Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is there a Jonah in the ranks...

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
gary-dicker_02.jpg

In the past 9 league games this man has started in, 10 if you include the West Ham home game, we have won 0. You have to look all the way back to Bristol City away in the first week of September for a win with Mr Dicker in the starting line-up.

I did think that last year he was one of the better players in the side - but he has just been found out at this level. Maybe The Championship is not the place to have the immobile, defensively-flimsy, possession-disposing, liability, that he has become, occupying the centre of the park?

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
I think he's come back too soon from his major injury. A lot of other players would have missed the entire rest of the season after a break like that.

And, after 3 games in a week, he looked a little lacking in the stamina department tonight, despite setting up Calderon's goal.

But, as Gus said he's a player that know's how to play his system

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
Dicker is clearly off the pace whether he knows the system or not, he's been found lacking in the last 3 games. Can't understand why he's been expected to play so much championship football so soon. Not one of the players I would consider keeping at the end of the season.

Very, very poor last night and does not appear to learn from his mistakes - regularly losing the ball in midfield to let opponents set up attacks and expose us at the back.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Why arn't these seriously injured players given 2 or 3 decent games in the reserves to come back up to speed, as has been the case for decades for good reason

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
It hasn't even been so much after he has come back, I thought he was poor in the run-up to the injury as well. The Palace game being a particularly poor showing. The results with him in the starting line-up have just not been those of a team who are going to finish in the play-offs, or even in the top half of the table. The man is a JONAH!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Could it be that Gus has thrown him in to see if he really is good enough for this division and like most of the team that got us promotion they have had their chance and will be on the move.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
Could it be that Gus has thrown him in to see if he really is good enough for this division and like most of the team that got us promotion they have had their chance and will be on the move.

Surely it would be madness in a must win game, like at Burnley, to put someone in the team who you are just testing to see if they are good enough for this division?

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
Sorry but Dicker is not up to it IMO he was off the pace before his injury, gets caught with the ball too often, and has come back even slower than he was before . The player for that position is JFC and I believe if Vicente stays next season these 2 should be in the middle together.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Seagulltonian;4862904 And said:
Well said if not massively understated.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Lol, he has been absolutely shocking since coming back, Painter hasn't been too special either!

And neither should wear the blue and white stripes again. They are simply not up to Championship level. V good League 1 players but that is not what we need now. Harsh, I know, but nonetheless true.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I think the stats you use are unfortunate, but it does seem quite clear to me that there are a couple of players who look a bit out of their depth at this level. Dicker is, unfortunately, one of them, along with Marcos Painter. It's unfortunate, because both looked so good for us in League One, but that is just how it happens.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
12 competitive games since we have won with Dicker in the starting line up.

THROW THE JONAH OVERBOARD.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Seriously, he's had a WHOLE summer to work on this and nothing has changed from the back end of last season, he STILL looks unfit and shockingly slow!!!

Can Gus not see this?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Vicente should be playing in there instead of Dicker.

Absolute waste up front Vicente is, we need him on the ball creating for us.

Im still hoping Mcheachran comes our way to play there, Vicente moves to Barnes roll and CMS back up top.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here