Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Is Portslade any fun?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I've heard from British students over here that pizza over there is both quite expensive and usually not very good. Think I'd generally go for more British food if I stayed there a few months, part of the experience is to adapt to the culture.

Exactly; kebabs, curry, all better options for a bit of homegrown British food.:thumbsup:

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Is Portslade any fun?

I have NEVER seen the words Portslade and fun in the same sentence before and frankly I doubt it will ever happen again in my lifetime.

4E929575-01E5-4796-A7E7-13CED4678343.jpeg

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Nope, website says it is almost always cheaper though. £142 per week with one meal a day included with the family (tbf I could probably imagine paying a bit more to be allowed to eat by myself in my room..).
I think a short stay in Portslade for three months and you will never moan about Sweden again. You are coming at just the wrong time, miserable weather, rampant inflation and Brexit biting.....

Oh and our roads will look like The Somme when it comes to potholes... We are allegedly the 5th biggest economy in the world but it won't manifest itself in anything you see in Portslade!

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Nope, website says it is almost always cheaper though. £142 per week with one meal a day included with the family (tbf I could probably imagine paying a bit more to be allowed to eat by myself in my room..).

Undoubtedly cheaper, but you wouldn't have half the experience IMO.

If I were you, I'd stay somewhere close to, or within this area:

Swanny's nest.png

Easy bus journey to Portslade (25 mins?), loads of decent local bars and only 10 mins walk into central Brighton.

Pizza from here is EXCELLENT http://www.morellizorelli.co.uk/menu/

The no 25 bus from Palmeira Sq gets you to the Amex on matchdays too.

For all its qualities, Portslade really isn't a great destination for a mature student looking to enjoy football, bars and women. My advice is to do it properly, or keep your powder dry until you can/want to.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Those flats were part of my paper round in the early 70s :eek:
@<u><a href="https://www.northstandchat.com/member.php?u=38333" target="_blank">Swansman</a></u>, in case you hadn't guessed, GB is trying to put you off, horrified that he might bump into you while he's out on his skateboard, or walking the Doberman.

I lived in Portslade from 1963 till I went to uni in 76, and then on and off (holidays) till 79. My little brother still lives there so I visit from time to time.

The parts north of the Old Shoreham Road are a big lump of 1950s semi detached houses, many with loft extensions, many with the front garden turned into parking spaces for the white van, with a new tranche of 1990s housing to the North, in what were fields when I was a lad. Then there is the Old Village (which has next to nothing in it except the imposing Le Carbone factory which is now flats). Beyond that is Mile Oak, which is just dull housing. Of all of that, the area round East Hill park is OK suburbia, albeit East Hill drive is unattractive former council houses and the road a rat run.

South of the Old Shoreham Road is older, lots of Victorian terraced housing, pokey roads, and then the long shopping street, which has three names depending which part (or even side) you are on: Carlton Terrace; Boundary Road; Station Road - and this divides Portslade from Hove. There is a station there where the likes of me and @<u><a href="https://www.northstandchat.com/member.php?u=37530" target="_blank">monty uk</a></u> would schlep into Brighton in search of elusive flesh pots and excitement.

All in all there were (and probably are) no amenities to speak of. Easthill Park is nice (especially if you a connoisseur of dog shit). There is a good walk up over the downs to the Shephard and Dog pub in Fulking (http://shepherdanddogpub.co.uk/), but it's quite a schlep and I can see you walking back after chucking out time and dying of exposure, dangling where your parka snagged on stray barbed wire fencing. You can walk down Boundry road to get to the sea, and the promenade there is nice (you may well bump into GB there, skateboarding or walking his Doberman).

Would I move back there again? No. Certainly not.

Last edited:

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I've heard from British students over here that pizza over there is both quite expensive and usually not very good. Think I'd generally go for more British food if I stayed there a few months, part of the experience is to adapt to the culture.

The likes of Papa John’s, Domino’s etc are grossly expensive. There’s lots of independents that are far better value and delicious.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Portslade is a bit industrial, but has some nice bits. Brighton and Hove is a short bus ride away. As are Shoreham and the South Downs.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Those flats were part of my paper round in the early 70s :eek:

@<u><a href="https://www.northstandchat.com/member.php?u=38333" target="_blank">Swansman</a></u>, in case you hadn't guessed, GB is trying to put you off, horrified that he might bump into you while he's out on his skateboard, or walking the Doberman.

I lived in Portslade from 1963 till I went to uni in 76, and then on and off (holidays) till 79. My little brother still lives there so I visit from time to time.

The parts north of the Old Shoreham Road are a big lump of 1950s semi detached houses, many with loft extensions, many with the front garden turned into parking spaces for the white van, with a new tranche of 1990s housing to the North, in what were fields when I was a lad. Then there is the Old Village (which has next to nothing in it except the imposing Le Carbone factory which is now flats). Beyond that is Mile Oak, which is just dull housing. Of all of that, the area round East Hill park is OK suburbia, albeit East Hill drive is unattractive former council houses and the road a rat run.

South of the Old Shoreham Road is older, lots of Victorian terraced housing, pokey roads, and then the long shopping street, which has three names depending which part (or even side) you are on: Carlton Terrace; Boundary Road; Station Road - and this divides Portslade from Hove. There is a station there where the likes of me and @<u><a href="https://www.northstandchat.com/member.php?u=37530" target="_blank">monty uk</a></u> would schlep into Brighton in search of elusive flesh pots and excitement.

All in all there were (and probably are) no amenities to speak of. Easthill Park is nice (especially if you a connoisseur of dog shit). There is a good walk up over the downs to the Shephard and Dog pub in Fulking (http://shepherdanddogpub.co.uk/), but it's quite a schlep and I can see you walking back after chucking out time and dying of exposure, dangling where your parka snagged on stray barbed wire fencing. You can walk down Boundry road to get to the sea, and the promenade there is nice (you may well bump into GB there, skateboarding or walking his Doberman).

Would I move back there again? No. Certainly not.

Nice tagging.

Sounds... fun. And yeah I figured that about GB.. .he wants all the bitches to himself, cant deal with a bit of Viking competition.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Get lost....

Portslade is the other side of Hove from Brighton, we are not responsible for Portslade, think of Portslade of a step child of Hove, the one that gets left behind at school, sniffs glue and wears hand me down flares.

Tee Hee . . .I like the fact people I know 'live in Hove' even though they're west of Aldrington station and get the train from Portslade. So very West Hove.
[MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION], if its just digs and a base from where to explore, it'll be fine, IF you smoke that much and can't walk up hills or on the flat without a trailer tanker of oxygen, look elsewhere. :lolol:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
London is far from shit and it would make perfect sense for you to stay in between the two great cities to get the best of both worlds.

I recommend the Croydon area which is beautiful this time of year.

Much of the architecture has renamed untouched for decades and is known locally as the "The Surrey Riviera".

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Nice tagging.

Sounds... fun. And yeah I figured that about GB.. .he wants all the bitches to himself, cant deal with a bit of Viking competition.

Strange - NSC won't let me tag today. I even copied and pasted a tag from another post and it still failed. Perhaps I have been given a tag ban for besmirching someone ???

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
All seems a bit harsh to me and harsh on those who chose to live there.
I lived in Mile Oak and near the village for 24 years and brought my kids up there, both who went to uni, so education was good. PACA has a good Ofsted rating, as do the local junior schools (although Mile Oak primary needs attention). Property prices are reasonable for the area and there is a wide range to choose from. There are a few local pubs that are OK. Like anywhere, there are crap areas (and you need to research this) but areas like Benfield are quite nice and Mile Oak has fairly modern decent housing and some local shops). The high street (Boundary Road) is pretty run down but few people use local shops these days. Large supermarkets are nearby (M&S, Tesco, Sainsburys). Buses are regular and Portslade Station has trains direct to London. Access to major roads is good - A27 and A23.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
[MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION], if its just digs and a base from where to explore, it'll be fine, IF you smoke that much and can't walk up hills or on the flat without a trailer tanker of oxygen, look elsewhere. :lolol:

[MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] Whitehawk is where it is at for you my man....

The Football - Whitehawk :goal:
The weed :smokin:
The lovely ladies :moo: :cheery:
The street drinking :cheers: :drink:
The lively nightlife :guns: :rant: :catfight:
The eating establishments :spam:

I think this is the place for you.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Why don't you lodge in Brighton and travel to Portslade? Easy bus journey. I'm sure one of the NSC collective would be happy to put you up at a special discounted rate! I'd offer you our spare room, but I'm not due what the Monkey would have to say about that:lol::lol:. Seriously, though, great night life, plenty of relaxed young ladies (probably), lots of smoky stuff, Whitehawk FC, BHAFC, easy access to countryside.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
All seems a bit harsh to me and harsh on those who chose to live there.
I lived in Mile Oak and near the village for 24 years and brought my kids up there, both who went to uni, so education was good. PACA has a good Ofsted rating, as do the local junior schools (although Mile Oak primary needs attention). Property prices are reasonable for the area and there is a wide range to choose from. There are a few local pubs that are OK. Like anywhere, there are crap areas (and you need to research this) but areas like Benfield are quite nice and Mile Oak has fairly modern decent housing and some local shops). The high street (Boundary Road) is pretty run down but few people use local shops these days. Large supermarkets are nearby (M&S, Tesco, Sainsburys). Buses are regular and Portslade Station has trains direct to London. Access to major roads is good - A27 and A23.

Well I live here/there and think it’s shit [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I’m quite surprised that portslade is considered so low down on the where to live pecking order . Given the property prices in the area & im talking specifically around the high street and all the roads off it , it’s got lots of Edwardian houses most not big but big enough for an average buyer on a budget at around 1400-1500 sq feet . Lots of shops ( some useful some not so ) cafes mixed , quick access to portslade railway station , short walk to seafront . Easy to get into central Brighton & very close to central Hove .

For me this area is a far better place to live than Woodingdean , Saltdean , Peacehaven etc as these places all feel very isolated .

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I’m quite surprised that portslade is considered so low down on the where to live pecking order . Given the property prices in the area & im talking specifically around the high street and all the roads off it , it’s got lots of Edwardian houses most not big but big enough for an average buyer on a budget at around 1400-1500 sq feet . Lots of shops ( some useful some not so ) cafes mixed , quick access to portslade railway station , short walk to seafront . Easy to get into central Brighton & very close to central Hove .

For me this area is a far better place to live than Woodingdean , Saltdean , Peacehaven etc as these places all feel very isolated .

The only shop worth visiting in Portshitslade is George’s Gems, nice geezer and an Albion fan [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
London is far from shit and it would make perfect sense for you to stay in between the two great cities to get the best of both worlds.

I recommend the Croydon area which is beautiful this time of year.

Much of the architecture has renamed untouched for decades and is known locally as the "The Surrey Riviera".

Unfortunately large parts of London are dire , Croydon one of the worst but much of east London and south London is grim with a few notable exceptions. The nicest parts of London are all sadly super expensive , I’m sure most Londoners would love to live in South Kensington , Hampstead , Mayfair , Chelsea , primrose hill etc but most people can’t afford £4 million plus for a small terraced house

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here