Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
That sounds promising. I'd rather see us going for young potential to develop. Far more exciting than big money mediocre players.
I'm guessing this means Orlandi, Lopez, PIG, Bruno, Buckley and even Ulloa could be on their way out?

No need to worry our recruitment's been excellent since Burke took over.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
cant see teams coming down with parachute payments wanting to hand anything over.....

it is all one big con just like politics, the rich keep their wealth and never want to share it....

In terms of wealth we are a middle class club.
This is just daft, so clubs get rewarded for getting relegated and those wanting to trade within the laws have a reduced chance of competing due to playing budget and probably smaller playing squads.

Sometimes (ok often) I hate football, never a level playing field due to money. The gulf between Premier and Football League is just going to grow and grow.

If this is the case you can see why managers want to move out of the Football League or just move on to cash rich clubs and buy success.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Daily Mail reporter v unnamed sponsor, too much of a credible rumour than someone who spoke to someone who spoke to someone who once sponsored Doug Lofts shirt

Your argument has fallen down within the first three words there.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
This is just daft, so clubs get rewarded for getting relegated and those wanting to trade within the laws have a reduced chance of competing due to playing budget and probably smaller playing squads.

Sometimes (ok often) I hate football, never a level playing field due to money. The gulf between Premier and Football League is just going to grow and grow.

If this is the case you can see why managers want to move out of the Football League or just move on to cash rich clubs and buy success.

replicates real life i guess.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Had a very interesting conversation last night with someone who has been involved with the club in various capacities for the past 20 years (mainly as a club sponsor) will pass on what he told me...

Basically Bloom has instructed Barber and Burke to pretty much take over control of player recruitment, contract negotiations and the whole scouting network at the club, Bloom wanted a total change in the way that the club was structured and basically tasked Burke with 'cleaning up after Gus' part of that was to dispose of the players that were pro Gus (and verbally pro Gus) and at the same time ensure that the club progressed youngsters through both the academy and U21 setups, hence the progression and transition of the likes of Ince and March.

He also informed me that there will be significant changes in the summer, both within the structure of the club and also in terms of the playing squad, expect to see more of the players inherited by Gus to depart and expect to see further progression from the youth setup and increased investment in bringing in younger players to the club but within the development squad initially.

Oscar was fully aware of Blooms intentions prior to taking on the role of head coach and was also aware of the clubs long term commitment to FFP, he bought into developing the younger players and progressing them through the club and also accepted the days of spending 3 million on a player (CMS) was not in the clubs short term plans (driven by Gus under the old structure) and that whilst investment was still available and the playing budget actually increased, the clubs priority was to have the club on a steady footing financially but also to remain competitive on the pitch.

He was adamant that Bloom will not gamble with the clubs future, he won’t gamble on promotion by spending beyond the clubs means and Bloom is very much looking at the long term goal and development of the club at every level, ensuring the club is 'Premier League Ready' and setup to sustain that level rather than experience it and suffer as a consequence of it.

Finally, despite what you read in the press, Oscar is exceptionally happy at Brighton, he and his family are settled and enjoy life in England, he is very much part of the long term plan and understands his role within the clubs structure, expect to see big changes in the summer, Oscars influence grow in time but at present the focus is 'moving on from Gus' and that’s why Burke and Barber are heavily involved in the mandate given out by Bloom.

In Bloom I trust and in Oscar I believe.......

This scenario sounds far more likely that others I have read on here and fits in with what we have heard of TB's vision. I hope that it is true....

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Daily Mail reporter v unnamed sponsor, too much of a credible rumour than someone who spoke to someone who spoke to someone who once sponsored Doug Lofts shirt

If the sponsor has spoken to somebody at the club about the clubs strategy, that's likely not a secret at all. It's just that most of us don't get the chance to speak with people in the know. Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

The Daily Mail aren't exactly carrying the torch for cutting edge journalism are they?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I wouldn't think LuaLua will be here next season.

I think he will - the club have an option to extend his deal by a year. Also, OG clearly rates him; since his return from that op, he's nearly always been the go to man on 60-70 mins to run at tiring defenders.

Hope to see him start a few more games now. Maybe they were just protecting him from further injury.

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
This scenario sounds far more likely that others I have read on here and fits in with what we have heard of TB's vision. I hope that it is true....

I agree and I really want it to be true . I am a bit concerned about shipping out some of the 'so called ' Gus players . Calde, CMS , Lua Lua , Crofts ?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Had a very interesting conversation last night with someone who has been involved with the club in various capacities for the past 20 years (mainly as a club sponsor) will pass on what he told me...

Basically Bloom has instructed Barber and Burke to pretty much take over control of player recruitment, contract negotiations and the whole scouting network at the club, Bloom wanted a total change in the way that the club was structured and basically tasked Burke with 'cleaning up after Gus' part of that was to dispose of the players that were pro Gus (and verbally pro Gus) and at the same time ensure that the club progressed youngsters through both the academy and U21 setups, hence the progression and transition of the likes of Ince and March.

He also informed me that there will be significant changes in the summer, both within the structure of the club and also in terms of the playing squad, expect to see more of the players inherited by Gus to depart and expect to see further progression from the youth setup and increased investment in bringing in younger players to the club but within the development squad initially.

Oscar was fully aware of Blooms intentions prior to taking on the role of head coach and was also aware of the clubs long term commitment to FFP, he bought into developing the younger players and progressing them through the club and also accepted the days of spending 3 million on a player (CMS) was not in the clubs short term plans (driven by Gus under the old structure) and that whilst investment was still available and the playing budget actually increased, the clubs priority was to have the club on a steady footing financially but also to remain competitive on the pitch.

He was adamant that Bloom will not gamble with the clubs future, he won’t gamble on promotion by spending beyond the clubs means and Bloom is very much looking at the long term goal and development of the club at every level, ensuring the club is 'Premier League Ready' and setup to sustain that level rather than experience it and suffer as a consequence of it.

Finally, despite what you read in the press, Oscar is exceptionally happy at Brighton, he and his family are settled and enjoy life in England, he is very much part of the long term plan and understands his role within the clubs structure, expect to see big changes in the summer, Oscars influence grow in time but at present the focus is 'moving on from Gus' and that’s why Burke and Barber are heavily involved in the mandate given out by Bloom.

The most heartening post I've read on NSC in a long time. The future of this club lies in developing our own players and bringing young players in. The occasional older head on loan or a shortish contract excepted.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Well, who knows.

If any PL club came in for him, I expect it would take a lot to keep him here. I wouldn't blame him for trying to further his career.

I'd be surprised if this wasn't a case of 2+2=5 on the part of journalists taking a soundbite and exploding it into something far greater though. OG has only limited experience as a manager, it's his first season in England and to be fair he's done well (in my eyes at least) but not set the world on fire. Would be a bit surprised to find PL clubs were considering him above many other more qualified candidates around.

Guess we'll see. Hopefully he can help nail us that play-off spot.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

This is all well and good to a point. However what happens if we DO go up this season? I can't think there are many in the DS who are Premier League ready. In fact, of the current crop I'd stick my neck out and say Ince could just about cope and that's it. JFC is League One standard at best. March? The jury's out. Certainly a prospect but inconsistent, unsurprising given age and experience. Dunk I would say is already part of the 1st team though I couldn't see him starting regularly in the Premier League.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
This is all well and good to a point. However what happens if we DO go up this season? I can't think there are many in the DS who are Premier League ready. In fact, of the current crop I'd stick my neck out and say Ince could just about cope and that's it. JFC is League One standard at best. March? The jury's out. Certainly a prospect but inconsistent, unsurprising given age and experience. Dunk I would say is already part of the 1st team though I couldn't see him starting regularly in the Premier League.

I kind of hoped we had got over this league one standard/lower championship standard player crap, it is utter nonsense, just ask the captain at lower league Bournemouth, or his sidekick.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
As I understand it, Oscar is happy here, as is his family.

Source? His wife.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I kind of hoped we had got over this league one standard/lower championship standard player crap, it is utter nonsense, just ask the captain at lower league Bournemouth, or his sidekick.

Or the two players not good enough for us at table topping Leicester. Or League One striker playing for Burnley (along with the defender who wasn't good enough for us a few months ago).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports