Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is this one of the greatest England cricket teams of all time?

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Not the greatest but it certainly contains a couple of the greatest players around at the moment, is there currently a better opener than Cook? (and before anyone says Amla, he's been in at 3 a bit recently) Is there a better keeper/batsman than Prior? and to a lesser extent as it probably wouldn't work in many other continents but is there a better pair of spinners?

Buffalo Seagull

Jun 1, 2006
Geelong, Vic, Australia
Did they absolutely pulverise them in the way we have in the last 2 tests?

They won the series 2-1, which is what England will do. Australia's victories were by 217 and 342 runs, before India produced perhaps the most spin-friendly wicket in the history of test cricket and won the final test by 13 runs. India picked one seamer and three spinners for the match and it was over inside three days. In the second innings, Nathan Hauritz took the new ball for Australia ahead of Glen McGrath, and Michael Clarke took 6/9!!!
Don't forget also that the Indian team back then would smash their current team, with Sehwag, Tendulkar, Dravid, Laxman, Ganguly, Kumble and Harbajan Singh all in their prime.

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
I'm not a big cricket fan, but nothing in that sport will ever, and I mean EVER, surpass THAT match when Botham and Willis trashed the Aussies. I'm sure a proper cricket buff will correct me but I think it was the Ashes in 1982. I was proper drunk that night!!! :)

larus

Yes I believe this is one of the greatest teams we've had. Cook and Pietersen sit at the top of the centurions in our test history, Trott has a great average, Bell has 14 or so centuries so right up there with many greats, Prior is up there with Stewart as the best wicketkeeper- batsman, we have the best spin duo for 50 years and we have Anderson approaching 300 wickets with Finn likely to match that if he stays fit.

Couldn't agree more. No team is ever filled with genuine world-class players. There may be 1, 2 or even 3, plus a number of really good players. Nostalgia is never a good friend of the truth. This is an excellent team. I would put the saffers series down to discontent within the team. With any team, there are always some players nearing the end of their career, some at the start or some maybe out of form. I honestly believe this will go down as a golden era of English cricket.

Cook (assuming he stays fit), will end up with an amazing record. He's now averaging 70 since the tour of Australia.

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
Twas a spectacular night! In the days before 24 hour and multi-channel TV the last day of the cricket was broadcast live because it was such a close/tense match. I made a pyramid of my empty beer cans and apparently this really upset my mother! All part of life's rich tapestry!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here