Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is YOUR livelihood threatened by Coronavirus (almost certainly a depressing thread)

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
So, after Johnson throwing small businesses under the bus by not closing pubs and restaurants, hence no insurance payout, my daughter has informed me that 1.2 million people in high risk categories will get a letter ‘advising’ them to self isolate for 12 weeks.
Due to previous health problems, I will more than likely be one of the 1.2 million, if I can’t work for that length of time, unless there’s a bale out, not just business rates reprieve, ( I don’t have to pay them anyway) my business will almost certainly go to the wall.

I only took 10 days off sick in the Summer after an operation to get rid of cancer in my throat I have to work, or I don’t get any money.
I had already promised 3 OAPs that I would be delivering their lunches( all 80 plus) on my way home from work so they didn’t have to come into town, I don’t know what they will do if we have to shut.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
So, after Johnson throwing small businesses under the bus by not closing pubs and restaurants, hence no insurance payout, my daughter has informed me that 1.2 million people in high risk categories will get a letter ‘advising’ them to self isolate for 12 weeks.
Due to previous health problems, I will more than likely be one of the 1.2 million, if I can’t work for that length of time, unless there’s a bale out, not just business rates reprieve, ( I don’t have to pay them anyway) my business will almost certainly go to the wall.

I only took 10 days off sick in the Summer after an operation to get rid of cancer in my throat I have to work, or I don’t get any money.
I had already promised 3 OAPs that I would be delivering their lunches( all 80 plus) on my way home from work so they didn’t have to come into town, I don’t know what they will do if we have to shut.

There has to be some financial support from government, otherwise there will be riots.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
6.40pm tonight parent company issues a recruitment ban across the UK (190 branches) at all levels of the business for the group that I manage a branch of.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
With this Government’s record on looking after the less loaded in society, I’m not holding my breath. I might not be able to soon, anyway [emoji2]
Dont get caught saying things like that on the virus thread [emoji6] Boris cares about every citizen dont you know

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London

That's so tough fella.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Job offer withdrawn...supplier has also gone to the wall owing £4.5k...

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
UK office which we're officially organised under just did an all-work-from-home instruction; we'd already put nearly everyone at home as mentioned as the Government requests/commands are a few days ahead of the UK (pubs are all closed already for instance).

However this still doesn't apply to me, which is probably a positive thing for job security, for now...

We're down >50% revenue wise already though.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
That's so tough fella.

Yeah, on top of all that, it’s the quarterly rent payment at the end of the month, and I had an EHO inspection last month, and they’ve introduced a safe gas test in it, My stove would have been condemned, so I’ve had to buy a new one, so, it’s been a hefty month money wise before this lot.

I got a 5 on scores on the doors though.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Someone I know is a private chef and cooked for Dunk & Stephens tonight, so he seems alright for now at least

Altered State

Feb 19, 2008
Olney, Bucks
Yup. Am a freelance consultant and trainer. All face to face.

All my month's work has been cancelled

Could look at selling your content online - I’m sure the market for online courses is going to grow over the next few months.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I'm sure there's a lot of buy to let property owners a tad concerned. Tis the risk you take, I suppose.

Absolutely. I’m lucky that every penny I’ve had in rent I’ve saved for a rainy day. But I know of others who haven’t built that safety net.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Absolutely. I’m lucky that every penny I’ve had in rent I’ve saved for a rainy day. But I know of others who haven’t built that safety net.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loads of issues ahead. Defaults in rent leading to defaults in mortgage payments. Homelessness abound.

What a mess it could be. Need strong Government and lose the politics!

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Fortunately not (I don't think) as I work in the public sector. & demand for my work often increases with public emergencies

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
Yes. As a professional in the Construction Industry, my Company has been affected by Brexit delaying decision making by Clients in moving forwards with projects; the Grenfell situation which has lead to a five-fold increase in our Professional Indemnity Insurance renewal this year (wiping out most of our profit for the year) and the current situation now makes an ongoing hand-to-mouth business existence even more difficult to navigate.

SicilianHungary

Dec 5, 2015
My hope in this week was completely misplaced. We're closed for a long time now.

Will have to give Universal Credit another go, first time in four years.

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
Professional gambler who relies on horse racing for a living which mainly means getting cash down in shops. I'm surprised, and pleased, that racing is still going ahead but am slightly wary of travelling to London to get the cash on at the moment. Racing maybe able to go ahead for a while behind closed doors which will help but at some stage the betting shops will be shut down I guess which will mean relying on Betfair as have no access to other accounts and any I can use just get shut within months.

We have no mortgage and the Mrs has a couple of small pensions, also the last year has been the best I've ever had so we can carry on living for at least a few years without any further earnings. Cheltenham last week was a bonanza which will cover at least five months bills, handily.

Bit of a worry but can't do anything about so wont be worrying too much about it. More concerned about the parents catching the virus than worrying about money at the moment.

Unemployed after Today until jumps racing starts again, could be a while. Managed to cash in a load of betting slips yesterday which was a right result as one shop took all my slips for one company that were placed across about ten shops in the last two months and amounting to about £7k. I still had them as it's easier to place bets using the winning slips rather than cashing them immediately and carrying the cash around. We obviously have no idea when racing will start again so will try and enjoy the enforced break although that is going to be very hard I feel. Financially, it will mean I'm not winning money but not losing money either, historically April, May and June have not been the best months anyway which will help me look on the bright side.

Slightly apprehensive about when racing will start again but nothing I can do about it so whatever happens, happens. I feely very lucky to be in the position I am and that all the hard work I've put in over the years has been worth it. I will use the downtime to continue to dive deeper into the data looking for trends and weaknesses in my betting.

On the plus side, I hope when racing starts again, all the shop staff will have forgotten who I am:ohmy:

Good luck to everyone on this thread that will be affected.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Unemployed after Today until jumps racing starts again, could be a while. Managed to cash in a load of betting slips yesterday which was a right result as one shop took all my slips for one company that were placed across about ten shops in the last two months and amounting to about £7k. I still had them as it's easier to place bets using the winning slips rather than cashing them immediately and carrying the cash around. We obviously have no idea when racing will start again so will try and enjoy the enforced break although that is going to be very hard I feel. Financially, it will mean I'm not winning money but not losing money either, historically April, May and June have not been the best months anyway which will help me look on the bright side.

Slightly apprehensive about when racing will start again but nothing I can do about it so whatever happens, happens. I feely very lucky to be in the position I am and that all the hard work I've put in over the years has been worth it. I will use the downtime to continue to dive deeper into the data looking for trends and weaknesses in my betting.

On the plus side, I hope when racing starts again, all the shop staff will have forgotten who I am:ohmy:

Good luck to everyone on this thread that will be affected.

Are a few meetings going ahead, but behind closed stable doors?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here