Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is old beer safe to drink?

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
The missus very kindly bought me a bottle of ale today for me to sup tonight when she's out. This reminded me of the other bottles I have gathering dust in the drinks cupboard (being a sophisticated soul I normally knock back the vino). However, this is what I found:

Ballards Nyewood Gold - best before Feb 2005
Hogs Back Wobble in a bottle - BB Feb 2008
Arundel Sussex Gold - BB Sep 2010 and...
Goldminer (from Coop) - BB unknown...

Are this safe to drink or should i just pour them down the sink?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The missus very kindly bought me a bottle of ale today for me to sup tonight

I have left it as long as 60minutes before.......it should be ok .

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Just open them and I promise that a quick sniff will tell you all you want to know but odds strongly against.

Worth a try though. :lolol: Good luck :thumbsup:

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Surely the alcohol will crystallize, and make it more potent?! I had a bottle of Wadworth Millenium Ale a couple of years ago (BBE December 2000), and it was like cough syrup. Didn't do me, or my regulars any harm, although EHO may have had something to say about offering up 10 year old hooch to my locals - but I didn't charge them, which was nice of me :D

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
Had kronenburg that was 2011, tasted a little off but safe to drink....would 100% smell or sample taste, failing that, not as if the stuff is worth much! Man up and buy some more

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Watney's from 1969. Is that safe to drink?

D

Deleted member 18477

Seems a bit old for me. I'd say a year is ok though.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
When visiting an elderly uncle he offered me a beer, it had obviously been sitting in his cupboard for some time, he put it in a glass for me with ice. It looked OK, still had fizz, but it tasted wrong. I felt bad saying anything, so I drank it anyway. I had the serious shits for the next few days.

I had an elderly uncle like that. Was never sure if it was the beers that gave me the shits

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
My mum and dad do that, leaving beer they don't drink in the cupboard, then offering it to me when i go over. After the first couple of times of having the shits, I decided to check the dates on the beers next time over. They were serving me 1 year out of date Becks, which had progressively got older. Cheers then......

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I got a bottle of Old Thumper last Christmas.
I was to scared to drink it then.

It scares me $hitless now :lol:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I had a bottle of bulmers that I didn't realise was 8 months out of date. Tasted the same, but was definitely more potent.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Don't stray too far from the bog and you'll be fine* :thumbsup:

*This does not constitute medical advice and the poster shall not be held responsible for any possible side effects of drinking out of date beer

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
There is no hard and fast answer to this sometimes its ok sometimes not but what I will say is if it isn't you are going to spend ages sitting on the white throne.

Wally Gould

Jul 10, 2011
When visiting an elderly uncle he offered me a beer, it had obviously been sitting in his cupboard for some time, he put it in a glass for me with ice. It looked OK, still had fizz, but it tasted wrong. I felt bad saying anything, so I drank it anyway. I had the serious shits for the next few days.
Probably the ice! Old water in the tap!

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
The missus very kindly bought me a bottle of ale today for me to sup tonight when she's out. This reminded me of the other bottles I have gathering dust in the drinks cupboard (being a sophisticated soul I normally knock back the vino). However, this is what I found:

Ballards Nyewood Gold - best before Feb 2005
Hogs Back Wobble in a bottle - BB Feb 2008
Arundel Sussex Gold - BB Sep 2010 and...
Goldminer (from Coop) - BB unknown...

If they are bottle conditioned and strong, then they can be good for up to 25 years. Ballards Wassail from 2005 could be interesting, less sure about Nyewood Gold though, or in fact any on this list really.

Harveys Russian Imperial Stout is my favourite lay down beer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here