whole edifice of multiculturalism is as rotten as a Tudor monarch’s mouth.
I have never watched an Islamic State beheading video. Why pollute your mind with such hatred, I figured. But I made myself watch Flt Lt Moaz al-Kasasbeh being burnt alive. Something happens at a cellular level when you witness a fellow human suffer that much.
It has taken us many centuries to leave such savagery behind. Civilisation, however, cannot be taken for granted. It can be threatened by corruption, religious extremism; by cruelty to women and children and animals, and by good men averting their eyes from inconvenient truths.
The barbarities of Islamic State are easy to identify; those closer to home less so. But identify them, and fight them, we must. Let us pray that Rotherham marks the start of that fight.
I dont know where this came from,.... but it mirrors swathes of opinion amongst colleagues, family and friends in my life,........ what is your view on its sentiments [MENTION=7]Mustafa[/MENTION]?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Nail Head...............

I dont know where this came from,.... but it mirrors swathes of opinion amongst colleagues, family and friends in my life,........ what is your view on its sentiments [MENTION=7]Mustafa[/MENTION]?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath

It a an article by Alison Pearson in the telegraph I couldn't find a single thing to disagree with though I'm sure the usual head in the sand merchants on here will.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Nail Head...............

ise Casey saying that Labour’s RothTake the disgusting scenes exposed this week at a Yorkshire halal slaughterhouse, recorded by Animal Aid. It showed Muslim men punching and taunting animals, waving knives in front of them and hacking at their throats. One joker even painted green spectacles on a sheep and other members of staff laughed as the terrified creature bled to death. Four slaughtermen have had their operating licences suspended and criminal prosecutions may follow. Good, that is exactly as it should be. But it doesn’t begin to address how a country that prides itself on animal welfare became home to butchers who don’t stun animals before slaughtering them.
Yesterday came a damning official report by Louerham borough council was “in complete denial” and had failed to respond properly to last year’s scathing report by Prof Alexis Jay. Men of Pakistani origin had been allowed to abuse white girls in part because of “misplaced political correctness”: council staff were terrified of being labelled racist. Cowards and fools, they “decided such issues should be dealt with by people from the Pakistani community”. Good thinking, chaps!

exactly the point I was trying to make earlierbut not so elequently
not often I agree wholeheartedly with any post on here but this one is one of them

clungemeister

Jan 11, 2015
well written piece....well put and pretty well undeniable......people who looked over the rotherham situation and did nothing are piss weak and have sold the soul of that town for the sake of "keeping the peace".......twatts....!!

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
Men of Pakistani origin had been allowed to abuse white girls in part because of “misplaced political correctness”: council staff were terrified of being labelled racist. Cowards and fools, they “decided such issues should be dealt with by people from the Pakistani community”. Good thinking, chaps!

Nail Head as you say, this is the real danger, but i believe these cowards and fools, were guilty of inaction through cowardice and fear - and when brought to bear on their inaction blamed 'misplaced political correctness'. Lack of transparency can only fuel fear.

Anyone who turns a blind eye, as most seem to, for fear of rocking the boat are culpable in my opinion.

Political correctness has it's place, it is hard for many to understand i grant you, and many use it as an excuse for their cowardice as shown in your post, or perhaps as an excuse for laziness in tackling difficult problems. Many dislike 'political correctness' as it oppresses their right to bigoted speech. When it is misused by apologists, it is cringeworthy to the extreme and is not without it's problems. Unfortunately as repeatedly shown society does not have the moral backbone to go through periods of change without reacting to the accompanying fear.
It's a shame we can't rely on people to have a simple moral code of 'treat others how you wish to be treated' without enshrining it in these complex laws.

I thought a lot of your post was excellent, although i didn't read most of it as an 'attack' on muslims, which i see at the end many could interpret that slant to it. For instance FGM is not a muslim problem per se, as it occurs in christian countries also in that general geographic area.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
exactly the point I was trying to make earlierbut not so elequently
not often I agree wholeheartedly with any post on here but this one is one of them

To be fair, up until recently we allowed foxhunting, not really any difference is there ? Although I agree halal/kosher slaughter should be outlawed

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Nail Head...............

A worrying chilling report. Many true scenarios going on all the time. They will carry on....

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I thought a lot of your post was excellent, although i didn't read most of it as an 'attack' on muslims, which i see at the end many could interpret that slant to it. For instance FGM is not a muslim problem per se, as it occurs in christian countries also in that general geographic area.

I wasn't the only one who read it as a bit of a one side attack, but agree the overall thrust is correct.

What is a sort of irony is that Animal Aid have been trying to get into the mainstream media for years with campaigns exposing numerous slaughter houses practices around the UK. They uncover one Halal one and it is front page news. Now so it should be I might add, but Alison in her article makes out that before the Yorkshire case, we had an unblemished record. http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/CAMPAIGNS/slaughter/ALL///

I can't also have been the only person to have picked up on the irony of using the analogy with Henry VIII and the Tudors in making a point about the abuse of women and children when long before Rotherham, we continue to uncover long term abuses of women and children by the Catholic Church, completely covered up by the church and a blind eye turned by authorities. Her point is no doubt correct regarding the authorities inability to act, but this isn't a case unique to Rotherham, or to Muslim perpetrators for that matter. As with the cases we've seen through the BBC and media, to politicians, abuse has been widely covered up and authorities unwilling to act.

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
I wasn't the only one who read it as a bit of a one side attack, but agree the overall thrust is correct.

What is a sort of irony is that Animal Aid have been trying to get into the mainstream media for years with campaigns exposing numerous slaughter houses practices around the UK. They uncover one Halal one and it is front page news. Now so it should be I might add, but Alison in her article makes out that before the Yorkshire case, we had an unblemished record. http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/CAMPAIGNS/slaughter/ALL///

I can't also have been the only person to have picked up on the irony of using the analogy with Henry VIII and the Tudors in making a point about the abuse of women and children when long before Rotherham, we continue to uncover long term abuses of women and children by the Catholic Church, completely covered up by the church and a blind eye turned by authorities. Her point is no doubt correct regarding the authorities inability to act, but this isn't a case unique to Rotherham, or to Muslim perpetrators for that matter. As with the cases we've seen through the BBC and media, to politicians, abuse has been widely covered up and authorities unwilling to act.

Yes, quite agree. It is human nature to correlate all these events and claim causation for them.

So anyone connected with Islam that now does anything that could be interpreted as bad will have their connection to their faith brought up and used as evidence that 'muslims' are bad.

I wouldn't mind so much - putting aside the morals that i think people should be treated how i want to be treated - but it prevents proper analysis and therefore response.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports