Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Is there a team more deserving of rotting in League One than Brentford?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We are playing Arsenal at home later today.

If the half time pie isn't properly hot, I'll swing for someone, so help me.
At half time v Arsenal there will be nobody left to swing for...

...Other than gooners in the home end.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Because they bored me silly. Luton give it a go but Brentford were time wasting at home from about 15 minutes.

And, frankly, it's a shit ground for a new one. No hot food in the ground at all until someone remembered to cook a batch of sausage rolls and no burger vans or whatnot around either. They didn't even have an alcohol licence in the first year there. Luton seems widely ridiculed for having an away entrance over people's houses but at least they're proper houses. Brentford's away end is through a set of yuppie flats with questionable cladding. No wonder they have all those stewards, you could walk for weeks and not find it. And then when you do get in there you watch 11 players parking the bus, the coach and the articulated lorry and launching long throws.

Not for me, Clive.
Largely agree.

Along with Luton, terrible ground. Whatever happened to the PL’s opposing fans behind the goals? (It’s not just them either).

Rubbish entrance…. Poor design….. Zero atmosphere…..

Then the football. Turgid, as for those comparing it to Hughton, yes, similar, but we were away FFS at Wolves, not at home…..Under Hughton we tried to attack in that last month (at home) and got whipped by Plucky and Cardiff, Brentford barely attacked…. Still they’ll stay up (like we did), proving it works, get £180m for Toney from Chelsea, and hang about.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Largely agree.

Along with Luton, terrible ground. Whatever happened to the PL’s opposing fans behind the goals? (It’s not just them either).

Rubbish entrance…. Poor design….. Zero atmosphere…..

Then the football. Turgid, as for those comparing it to Hughton, yes, similar, but we were away FFS at Wolves, not at home…..Under Hughton we tried to attack in that last month (at home) and got whipped by Plucky and Cardiff, Brentford barely attacked…. Still they’ll stay up (like we did), proving it works, get £180m for Toney from Chelsea, and hang about.
Dreaming of the day when they can belittle the average fans of an average team who also played shite and never looked like scoring.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
There are far worse teams out there than them. Frank's side have never been the best to watch- they're generally quite direct, and rely heavily on counter attacking and set pieces. But clearly they don't play quite as negatively as they did tonight every week, otherwise that stat of having 31 shots against United would never have happened.

The one thing I can't get my head around is this: I understand going so defensive against a really good opponent, but we haven't been prolific ourselves recently, and we generally concede more goals than other top half sides, so why did Frank not go for it a bit more and try to win that game? That was really strange.

In off-field terms, Brentford are a well run club, with great community outreach, who don't massively outspend their means, and who've made the absolute best of everything they had, including what was really a very unpromising location to build a football stadium. There are clubs I'd far rather went down than them.
I agree with this. I like Brentford being in the Premier League because it pisses people off. They are a club that manages their resources well. Much like us really. They weren't far off a European tour themselves last year and they would have been just as deserving. But their struggles this year are a reminder to us that things don't always go to plan.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I agree with this. I like Brentford being in the Premier League because it pisses people off. They are a club that manages their resources well. Much like us really. They weren't far off a European tour themselves last year and they would have been just as deserving. But their struggles this year are a reminder to us that things don't always go to plan.

I’ve only ever seen us moaning about them, a bit. Haven’t seen a disdain for them from others, I thought they were liked as another ‘Cinderella story’.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here