Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Is this joke offensive?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Do you think they have this sort of discussion on the likes of Burnley's forums? Or just about anywhere else other than Brighton's, in fact?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
It's racial stereotyping, so yes it's an offensive racist joke that you'd expect to hear from Jim Davidson and it's depressing that no one else can see it.

This.

I would guess that it falls into the ‘micro aggression’ category rather than the outright ‘racist’ joke as the intent is clearly not to belittle Kenyans. I would suggest the OP asks a Kenyan about the joke rather than make an ill judged throw-away comment to the complainer and then hope to gain some sort of empathy or justification from complaining on NSC and hoping for some sort of anti-woke outrage by some of our white, heterosexual, male 70+ members.

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Attended a dinner in London night.

One of the Comedian's gags was...…

"I went to the Doctors last week and he said I've now got to have a pacemaker, so I've a got little Kenyan bloke comes everywhere with me now"

As one of the organisers of the dinner I was approached at the end and told by a guest they found that gag had crossed the line.

No doubt I will get flamed on here by some, but sorry with all that's currently going on in the country and the world in general, are we danger of becoming a little too precious?

Thank Christ he didn't do the 'Death or Bongo' gag.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Blimey, I expected this would have been sorted one way or the other by now. I’m a bit offended now that the pacemaker has to be Kenyan. We have quite fast runners over here as well. Not me, admittedly.

It was nailed on from the outset that this thread was going to turn into a bit of a binfest

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I'm afraid you are 'wrong off the bat' there though. The 'little Kenyan' reference is an essential part of the joke. It is the visual humour. You have to be able to see the two characters in your mind's eye to appreciate the idea that this is not a heart pacemaker, so the Kenyan character is active.

Do we need to even reference his nationality? For example...

"I went to the Doctors last week and he said I've now got to have a pacemaker, so I've a got this little bloke in running shorts in front of me everywhere I go."

This sums it up perfectly well, for me, as the 'joke' would have worked equally well without referencing a 'little Kenyan'.
Was there a need to...really?
Does it add anything?
I don't think it does, and it clearly can (and does) give rise to offence being given and taken, so why not avoid that possibility entirely?

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
But it IS based on a racial stereotype. Of course it is. Goodness me...

The "joke" is implying that all Kenyans are good runners and that that's all Kenya is known for. It's reinforcing the stereotype that if you're a Kenyan, you must be a good runner. It's racist nonsense.

I’d take issue with your analysis. The joke is not implying that all Kenyans are good runners. It is implying that all pacemakers are Kenyan, which is quite different.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
So, I’m guessing that those offended by the joke, are offended by a Kenyan being specified?

The joke relies on the recipient having prior knowledge that Kenya has a history of producing many fine long-distance runners, and that pacemakers (running) are often employed in long distance runs.

So, is it derogatory for a country to have an international reputation in particular sports? Or to use that reputation when making a joke?

Offence (especially in humour) is personal, you either feel it or you don’t. I’ve certainly come across lots of nasty small-minded humour in my time where the joke has clearly been derogatory and an effort to belittle an individual or a group. The joke here (to my mind) just relies on the word pacemaker having multiple meanings.

I can’t help but feel that those on this thread taking offence on behalf of the Kenyan people are trying significantly too hard.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Subjective: Joke is incredibly mild, relatively poor and inoffensive.

Objective: Joke states/hints that Kenyans are known to be runners. A ‘positive stereotype’.

Opinion: Some people find humour in some stereotypes, some don’t.
With this particular ‘positive stereotype’, I’m not surprised that some people have found offence in it, on behalf of (I presume) Kenyan runners/athletes.

It’s not punching down, or up. It’s a weak/mild joke with an equally weak/mild positive stereotype.
That’s all.
Recommend releasing the grip of pearls.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I’m very offended.

I’m unbig , 5’6” if you’re interested.

I also have a pacemaker, a heart devise, not a runner to regulate my speed.

I’ve also been to Kenya, I loved it there, possibly the best country I’ve ever been to.

I don’t know which bit of the joke offends me most though.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
My dog's got no nose.

How does it smell?

Terrible.

Aside from the joke police, this must offend folk with smelling disorders, missing noses etc from surgical operations etc and folk with personal hygiene issues.

I love it.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Knock, knock
Who's there?
little boy who can't reach the bell

So, that's offensive to the short arse little boy, or lofty who installed the bell???

D

Deleted member 2719

Why did the scarecrow win an award?

Because he was outstanding in his field.

Anyone offended???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here