Is our weakness up front or in defence?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Don Tmatter said:
Surely we cant afford to strengthen the back when we've already got Cullip,Butters,Virgo,Harding,Hinshelwood,Mayo,El-abd, Blackwell & Watson already on the payroll.

Exactly what I said about squad players:

Mayo, Blackwell Watson release all three if we can afford to pay them up.

Why do we have Jones AND Mayo both can play play at full back or in midfield so why not release one of them.

Midfield;

Currie, Oatway Reid, Carpenter, Nicholas, Rodgers, Hart, Jarrett

That is pick 4 from 8 with 4 back ups why so many?

Forwards

Knight Molango Robinson McPhee ok you need 4 strikers.

I would release 3 defenders and two midfield.

Last edited:

ShorehamGull

He's now back
Jul 6, 2003
Shoreham of course
Give El Abd a chance at right back instead of Virgo, Put Virgo alongside Cullip in the center, keep Harding at left back.
Hopefully Chippy will be back soon, so that will help the things alittle.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
I'm not sure how anyone can slate the midfiled? In the first 20 minutes they were great. Then after that we decided to by-pass them for the rest of the game. I'm not sure I can blame the strikers either, although I do share Yorkie's view that they were more interested in passing the responsibility that having a shot. This smack of no confidence to me. There is no point in continually putting in loads of crosses to a 5' 4" striker and a 6' striker that can't head a ball. Our best bet is to use Hinsh and Nicolas to spread the ball about a bit and look for the balls on the deck for Knight and Molango to run onto.

I would however like to see the midfield push forward more when we have the ball in their half. So often Jarret or Currie has the ball on the wing and he only player in the middle is Knight with Molango behind him. Hinsh and/or Nicolas should be waiting (scholes stylee) on the edge of the box.

Butters and Cullip have been having a nightmare all season but they have been working damn har d and Butter's pace isn't the best. What we need to do is keep hold of posession more. This is achieved by Cullip and Butters giving the ball to midfield rather than hooking to ball back to the opposition. They are putting themselves under pressure!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
There were two or three times when there was a melee in the penalty area when a shot could have been slotted past their keeper and what did players do?

They were playing with their back to the net and passing it out to players outside of the box.

I kept yelling shoot. To no avail. We are not trying to make the most of every opportunity.

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
Generally the midfield has been weak for the past couple of seasons. It was our problem last time we were in this division and was only really solved when we got players on loan such as Sidwell. I have only seen the Reading game this season but saw enough there to know that we will struggle unless we have four or five players in that part of the team that all play well at the same time.

Last season we had only 2 or 3 playing well in each game, with the other two inept/inert. At this level we cannot afford to carry anyone

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
We only had Sidwell for 2 months. We coped from January onwards without him. Rodger was in the midfield then with Chippy Oatway etc

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Yorkie said:
There were two or three times when there was a melee in the penalty area when a shot could have been slotted past their keeper and what did players do?

They were playing with their back to the net and passing it out to players outside of the box.

I kept yelling shoot. To no avail. We are not trying to make the most of every opportunity.

Really? According to London Irish we bearly created a chance with our 'pretty looking yet totally uneffective' passing game?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Lammy said:
Really? According to London Irish we bearly created a chance with our 'pretty looking yet totally uneffective' passing game?

I can only type what I saw last night. I cannot answer for someone elses view of the game.

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
The midfield in my opinion are not tackling back, hence resulting in a weaker defence. I beleive we need an experienced defensive central midfielder to sit in front of Cullip and Butters.
Someone like say - Roy Keane.
That was a joke btw.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Desert Orchid said:
Both are under contract. Jones had a clause in his previous contract that meant he was guaranteed another one if he played enough games ???

Would it not be cheaper to sort out a financial settlement for some of the 'squad' players and then release them thus releasing some funds for wages for fewer but better players. I would uggest a mjor clearout in October i.e Lee Hammond Beck Rodger Blackwell Mayo or Jones Hart Watson to name just a few.

BensGrandad said:
Would it not be cheaper to sort out a financial settlement for some of the 'squad' players and then release them thus releasing some funds for wages for fewer but better players. I would uggest a mjor clearout in October i.e Lee Hammond Beck Rodger Blackwell Mayo or Jones Hart Watson to name just a few.

Why on earth would they accept anything other than their contractual entitlements?

McGhee is pruning the squad but doing so as quickly as contracts allow him to. Be grateful for that.

Can I just remind people arguing for Virgo at central defence of what happened when he played there when Cullip was injured last season? It was not good.

If he's not quick in thought and brain to cope with the defined defensive space at right back, he will be roasted in the open spaces of central defence.

I would plead for a little more patience for Cullip and Butters, numbers one and two best players last season said the fans.

The truth is, none of the back 4 who played so superbly last season have looked good this year.

What does this tell you? The problems elsewhere in the team are exposing them.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Last season we got away with playing two players at full back who are not true full backs. This year we are going to get found out big time down the wings. Harding even said last season his best position is left midfield.

Also up front I would rest Molango who may have potential for future seasons but looks decidedly out of his depth and does nothing in the air.

Until a big striker is signed I would play Jake & Leon up front.

PS - Is'nt it about time we started our team strengthening at the end of the previous season, rather than bringing all our new additions in with a little over a week before the start of the new one ?

On a positive note - I really think Jarrett could become a real asset over time. Even if he does over play a bit he looks the best of the new additions in my opinion.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
London Irish said:
Why on earth would they accept anything other than their contractual entitlements?

McGhee is pruning the squad but doing so as quickly as contracts allow him to. Be grateful for that.

Would they not be prepared to have a smaller lump sum now rather than spread over 12 months and then find another club e.g Leyton Orient /Brentford or similar and play first team football plus earn a further wage to offset their losses on their contract?

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
I would say we look weaker in defence. That said I don’t think there should be wholesale changes. I don’t think we have any better defenders than the ones that are starting at the moment. Last season we looked solid defensively, and although we have stepped up a division I do believe ultimately we will be able to cope better than we are now.

Form and confidence are hampering our ability to defend. Once the defenders get their form back, confidence should come back too and then we should be able to pick up some clean sheets.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Exiled in Exeter said:
I would say we look weaker in defence. That said I don’t think there should be wholesale changes. I don’t think we have any better defenders than the ones that are starting at the moment. Last season we looked solid defensively, and although we have stepped up a division I do believe ultimately we will be able to cope better than we are now.

Form and confidence are hampering our ability to defend. Once the defenders get their form back, confidence should come back too and then we should be able to pick up some clean sheets.

All will be ok when Roberts and Carpenter return.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports