Is old beer safe to drink?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

de la zouch

Jul 12, 2007
They will be fine, beer did not have bb dates until the EU decided they should c 10 years ago. The taste will sometimes alter but they will not cause you any harm.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Old beer is never safe to drink.

Down your pint in one,and buy another fresh one.

Continue in this way until your lights go out.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
The missus very kindly bought me a bottle of ale today for me to sup tonight when she's out. This reminded me of the other bottles I have gathering dust in the drinks cupboard (being a sophisticated soul I normally knock back the vino). However, this is what I found:

Ballards Nyewood Gold - best before Feb 2005
Hogs Back Wobble in a bottle - BB Feb 2008
Arundel Sussex Gold - BB Sep 2010 and...
Goldminer (from Coop) - BB unknown...

Are this safe to drink or should i just pour them down the sink?

I unwittingly gave my brother an out of date a can of beer and he was violently ill for a few days. :sick:Beer was about 4 years old. Poured all my other old beer down the sink. Think it cleared the drains alright.

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
Beer usually just keeps fementing if left alone. So will get stronger in alcohol content. Bottled ales are less likely to go off/sour than their canned counterparts. So usually are ok.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Beer usually just keeps fementing if left alone. So will get stronger in alcohol content. Bottled ales are less likely to go off/sour than their canned counterparts. So usually are ok.

Canned beer does not taste as good as bottled to me so never drink it,can`t understand why anyone would

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
Thats because the tin content of the can taints the taste of the beer in the can. Glass dosent taint the beer. Hence as you say bottled beer will always taste the better of the two

Flavor Flav

Get those trousers off!
Jul 5, 2008
West Sussex
There's an offie near where I live that sells out of date alcohol. Some of the beer smells a tad different but I've never had any problems on it.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Well, so far I've bottled it, ha ha ha. Seriously, I opened the new bottle the missus gave me (Fran's Hot Chilli Beer) and figured I may be spending time on the great white throne anyway, so (from a purely scientific perspective, you understand) I decided if I were to open one of the old ones, I might not know if it were the chilli beer wreaking its revenge....

However, to answer some of the questions in this thread (not that I feel the need to justify my actions, or more to the point, inaction), the reason why they're so out of date is that I rarely drink beer, mainly stick to the wine (gotta be Italian - they've been making it for over two and half thousand years, so figure they know what they're doing). So, I get given a bottle of beer, thank you, goes in the cupboard with the intention of drinkage, but really, one bottle of beer? That's not an evening....so I wait...years...get another one...rinse and repeat. Now, if my friends and family coordinated, then it'd be a different story, I tell you.

I digress. Point is, I will open them, next time home alone (probably later this week actually), so will post results as this thread has become quite interesting, at least it has to me. :)

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
How can anyone leave beer for so long that it goes out of date :shrug:

In my case it was cans left over after a party. I don't like the beer that was in the cans so they just seemed to hang around. When I offered my brother the beer, one he did like, didn't think about the date. Think he has forgiven me now though.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Well, for what it's worth, here's what's happened:

Ballards Nyewood Gold - fizzed up a treat, as if I'd shaken it. Smelled...ok-ish, had a few sips, but it tasted a bit...musty? Decided not to risk it - down the sink.
Wobble In a Bottle - seemed a much flatter beer, but looked murky, smelt a little, so followed the Gold
Sussex Gold - opened fine and had that water vapour/co2 come off it, smelt fine and tasted fine.
The Coop beer - ditto Sussex Gold - guessing it's not as old even though i can't find a BBE on it.

2 out of 4 ain't bad - better than our penalty conversion rate anyway :p

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports