[Brighton] Is Portslade any fun?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Unfortunately large parts of London are dire , Croydon one of the worst but much of east London and south London is grim with a few notable exceptions. The nicest parts of London are all sadly super expensive , I’m sure most Londoners would love to live in South Kensington , Hampstead , Mayfair , Chelsea , primrose hill etc but most people can’t afford £4 million plus for a small terraced house

:lolol:

Thanks for the heads up Alan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh-9NNyBipk

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
What Bold Seagull has failed to mention is that The Foghorn has a weird "no Swedish" rule which they enforce regularly with Staffordshire Bull Terriers, baseball bats and big knives.

:moo:

he'll be in your back garden, peering in through the window...............

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Unfortunately large parts of London are dire , Croydon one of the worst but much of east London and south London is grim with a few notable exceptions. The nicest parts of London are all sadly super expensive , I’m sure most Londoners would love to live in South Kensington , Hampstead , Mayfair , Chelsea , primrose hill etc but most people can’t afford £4 million plus for a small terraced house

Not a big fan of big cities generally speaking. Capital cities are usually a lot of stress, a lot of tourists, expensive, high rise buildings of glass and steel, too much movement and too little familiarity. If I go to a pub five times, I want to recognise some faces.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

I beg to differ - London is fantastic. Try Greenwich, Camden, Walthamstow, Islington, Putney, Wandsworth (to name a few of the places either I or our daughters have lived in). Also, I very much like Deptford, Hackney, Tufnell Park....the list goes on. So many great neighbourhoods in London. Obviously pricier than most parts of the UK - but you don't HAVE to live in South Ken.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
This thread has made me unreasonably excited.

Do it, Swanny, do it!

HeavyAshamedBalloonfish-size_restricted.gif

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I beg to differ - London is fantastic. Try Greenwich, Camden, Walthamstow, Islington, Putney, Wandsworth (to name a few of the places either I or our daughters have lived in). Also, I very much like Deptford, Hackney, Tufnell Park....the list goes on. So many great neighbourhoods in London. Obviously pricier than most parts of the UK - but you don't HAVE to live in South Ken.

I've lived in East Dulwich, Golders Green, Angel, Woodside Park, Putney, Southfields and loved them all.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
When I grew up around Portslade I didn’t know much better. In fact it is a dull featureless place and ( as far as I know) the only South Coast Town without a beach . The only benefit is that it is near to Brighton and there used to be frequent buses and trains to take you there.

South west gull

Nov 3, 2021
Hmm... tbf the host families seems to be more spread out, the only thing is that everyone is "within 25 minutes of walk from a bus going to Portslade" so I might not have to live in Portslade itself.

But I get the general impression, behind those careful words, that Portslade may not be fantastic.
Swansman portslade is fine it has a lot of good parks a lot of good people fine pubs and is full of Brighton fans.come & see

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I’m quite surprised that portslade is considered so low down on the where to live pecking order . Given the property prices in the area & im talking specifically around the high street and all the roads off it , it’s got lots of Edwardian houses most not big but big enough for an average buyer on a budget at around 1400-1500 sq feet . Lots of shops ( some useful some not so ) cafes mixed , quick access to portslade railway station , short walk to seafront . Easy to get into central Brighton & very close to central Hove .

For me this area is a far better place to live than Woodingdean , Saltdean , Peacehaven etc as these places all feel very isolated .

I can't speak for others, but I was basing my assessment on Swanny's situation and criteria.

Portslade may well be perfectly fine for bringing up a family, but if I were a single guy in my 30s, moving from Sweden to the land of the South Saxons for a few months study and planning to entertain myself with football, women and bars, I 100% would NOT base myself in Portslade when the delights of Brighton & Hove are available (at a higher cost I accept).

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I assume as you purport to be Swedish, I also assume you will be going to the Swedish School by locks hill?

I assume it is still there as the sign came down a few years ago and I thought it was now an international language school.

I have played badminton there and was served Swedish meatballs by the chef after the game ……yes he really did sound like the chef offa muppets.

We have lived in MO for close on 40 years as it was relatively cheap at the time and close to schools etc. transport links are good. Not too noisy and the yoof in the area tend to hang around the shops and the parks on a night.

Mile oak FC are a great friendly club and if you get tired of the sanitised crap at the amex, it’s well worth popping along. You can bring bottles with tops and flasks full of piping hot soup. In all the years I have watched them, I have never seen a flask or bottle luzzed on the pitch. But don’t tell barber!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Undoubtedly cheaper, but you wouldn't have half the experience IMO.

If I were you, I'd stay somewhere close to, or within this area:

View attachment 143469

Easy bus journey to Portslade (25 mins?), loads of decent local bars and only 10 mins walk into central Brighton.

Pizza from here is EXCELLENT http://www.morellizorelli.co.uk/menu/

The no 25 bus from Palmeira Sq gets you to the Amex on matchdays too.

For all its qualities, Portslade really isn't a great destination for a mature student looking to enjoy football, bars and women. My advice is to do it properly, or keep your powder dry until you can/want to.

This is the best advice so far IMHO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports