Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is that it then?

Are we done for the day?

• Total voters

£8 million loss expected.

I repeat.

If we need to use the Bridcutt money to plug that whole we're not really in a position to complain.

I think you can add 50% to that

That's people's expectations for the accounts recently prepared, but they don't cover the current period do they?

No but have a look at some of El Pres's posts on the subject.
A £12M loss for 2012/13 may well be an underestimate, the annual accounts due for publication this March will need, for the first time, to include an annual depreciation charge for the stadium; if this is less than £4M I'd be surprised. This charge will then appear every year for the next 25 I guess, and the depreciation of the training ground is also yet to kick in.

Last edited:

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC

I repeat.

If we need to use the Bridcutt money to plug that hole we're not really in a position to complain. A tinge of disappointment? Yes. Complain about the motives of the club? More fool you. We have a squad that's capable of a top 6 finish, if our injury luck improves we're still in a good position to achieve that. And this isn't a case of being a 'better' fan as some have suggested. It's about not wanting to end up like Pompey.

Where is this 8 million going? I thought we were aiming to be self sustaining, not making the same losses as last year?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I can't believe how negative people are being. Have you forgotten we nearly went out of existence in the relatively recent past.

Bloom ha bankrolled the club and I am pleased we are being sensible. We can't rely on him to bank roll us forever. He has a LONG term plan. If we reach the prem this year then great, if not then maybe next. There are about 12 teams who could realistically go up. In reality I think leics are too good this year and will take one. Qpr are probably out of range too. So in reality we probably have ten teams fighting for one plAce through play offs. Is it worth gambling to try and chase that one place? One will succeed and NINE will fail.

Bloom has decided to run a sensible policy. Good. Many may stretch too far and see it crash down. Look at Pompey.

Ten years ago we came 4th in league one and charlton 7th in prem. we have signed their best player. We are clearly on an upward curve so enjoy it and stop complaining.

Either that it you can chuck millions of pounds of your money down the football drain.

Well said. Posters who moan about ambition are just as bad as Poyet and his moaning. One single guy has bankrolled the club to build a stadium, a training facility, smashed our transfer record (signings) and continues to pay our debts.

If Knight and his book are to be believed and we would have been able to build the new stadium with borrowed money once the economy recovered, we would still be playing at Withdean, without any money and god knows which league. Even at best if the finance had been agreed our player budget would be far far lower than present.

Some need a reality check.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
People really need to relax.

We've made a tidy profit this window by my count and personally I'd rather keep that money aside for the right player than throw it at someone in the vague hope of reaching the Premier League.

The reason we are losing so much money is because of the outlay over the last few years. The only way we are going to plug that hole is either 1) Get to the prem or 2)Wait for contracts to run out or sell the top earners....If we go for the first option then we need to spend money on decent players. If we go for the second, we will level out as a mid table championship side. Which maybe fine by many, but Tony Bloom can kiss goodbye to ever getting a return on any money.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Having CMS back soon and then maybe Hoskins is like signing new players.

If Buckley stays and we can keep him and KLL fit and with the emergence of March, we are not looking at all bad.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
The reason we are losing so much money is because of the outlay over the last few years. The only way we are going to plug that hole is either 1) Get to the prem or 2)Wait for contracts to run out or sell the top earners....If we go for the first option then we need to spend money on decent players. If we go for the second, we will level out as a mid table championship side. Which maybe fine by many, but Tony Bloom can kiss goodbye to ever getting a return on any money.

And a good few thousand season ticket holders, I'd imagine.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Ince can play centre back so maybe we won't buy a replacement for El Abd for now. Ince or Calde can cover until the loan window opens.

No one seems particularly excited at the prospect of signing Baird anyway.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012

And if we try for prem and fail? Is that better?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I would have killed for that a few years ago and right now I'm happy to take it. Of course I'd rather we were steamrollering the division but then I don't think we have a divine right to be challenging at the top. Slowly slowly catchey monkey, we'll get there, of that I have no doubt. We may lose some fans on the way but they'll be back in a flash when we're up near the top of the division imo.

This idea that season tickets sales will fall is being used as a stick to try and beat Bloom into spending even more money, which is a bit sad imo

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Reality is weve signed 2 players. A 2nd Division striker and Dale Stephens - Jury out on both.

We've lost Bridcutt / El Abd / Barnes plus you could argue Conway (I was expecting him back)

If someone had said at the start of the window 'Will you take that on the 31/01' I'd tell them where to ram it. Its not over yet of course but....

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I would have killed for that a few years ago and right now I'm happy to take it. Of course I'd rather we were steamrollering the division but then I don't think we have a divine right to be challenging at the top. Slowly slowly catchey monkey, we'll get there, of that I have no doubt. We may lose some fans on the way but they'll be back in a flash when we're up near the top of the division imo.

I agree to an extent, but the danger is mid-table mediocrity as the saying goes. Inevitably people will get turned off and we will lose season ticket income and then won't be able to pay for better players in any case and could go from mid-table to struggling.

I'm quite surprised Middlesboro, Bolton and Blackburn are still spending when they are in debt and the latter two only having one year of prem money left.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I don't see a solution to our miserable scoring form this season though. We need some attacking intent but ,at the moment, it looks like we are not doing anything about it. We only play 1 striker so adding Rodriguez probably isn't going to make a great difference.

I dont agree with this at all.

Facts are that our defence is one of the best in the league.
We do score but just not enough. It doesnt need over hauling it just needs tweaking.

If Sanchez works out then that is a pacey striker that can play any of the front 3, add to this Stephens who apparently can pick a pass and was mentally ahead of lesser players at Charlton.

No need to even mention CMS coming back.

To me that is tweaking it . We know we wont concede many so we dont need to start being man city, we just need a few more goals here and there and we'll cement top 6.

OG has done that (and its not even midnight yet)

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Reality is weve signed 2 players. A 2nd Division striker and Dale Stephens - Jury out on both.

We've lost Bridcutt / El Abd / Barnes plus you could argue Conway (I was expecting him back)

If someone had said at the start of the window 'Will you take that on the 31/01' I'd tell them where to ram it. Its not over yet of course but....

You're not allowed to post content like that, the blue and white tinted spec brigade will be tracking you down!

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
And a good few thousand season ticket holders, I'd imagine.

I would imagine so. We all know we have been riding the crest of a wave for the last few years. If that wave starts to level out, then the season tickets will start to tumble. David Rodriguez could well turn up and set the world alight (lets hope so) and Stephens at 24 could just be coming into his prime and be a fantastic signing, who runs the midfield for years to come (lets hope so). I'm sure the people who have signed these players know better than we do and we may well go on to finish top 6 and reach the promise land. Sell out every game next season and get £100m straight in the bank....But if that doesn't happen and we finish mid table and the season fizzles out, quite a few people will be asking themselves serious questions, if they can justify the money each month that goes out of their bank accounts.... I for one think we as fans deserve at least one signing that we can get excited about..... Lets hope we have made it and just don't realize yet until we have seen him.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I would imagine so. We all know we have been riding the crest of a wave for the last few years. If that wave starts to level out, then the season tickets will start to tumble. David Rodriguez could well turn up and set the world alight (lets hope so) and Stephens at 24 could just be coming into his prime and be a fantastic signing, who runs the midfield for years to come (lets hope so). I'm sure the people who have signed these players know better than we do and we may well go on to finish top 6 and reach the promise land. Sell out every game next season and get £100m straight in the bank....But if that doesn't happen and we finish mid table and the season fizzles out, quite a few people will be asking themselves serious questions, if they can justify the money each month that goes out of their bank accounts.... I for one think we as fans deserve at least one signing that we can get excited about..... Lets hope we have made it and just don't realize yet until we have seen him.

You'd hope.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells

This idea that season tickets sales will fall is being used as a stick to try and beat Bloom into spending even more money, which is a bit sad imo

You might be happy with it. In fact i'm happy with it. But I doubt the man who has spent well over £100m + is happy with it. Tony Bloom may well be a fan and he may well be loaded. But he is not an idiot. He will want a return on his money one day....The Amex, Lancing, The Hotel...You think he will be happy leveling out as a mid table championship side??? I think not......I repeat again, it will do me as long as i'm not asked to pay prem prices for the experience of watching championship football. Which is what we are doing atm. Ok we don't pay what Arsenal/Chelsea pay, but then we are not watching Ozil or Hazard. We are paying more than some prem clubs though.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
if things did level off to mid championship football , whats wrong with that.

Exciting league , big clubs , proper football. Punching higher than we have historically.

Some people need nappys

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here