• No - smokers are leppers and dirty

Votes: 54 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
After much deliberation Parliament has gone the whole hog and banned smoking from ALL enclosed places. No lighting up in a pub, restaurant, club and even private members clubs have been hit by a ban. The only place indoors you can have a fag is in your own living room ( for now ).

Now I believe this to be totally over the top and typical of Labour's nanny state whereby they are not happy with medical advice and recommendations they WILL tell you what to do.

What I want to know is why if smoking is the evil of this world and you would think a class A drug why do Labour or any other government just ban the bloody things. Oh I know silly me, its the £ 7 000 000 000 in revenue they get which easily pays for the burden on the NHS incurred by smokers isn't it, fecking hypocrits.

Don't get me wrong EVERYONE know smoking is unhealthy but whilst they are legal there should be choices. Establishments could designate successful smoking and non smoking ares but this will not do and there is this spurious " passive smoking " debate.

Why don't they ban drinking , why don;t they ban off licences, pubs as drinking too much is bad for you, why don;t they ban fast food as being a fat bastard is bad for you, why don;t they ban 4 x 4's as the emisions from these are probably as bad a passive smoking ?.

Where and when will it end ?.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Excellent. Another NSC argument about smoking (it is good though because smoking in public is EVIL)

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I used to think like you but then I went to a place where it is banned already and realised how much of a good idea it is.

Bobby's Gull

DAFT Bint
Jul 6, 2003
Bed
Agree that is over the top and would be more happy if there are smoking and non smoking rooms/areas in places.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
After a year of working there, and trudging out every week since to 'Little Villnius' aka Dublin, the ONLY good thing that shit hole has to contribute to the planet is the smoking ban.

Its a GOOD idea.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Chappers are you now a non smoker ???

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Ex smoker (a long time ago) but feel that there should be designated non smoking and smoking Pubs/Clubs.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
bhaexpress said:
Ex smoker (a long time ago) but feel that there should be designated non smoking and smoking Pubs/Clubs.

Sounds good. They can have the Event and Yates.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Rangdo said:
Sounds good. They can have the Event and Yates.

I'm just trying to be balanced. I don't like pubs party because I don't drink now but mainly because I don't like smoke but as an exsmoker I think its a bit hypocritical to make a fuss about it.

Smokers put more into the exchequer than the NHS takes out to treat the illnesses caused by smoking according FOREST.

As it is smoking is harmful but so is drinking, so are a whole load of sports not to mention obesity. Then we approach the point when we have to consider such mundane activities as driving or crossing the road as things that can harm our health.

Where do you draw the line ?

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

As it happens millions of people like me, with kids will now be able to go to restaurants, cafes and pubs without having to put up with ignorant twats not caring about themselves nor the harm they are causing to everyone else.including people in poor health, OAP's, people with asthma.

Will it kill pubs, why should it, you go there for beer and company not to pollute the atmosphere?

We already have non-smoking in most public buildings, trains, tubes, buses, station forecourts, airports etc

So what's the big deal?

If you want a fag, go to the beer garden or outside the pub and skulk there like all the other idiots who get their minor kicks out of nicotine.

It’s probably the piece of social legislation this Government has introduced and I applaud all Labour, Liberal and Conservatives MP's who voted for it and who reflected the public distain for smoking in public voters.

LC

Last edited:

Eddie the Seagull

Jul 6, 2003
Crowborough
I think it's a tad OTT.

Resturants - Ban smoking

Pubs/Clubs - Have designated areas

I just feel a bit uncomfortable with this nanny state syndrome that we are inheriting from the Yanks.

- CCTV mania
- ID cards
- Litigation madness (i.e suing tobacco & fast food companies)

What next is my concern ???

Highfields Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Bullock Smithy
Rather than civil liberties I look at this argument in terms of health and safety.

Employers have an obligation to ensure that their employees work in an environment that is as safe as can be and take steps to ensure employee safety and health in the workplace. The ban means that those working in pubs and clubs now get the same protection and will no longer have to breathe in harmful smoke as part of their job.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Yes I think it is a bit over the top in a way.

I still want it banned in the seats at ALL football stadium though.

Thats now being thought about - the implications of enclosed OUTDOOR areas, like railway platforms etc..

Last edited:

Eddie the Seagull

Jul 6, 2003
Crowborough
London Calling said:
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

As it happens millions of people like me, with kids will now be able to go to restaurants, cafe's and pubs without having to put up with ignorant twats........

LC

You take your kids to the PUB! :eek:

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
chip said:
If they were really worried about the health implications of pubs, they would ban the alcohol.

Someone drinking in a pub does not directly affect the health of the pub workers and clientelle.

Somebody smoking does.

FACT

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The pub is a completely different kettle of fish to the tube or bus. You go to the pub to relax in your leisure time and for many people its a pint and a fag. I wouldn't dream of lighting up in a restaurant or even at the Withdean in the open air but pubs and clubs could easily have smoking areas , well ventilated without imposing at all on non smokers or offending the very spurious passive smoking campaigners.

It just smacks of over zealousness from " superior " non smokers , intolerance and big brother / nanny state.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here