Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is there actually any truth in the Glenn Murray speculation?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Where are you getting your info? The silence is deafening on both Rosenior and Bong. KLL came back months after we were oriiginally told and Baldock appears to be an ongoing sick note. I wouldn't count on either Bong or Rosenior being back before the end of Feb. We are very slow at getting injured players back.

Are we slow or is CH extra cautious to avoid a recurrence

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Where are you getting your info? The silence is deafening on both Rosenior and Bong. KLL came back months after we were oriiginally told and Baldock appears to be an ongoing sick note. I wouldn't count on either Bong or Rosenior being back before the end of Feb. We are very slow at getting injured players back.

Rosenior is targeting a return for the home game against Leeds.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007

Rosenior said 6 weeks in Argus piece dated 6th Jan.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Didn't you mention, in one of the other glenn murray threads, that he has developed a reputation for being lazy in training?

He won't be at Brighton then if thats the case.

It took CH 2 years to get rid of Grant Holt and Steve Morison because they didn't want to train either. They just wanted to play on the Saturday and have a 5 a side match during the week in training

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I believe that there was a fallout and Poyet letting him go was a personal issue. The way he left was too odd to be anything else.

There have been people who have suggested that Poyet and GM's other half had a problem. I can't back that up but I could believe it.

I really think that only something non-football related like that could be the logical reason.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
I really think that only something non-football related like that could be the logical reason.

But even something like that doesn't begin to explain it. Even if it were true, and gives a logical reason for letting Murray go, it still doesn't make any sense at all of Poyet throwing all his budget at the completely unsuitable, Craig flipping Mackail bloody Smith.

I think we were closer to the mark earlier, tbh - Gus thought he was a visionary who had a plan to evolve his system further in a manner that it would still work with a quicker front man.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Gus constantly banged on about patient, intelligent, passing football. Our team completely exemplified this, in both it's strengths and weaknesses. The ideology was there for all to see, I've never seen a League One side with such an identity.

I don't know if there was a striker in England at the correct level who suited this better than Glenn Murray. I'm not sure there was one at the correct level who suited it less than CMS. The way Gus liked to play would suggest that he really REALLY wouldn't rate a headless chicken like CMS. I still wonder if there's something to the whole story we don't know about.

In CMS' first season, after we had been thrashed at Liverpool in the Cup, we then played at Hull on the Wednesday evening (a 0-0 draw). The next game was at home to Ipswich, and there was an article in the programme focussing on CMS and the Hull game. CMS was quoted thus:-

I felt like I could implement my game more than I have been able to in previous games. I like to wear defenders out so I like getting the ball in the channels and then I can come short and catch the defenders on their heels, but it makes it harder for me when we play that real passing game. I haven't been able to get myself in the game as much recently but at Hull, largely because of the pitch, we couldn't play our normal game so there were a lot more balls being played into me, I really enjoyed it.

He was then asked about Poyet liking to play the passing game, and replied:-

This is the way that the gaffer plays and I have got to adjust my game to that. At Hull I could play my way but there are other days where I have got to play a different way. My role as a striker is to adapt and to keep learning.

CMS clearly knew (at that stage) that his style of play was completely unsuited to the Poyet style of play. I wonder how long after signing it took for him to figure that out (and start regretting his decision?). And I wonder how long it took Bloom to figure that out?

Oh well, at least CMS wasn't our most expensive signing ever....

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
I would have thought Murray would be looking for guaranteed game time. Is that something we could offer?

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Does this mean no striker by Monday? Surely it does. Naylor was wrong with that too then!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Poppett63

Jul 16, 2011
Firstly, he would of course be the FOURTH player in the squad to have come back after a Premiership career, Andy Naylor forgot Andrew Crofts.

Where would we have been now if we had paid a bit more and kept him when Poyet was the manager? Probably been up and come back down, maybe twice.

He only transferred for £4m to Bournmouth and would do a good job for at least two and a half seasons so just bloody get him now and watch us win games by more than one goal. Our goal difference will probably be worth a point at the end of the season.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
I'm a bit underwhelmed by this to be honest after all the talk of a big money striker ,at least it's just a loan

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here