Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is this one of the greatest England cricket teams of all time?

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
We are absolutely OWNING India in their own back yard, for the 2nd test running. Even Australia in their Warne/McGrath/Ponting prime didn’t do that. Historic stuff...

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
We are absolutely OWNING India in their own back yard, for the 2nd test running. Even Australia in their Warne/McGrath/Ponting prime didn’t do that. Historic stuff...

True, and great to see, but it's only a couple of weeks since we were supposedly rubbish after getting thumped in the UAE, losing at home to South Africa and being outplayed in the first Test in India. Not sure this is a great Indian team either, with their best players past their prime and some of the new breed not up to scratch. And some of their fielding reminds me of me.

Really enjoying watching Test cricket at the moment (not just England) because for the first time in my memory there isn't one outstanding side. South Africa might lay claim to that title, and deserve to be ranked at number one, but their recent series in Oz could easily have gone the other way.

Best England side or not, I'm now looking forward to back-to-back Ashes series next year when a few weeks back I was starting to dread them. But hopefully we can finish the job in India first.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The best team in recent history has, for me, been the one that beat the Aussies in 2005.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Cook is a monster

Shirty

Daring to Zlatan
Cook is a monster

CM.png

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
The best team in recent history has, for me, been the one that beat the Aussies in 2005.

I'd agree with that. Aussies were a little past their prime but still a great side and for us to win after going to down in the series for a tremendous achievement.

Quality all throughout the side. Such a pity that Simon Jones never really made it back to fitness. Was an exceptional bowler in that series.

RupertsFlan

Nov 28, 2012
I believe that India are not what they were. Dravid and LAxman no logner in that side which is a massive gap. Ashwin not quite the bowler he was built up to be - I think that Monty has shown England to be better spinners than India - not sure that has been the case before. Quality side yes - but still reliant on Cook , Prior and Pietersen in this series. Bell, Compton (getting much better every innings to be fair) Bairstow, Patel - take their averages as a bunch and theyre not that great.

We will be a great side when we show the ability to come back rfom 114-6 and get 400. LIke the Aussies used to.

And as for 2005 - was a great series but watch the box set back now and one realises how much went for England throughout that series. Big decisions, drop catches, tosses won in favourable conditions and the McGrath injury just after they had murdered us in the first test.

Epic series yes. Epic side? No.

The one of the last 18 months in my opinion is much better. Geraint Jones, a woeful Ian Bell, ashley giles & Matthew Hoggard or:

Matt Prior, Monty Panesar, Alistair Cook and Steven Finn.

I dont believe there is any comparison.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yeah, but then they were relatively cack for the next 3-4 years. As a one-off side, great, but didn't build on it.

But that was circumstance really, Simon Jones & Vaughan got bad injuries, Trescothick succumbed to illness; rather than smooth transitions for new players coming in, it was a dramatic change of captains, coaches etc. I don't think it takes anything away for how good that team was, even if it was for a short period.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
No disrespect to Cook and Pietersen and other current test batsmen but test bowling in the last 4-5 years has been distinctly ordinary. Would they have filled their boots against any of the great Windies pace attacks, through the 70's and 80's, or Lillee and Thompson, or Warne and McGrath in their pomp, or Wasim Akram and Waquar Younis, or Richard Hadlee? ( To name just a few )
The current England batting line-up is a pale shadow of Gooch ( + Boycott/Broad/Robinson )Gatting,Gower,Lamb and Botham who all faced the W Indies greatest ever bowlers. Before that was Boycott, Edrich, Dexter, Cowdrey, Barrington ( Graveney even ) D'oliveira. Tony Greig batted at six for England followed by Knott and Illingworth, all capable of making test hundreds.
We have a decent bowling attack at present but not outstanding. It is made to look better by some of the other test attacks around. Steyn and Morkel are aggressive and effective but will never make it into the all-time lists.
So my answer is no.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
No disrespect to Cook and Pietersen and other current test batsmen but test bowling in the last 4-5 years has been distinctly ordinary. Would they have filled their boots against any of the great Windies pace attacks, through the 70's and 80's, or Lillee and Thompson, or Warne and McGrath in their pomp, or Wasim Akram and Waquar Younis, or Richard Hadlee? ( To name just a few )
The current England batting line-up is a pale shadow of Gooch ( + Boycott/Broad/Robinson )Gatting,Gower,Lamb and Botham who all faced the W Indies greatest ever bowlers. Before that was Boycott, Edrich, Dexter, Cowdrey, Barrington ( Graveney even ) D'oliveira. Tony Greig batted at six for England followed by Knott and Illingworth, all capable of making test hundreds.
We have a decent bowling attack at present but not outstanding. It is made to look better by some of the other test attacks around. Steyn and Morkel are aggressive and effective but will never make it into the all-time lists.
So my answer is no.

That sounds like a lot of rose-tinted stuff to me. Steyn will go down as one of the all-time greats - look at his bowling average on covered, batsman-friendly pitches. Its all very well saying that the old West Indian attack was "lethal" but they were bowling on some absolute MINEFIELDS at times.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Sadly, no. This Indian side isn't much good, neither are the Aussies at the moment. The best side around at the moment, much as I hate to say it, are the Saffers. Their batting line up is solid and their bowling is excellent other than Tahir, who is shite. The one thing they never had was consistency, but they seem to be sorting that out.

I will say, though, that Cook is only now coming into his prime as a batsman. He will become one of the best ever.

But we are 2 batsmen light, Patel should not be in the side and Bell is too inconsistent. Top 4 is very good. Bowling wise, we are also light. Jimmy and Swann are very good, Monty's good on a turning pitch. The other seamers are average.

But a series win in India will be magnificent if they can pull it off, even if India are not the best at the moment.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
No, not a 'great' England team. It is a very good series so far for England especially as we normally do well to draw Test series in India but then this is a poor Indian side who have bizarrely prepared pitches that we have made better use of. Yes its a great effort for an England side that isn't as strong as it was and some players are not in great form eg Trott, Bell (and Broad who has been dropped) plus Compton and Patel are trying to establish themselves. Only 6 are really showing any consistency: Cook, Pietersen, Prior, Swann, Monty and Anderson. I feel we will emerge with great confidence and credit from this tour. Then it will be New Zealand down under in totally different conditions. The next big test will be next summer / winter with back to back Ashes series.

It is more realistic to judge us against South Africa who took away our no.1 Test status on our own turf when we were quite poor last summer and previously we had an awful winter. When we beat the South Africans next I will think again.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Yes I believe this is one of the greatest teams we've had. Cook and Pietersen sit at the top of the centurions in our test history, Trott has a great average, Bell has 14 or so centuries so right up there with many greats, Prior is up there with Stewart as the best wicketkeeper- batsman, we have the best spin duo for 50 years and we have Anderson approaching 300 wickets with Finn likely to match that if he stays fit.

Feb 14, 2010
S'Africa destroyed us in the summer at home. They didnt just beat us, they won almost every session. India, well lets be honest you never know with them. We are a good side tho', when they pick the right side

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
I believe that India are not what they were. Dravid and LAxman no logner in that side which is a massive gap. Ashwin not quite the bowler he was built up to be - I think that Monty has shown England to be better spinners than India - not sure that has been the case before. Quality side yes - but still reliant on Cook , Prior and Pietersen in this series. Bell, Compton (getting much better every innings to be fair) Bairstow, Patel - take their averages as a bunch and theyre not that great.

We will be a great side when we show the ability to come back rfom 114-6 and get 400. LIke the Aussies used to.

And as for 2005 - was a great series but watch the box set back now and one realises how much went for England throughout that series. Big decisions, drop catches, tosses won in favourable conditions and the McGrath injury just after they had murdered us in the first test.

Epic series yes. Epic side? No.

The one of the last 18 months in my opinion is much better. Geraint Jones, a woeful Ian Bell, ashley giles & Matthew Hoggard or:

Matt Prior, Monty Panesar, Alistair Cook and Steven Finn.

I dont believe there is any comparison.

Is that not like saying SA are relient on Smith, Amla, Kallis and? Most of the great sides have a world class opener, wicket keeper batsman, middle order batsman/all rounder and a world class bowler.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here