Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is our weakness up front or in defence?

Mark McGhee constantly explains defeats by referring to problems up front. He clearly thinks we aren't scoring enough goals.

But we lose because we are letting goals in. And this season there have been too many errors by the back four. Dare I say that the central defenders, Danny Cullip and Guy Butters, have looked confused at times and have been easily beaten by competent opposition strikers?

We used to have a very solid defence. What's gone wrong? Should we be looking at strengthening the team at the back or at the front?

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
The midfield was supposed to be the problem area.

And it is where we are missing the most players.

The problems in midfield - no cover for the back 4 - are creating problems at the back. The problems up front - no targetman - are creating problems everywhere in the team. It's a shit sandwich and no mistake.

Last edited:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Cullip and Butters don't look good enough for this division. Danny gets beaten far too often and Butters...he is soooo slow. Virgo? Not good enough at this level.

Midfield is currently woeful and our attack is toothless.

I was originally optimistic about this season but now I'm beginning to think we're worse than we were 2 years ago.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Stumpy Tim said:
Midfield is looking really poor it has to be said. Our midfield was better last season with Chippy & Oatway that it this season with Hinsh & Nicholas.

That is true. We started going downhill at Reading when Oatway went off injured.
Chippy was instrumental in a lot of midfield moves.

Cullip and Butters are having to do more because Oatway and Chippy are missing and they are also unsure of Kuipers (whereas they were reasonably confident with Roberts in goal)

Having said that, yes, we are leaking goals but our strikers are not taking advantage of good crosses coming into the area.

Several times last night I watched a player in the box with his back to the goal pass the ball out of the area to try and set up someone else instead of shooting on sight.
How can you score goals when you are not even looking forward?

Spicy2

Aug 12, 2004
London
I think McGhee needs to review the whole team structure. How can we have got so bad from the team which gained promotion. Would we have been able to survive better without any intake of players - I really don't know the answers to any of these questions or others above, and I feel really disappointed that we couldn't have at least won last night's game.:nono:

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
After watching the highlights last night I thought we created quite a bit. Knight looked sharp from what I saw. Currie and Jarrett on the wings also looked lively with some excellent crosses coming in from the former both from dead balls and open play.

Both goals can be put down to the defence, and Harding in particular. Twice he had the chance to clear and he messed up. Felt sorry for Kuipers after making an excellent save only to be let down by his defence. Thought they all looked quite sluggish last night.

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
The defense is definately where the problems lie at the moment and should be top priority. Our midfield and strikers have goals in them but a big centre forward would certainly help but we cannot go on leaking goals like this.

I don't think Kuipers can really be to blame for much so far and I don't think Roberts would have made any difference to the results.

Cullip is making more mistakes than usual but I feel this is partly down to the fact that Butters is so slow that it is leaving Danny with too much work.

Virgo is struggling, but his natural position in central defence rather than on the right - we all know how good he is when he gets his confidence back so why not put him in his favoured position alongside Danny where he will be more comfortable and his pace will help out Danny.

We have Adam El Abd or Adam Hinshelwood to slot comfortably into the right-back slot giving our defense a more balanced feel and more pace than big Guy can offer.

That just leaves a question mark over Harding at left-back. he may have made his England debut but has had some shocking moments so far this season and after watching last nights highlights I have to fault him for both goals. That said the alternative is Kerry :eek: so I think we are just gonna have to stick with young Dan and hope he sorts himself out soon.

. Kuipers/ Roberts
El Abd Cullip Virgo Harding

New York Geezer

Feb 4, 2004
Bermondsey
Basically the same problem we had last time at his level - the bulk of the squad is either not good enough or not yet experienced enough. Players are quicker, both in mind and foot- and consequentially we get punished. And when the odd chance is presented our way we are often not quick enough and sharp enough to seize it. The new players this season are unproven at this level - this could be our undoing as I think we a squad crying out for experience and wise heads. If Danny is creaking a bit, what of the others. And last time we only steadied when proven quality and experience was added.

But this is the reality of following the Albion, and to be honest, generally in this game you get what you deserve.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
London Irish said:
The problems in midfield - no cover for the back 4 - are creating problems at the back.

Point taken, although one could argue that both of Bristol's goals last night had nothing to do with the midfield, rather due to horrendous defending by the back four and an unfortunate slip by Harding after Kuipers great save from the free-header

larus

Kuipers may be a shot stopper, but I don't think he gives confidence to the back four. When something goes wrong he starts throwing his arms about like a windmill, and moaning at everyone. We need Roberts back a.s.a.p.

His positional sense is bad as is his command of his area. There were at lease 2 occasions last night when the defence weren't sure what he wanted/was going to do.

Butters is slow, but he is steady and doesn't flap about. Harding is making a lot of mistakes at the moment. Virgo still thinks he's David Beckham. Cullip looks OK, but not commanding.

Central midfield is our main concern at the moment. Hinshelwood looked lost and Nicolas kept going deept to collect the ball leaving big holes in the center of the park.

Jarrett & Currie I thought played fairly well, but Molonga was never involved. Knight did OK.

It is still early in the season, but you can't imagine the likes of Leeds, Sunderland, West Ham are exactly worried about the prospects of playing us.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Yes, we do have an obvious defensive problem. Butters is being shown up for his lack of speed and Virgo does look out of place on the right, but has undoubted talent.

Personally I would drop Butters on Saturday and move Virgo into the centre to partner Danny with El Abd at right back. I also think we should bring back Kerry to left back and give Harding a run in the reserves to get his confidence back. Kerry played very well against Coventry and will not let us down. Nor is he likely to be making as many schooboy errors as Dan is at the moment.

Midfield will be much improved when Chippie returns and hopefully Rodger. Charlie?? Well, he may be better than Hinsh in that position, but if he's the best we have in that slot we'll struggle.

Up front I agree that we need a target man, but where to find one??

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Its difficult when the spine of our side is still missing.

Roberts, Chippy, Rodger and Oatway need to return sharpish and get back playing together.

This will make life a lot easier for the back four with some protection in front of it.

A target man is still required, the manager knows it tho and im sure is working on something, even Mcphee would be useful at the moment.

How far is he off a comeback ?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
We need a targetman
We need Chippy back (and Rodger would be nice)
We need a Central Defender, I've been saying about an Inigmarsson like one but completley forgetting about Blackwell! Cullip has started off the seasonpoorly and Butters is too slow and will get tired against the fast Div1 strikers.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
Considering we played four across the middle last night, I don't recall our midfield getting many tackles in :glare:

If we're going to play Currie and Jarrett as wide-men, we need a tall bloke at centre-forward to knock it down for the short bloke (Knight or Robinson. We can't play both of them like last night :shootself )

Currie provided plenty of ammunition, but nobody seemed to get anywhere near it :ohmy:

So a big forward to assist in the scoring department, and more confident defence might turn our season around. Here's hoping:clap:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I said it after the Reading defeat and get slated by everybody the two men in the defence that are not performing are Cullip and Kuipers.

Kuipers does not command his box and so consequently the back four are in a muddle and not sure when to pass and when to clear the ball.

Cullips heading is poor to say the least and his distribution is appalling with virtually every ball being scooped 50ft in the sky.

The return of Carpenter will undoubtedly protect the back four once he is fit.

I would make a decision on Blackwell, Rodgers Hammond Lee Beck and Piercey as to whether they will ever be goood enough for us again and if not pay them up and release them to enable us to have more money to spend on wages to bring in a couple of players.

As I stated on another thread we have too many players who are good enough and similar enough to be squad players but not enough who can walk straight into the team.

In the immediate future i.e Saturday I would play the following team:

Roberts (if fit) Kuipers

Hinshlewood
Cullip
Virgo
Butters
Harding

Currie
Nicholas
Reid
Jarrett

Knight

With Hinshlewood and Harding pushing forward as wing backs thus allowing Currie and Jarrett to push forward and support Knight.

We would also have a solid defence and may stop conceeding goals until we do this we will struggle and consequently continue losing.

In the long term if finances permit replace Cullip and Butters, is there a Simon Morgan about anywhere, and get a target man.

Last edited:

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Surely we cant afford to strengthen the back when we've already got Cullip,Butters,Virgo,Harding,Hinshelwood,Mayo,El-abd, Blackwell & Watson already on the payroll.
Why was Iwelumo not re-signed when we couldn't get anyone better in?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here