Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Is there a team more deserving of rotting in League One than Brentford?

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
I don’t mind Brentford. They are generally better to watch than they were last night but they have had an injury crisis which is equal to ours so that affects how they play as well.

I can at least understand why they were that way last night, injuries and overall a smaller club lacking in resources. Better than the likes of Everton who pissed away all their resources and now choose to play Dycheball every week.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Brentford are ok, their fans got on their team's back yesterday, just like we get on ours. They have some great players, Toney, Wissa...and a coach who seems decent.
Why such a mean spirited thread 🤷🏼‍♂️
Because they bored me silly. Luton give it a go but Brentford were time wasting at home from about 15 minutes.

And, frankly, it's a shit ground for a new one. No hot food in the ground at all until someone remembered to cook a batch of sausage rolls and no burger vans or whatnot around either. They didn't even have an alcohol licence in the first year there. Luton seems widely ridiculed for having an away entrance over people's houses but at least they're proper houses. Brentford's away end is through a set of yuppie flats with questionable cladding. No wonder they have all those stewards, you could walk for weeks and not find it. And then when you do get in there you watch 11 players parking the bus, the coach and the articulated lorry and launching long throws.

Not for me, Clive.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Because they bored me silly. Luton give it a go but Brentford were time wasting at home from about 15 minutes.

And, frankly, it's a shit ground for a new one. No hot food in the ground at all until someone remembered to cook a batch of sausage rolls and no burger vans or whatnot around either. They didn't even have an alcohol licence in the first year there. Luton seems widely ridiculed for having an away entrance over people's houses but at least they're proper houses. Brentford's away end is through a set of yuppie flats with questionable cladding. No wonder they have all those stewards, you could walk for weeks and not find it. And then when you do get in there you watch 11 players parking the bus, the coach and the articulated lorry and launching long throws.

Not for me, Clive.
Fair enough! Best give it a miss next year...if they're not relegated 😏

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Interestingly they were happy to attack the hell out of Man Utd.

But the blueprint for playing Brighton is very very different
Is the correct answer.

Teams outside the big boys have blueprints for playing other teams.
Playing ManU = Don't sit back, have a go, they don't like to be attacked.
Playing BHA = Sit back, keep it very tight and look to counter where possible. The biggest complement to our club is that this is also these club's playbook when playing the big boys.

I was slightly surprised that Brentford did this last night though because:
1) They were the home team
2) They have a team which is a little bit similar in style/personnel to Fulham/Wolves/Luton and we don't have a great record at the GTech.
3) We have injuries to key players

They are looking to draw themselves to safety. Long throw ins, in 2024, seriously? IMO Frank would last about 6 months at a 'big' club.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Small club down the bottom scrapping for points to stay up... Frank knows exactly how not to lose against us..

Anyway, re Brentford being boring.. tell that to Wolves in 2020...
He lost against us 2-1 last December.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Brentford just need to get through this season, sell Toney to the highest bidder, rebuild and kick on. I dont blame them for settling for a point in the circumstances.
It's going to have to be a hell of a rebuild. Difficult to look at the malaise around that club last night (not just on the pitch) and see how they can immediately fill the hole that Toney is going to leave - I wouldn't be shocked if Frank also went at some point. Kasper Hjulmand may lose the Denmark job if performances are poor in the Euros (after finishing bottom of a World Cup group with Australia and Tunisia) and Frank is the obvious candidate for that role...

Garyoldfan

Jun 14, 2023
Brentford are ok, their fans got on their team's back yesterday, just like we get on ours. They have some great players, Toney, Wissa...and a coach who seems decent.
Why such a mean spirited thread 🤷🏼‍♂️
That’s Guinness boy I’m afraid. He’s admin so can start these horrible threads.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I like playing Palace. I’d happily never go there again.
Some decent pubs around Brentford's ground which is a great bonus , same could be said for SUFC as well. The beer in the ground as happens pretty much everywhere (bar the amex) is almost frozen and so is totally tasteless.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's going to have to be a hell of a rebuild. Difficult to look at the malaise around that club last night (not just on the pitch) and see how they can immediately fill the hole that Toney is going to leave - I wouldn't be shocked if Frank also went at some point. Kasper Hjulmand may lose the Denmark job if performances are poor in the Euros (after finishing bottom of a World Cup group with Australia and Tunisia) and Frank is the obvious candidate for that role...
This reminds me of the pre-match build-up and, specifically, the announcement of the teams.

The Brentford PA chap seemed to make absolutely no effort to get the crowd going at all, just trotting through their side as if it were a low-key pre-season friendly which the home crowd greeted with the same total lack of enthusiasm.

Strange.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Some decent pubs around Brentford's ground which is a great bonus , same could be said for SUFC as well. The beer in the ground as happens pretty much everywhere (bar the amex) is almost frozen and so is totally tasteless.
I might have suffered from believing the Football Ground Guide when it said arrive at Kew Gardens and pub crawl up but in no way were those pubs decent. The Tap on the Line was dead, The Botanist full of middle class GILFs drinking £12 cocktails and The Cricketers just another dull Fullers pub that probably has a good view in summer.

By the time we got to the Express Tavern, which is a proper football pub, it was full and the wonderful smelling burgers were a 20 minute wait and “cash only mate”. Which was better than the ground which had literally no food at all.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I might have suffered from believing the Football Ground Guide when it said arrive at Kew Gardens and pub crawl up but in no way were those pubs decent. The Tap on the Line was dead, The Botanist full of middle class GILFs drinking £12 cocktails and The Cricketers just another dull Fullers pub that probably has a good view in summer.

By the time we got to the Express Tavern, which is a proper football pub, it was full and the wonderful smelling burgers were a 20 minute wait and “cash only mate”. Which was better than the ground which had literally no food at all.
I went straight to the Express Tavern

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Not for me, Clive.
First world problems, man :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We are playing Arsenal at home later today.

If the half time pie isn't properly hot, I'll swing for someone, so help me.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
First world problems, man :shrug:
It’s just indicative of a really poor attitude/ attention to detail.

It took them a year after the ground opened to get an alcohol licence.

Then no one seems to have thought that some of the fans arriving at 6.45 on the evening after a few beers might want some food, especially given the lack of fan zone / burger vans and especially when the old ground used to have excellent surrounding pubs and food options.

It all just goes to show that Benham is a pound shop Bloom at best and the club an odd pastiche. I bet their CEO doesn’t even have a mustard sweater.

Them parking the bus in front of a load of middle class library dwellers was a lot more annoying though.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It’s just indicative of a really poor attitude/ attention to detail.

It took them a year after the ground opened to get an alcohol licence.

Then no one seems to have thought that some of the fans arriving at 6.45 on the evening after a few beers might want some food, especially given the lack of fan zone / burger vans and especially when the old ground used to have excellent surrounding pubs and food options.

It all just goes to show that Benham is a pound shop Bloom at best and the club an odd pastiche. I bet their CEO doesn’t even have a mustard sweater.
First time there for me. We arrived about an hour before ko, no food available then but they managed to rustle up a bit more about half an hour before ko. Pisspoor planning on their part (but we’re often not much better tbf). Concourse seemed small and badly designed. Thought the stadium bowl was just a bit odd - presumably something to do with planning permission but could have easily been higher capacity but I guess overall they have squeezed what they can into a sub-optimal site/footprint. Quietest home crowd I’ve seen too - although their approach on the pitch wasn’t exactly likely to generate much interest. Easy drive and parking 10 mins walk away was good though :smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here