[Humour] Is this joke offensive?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
It is clearly racist as there was no need to mention nationality and imply a merely supporting role for that nation.

I don't find it offensive, myself, but I suspect some would.
I didn’t find it offensive and I didn’t think it implied a merely supporting role for that nation - Kenyan pacemakers have typically been used to support their own runners and they’ve been fantastically successful over the years and the envy of most countries. That said, if you didn’t know that, then you might take a different view.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I didn’t find it offensive and I didn’t think it implied a merely supporting role for that nation - Kenyan pacemakers have typically been used to support their own runners and they’ve been fantastically successful over the years and the envy of most countries. That said, if you didn’t know that, then you might take a different view.

In your opinion, does the inclusion of the 'little Kenyan bloke' add anything to the joke or would changing it to simply 'runner' detract from it?

Back in the heady days of the 70's, I'm sure it would have been 'little black fella', and most would agree that's unacceptable, nowadays.
Simply exchanging it for 'little Kenyan bloke' doesn't really cut it for me, personally, as there's really very little difference between the two, and although it appears less racist on face value, it still will do to many people, and that's what should matter.

Ken Livingstone Seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Maui, Hawaii
Well, just read some of this thread and that's 10 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

Lenny, you're ok mate. Some of you have waaay too much time on your hands and not enough to do.

But hey, while we're on the subject, how many angels Can you fit on the head of a pin?

FFS

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Well, just read some of this thread and that's 10 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

Lenny, you're ok mate. Some of you have waaay too much time on your hands and not enough to do.

But hey, while we're on the subject, how many angels Can you fit on the head of a pin?

FFS

You and [MENTION=1200]Harry Wilson's tackle[/MENTION] were actual twins, separated at birth, n'est-ce pas?

You win though. Give me Hawaii over Faversham any day.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
In your opinion, does the inclusion of the 'little Kenyan bloke' add anything to the joke or would changing it to simply 'runner' detract from it?

Back in the heady days of the 70's, I'm sure it would have been 'little black fella', and most would agree that's unacceptable, nowadays.
Simply exchanging it for 'little Kenyan bloke' doesn't really cut it for me, personally, as there's really very little difference between the two, and although it appears less racist on face value, it still will do to many people, and that's what should matter.
I didn’t think too deeply about it - I’ve simply admired the Kenyans for many years for their fantastic middle distance runners - revered in the world of athletics.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You and [MENTION=1200]Harry Wilson's tackle[/MENTION] were actual twins, separated at birth, n'est-ce pas?

You win though. Give me Hawaii over Faversham any day.

I first met [MENTION=921]Ken Livingstone Seagull[/MENTION] around 20 years ago.....some years later a beery afternoon ended up in a hospitalization :facepalm:

One of the good guys :thumbsup:

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I didn’t think too deeply about it - I’ve simply admired the Kenyans for many years for their fantastic middle distance runners - revered in the world of athletics.

Oh, indeed, very successful, but having had a chance to perhaps consider the question, I would be interested in your thoughts.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

FFS

Come on. It's 666. Everyone knows that :shrug:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I first met [MENTION=921]Ken Livingstone Seagull[/MENTION] around 20 years ago.....some years later a beery afternoon ended up in a hospitalization :facepalm:

One of the good guys :thumbsup:

The "FFS" was so well placed and necessary I thought you might well have been dictating the post via his Alexa.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
You undo your faux outrage yourself by stating ‘nasty’ stereotypes! Exactly. Being well known for producing the worlds greatest athletes isn’t a “nasty” stereotype. It’s a glorious trait!

Unless of course you’re looking for offence and controversy. Which I suspect you are, so I’ll stop biting your bait.

If I had given any indication of outrage, you still would not have a point, I was trying to point out that it doesn't have to be nasty to be racist.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
People do that shit all the time though. Think of football. Two teams playing, one with a very big white player up front (we'll call him Wout Weghorst) and one with a very big black player up front (we'll call him Adebayo Akinfenwa). In the stands there will inevitably be people who refer to Weghorst as the big lad up front and Akinfenwa as the big black lad up front. Why? It's totally unnecessary. It's not some kind of woke yoghurt knitting to point out this disparity, you literally get small, almost insignificant, casual racism in the stands of this sort all the time. Is it enough to get the game called off and people thrown in jail? No, of course not, that would be ridiculous. It's just enough to put off a BAME fan at their first game from returning, or a copper overhearing it, stopping and searching an innocent black youngster because they were on the large side and wearing a hoody.

The "joke" isn't offensive, per se. Nor is it particularly funny. It is, to quote Pink Floyd, just another brick in the wall.
In what way is describing Adebayo Akinfenwa as the big black lad up front in any way demeaning or insulting to him? Would he - should he - be offended by it? Is being black something he should be ashamed of, and prefer it not to be mentioned? 'Black' in this context is simply an adjective, as would be the case with 'the big ginger lad up front', or 'the big bald b*****d up front'.

As far as the OP's joke is concerned, a small Kenyan athlete might be offended - but even then he would be an over-sensitive git. Anyone who takes it on themselves to be outraged on his behalf, whether he is offended or not, really needs to get a life.

Last edited:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
FFS is [MENTION=921]Ken Livingstone Seagull[/MENTION] posting AGAIN?!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Whereas others strive to move forwards and away from such laziness - or become 'woke', as I believe it's currently termed.

Our stereotype amongst foreigners is often how upright we are. Just saying…

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
People do that shit all the time though. Think of football. Two teams playing, one with a very big white player up front (we'll call him Wout Weghorst) and one with a very big black player up front (we'll call him Adebayo Akinfenwa). In the stands there will inevitably be people who refer to Weghorst as the big lad up front and Akinfenwa as the big black lad up front. Why? It's totally unnecessary. It's not some kind of woke yoghurt knitting to point out this disparity, you literally get small, almost insignificant, casual racism in the stands of this sort all the time. Is it enough to get the game called off and people thrown in jail? No, of course not, that would be ridiculous. It's just enough to put off a BAME fan at their first game from returning, or a copper overhearing it, stopping and searching an innocent black youngster because they were on the large side and wearing a hoody.

The "joke" isn't offensive, per se. Nor is it particularly funny. It is, to quote Pink Floyd, just another brick in the wall.

I’m not sure what you’re on about if honest.

Agree the joke isn’t racist though. Thought it is funny so disagree on that.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
If I had given any indication of outrage, you still would not have a point, I was trying to point out that it doesn't have to be nasty to be racist.

I think that’s rather splitting hairs given racism is unquestionably negative. Anyway, if you ever go to an int.football tournament please don’t associate Brazilians with football. They hate it. Don’t want to talk about it. And for gods sake don’t mention Pele. I remember taxi drivers overseas asking if I knew Bobby Charlton back in the day, and I asked them to stop the car and got out outraged at the casual racism endemic across major European countries if Taxi drivers were anything to go by.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

FFS
Just like Stone Cold returning...

"Bah gawd, its KLS!"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports