Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is Mr Potter, Chris Hughton II...

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Some people are totally delusional with where they think we should be finishing in the league at times or who we should be beating.

11 points clear of the drop or whatever it is with 8 games to go... get a grip people.

And up until the last 5 games we have been magnificent. Like out of this world really with the budgets we are up against.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Some people are totally delusional with where they think we should be finishing in the league at times or who we should be beating.

11 points clear of the drop or whatever it is with 8 games to go... get a grip people.

And up until the last 5 games we have been magnificent. Like out of this world really with the budgets we are up against.

Yet you can't see the contradiction between sentence 1 and sentence 3.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

And largely shit from Oct to Dec.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
And largely shit from Oct to Dec.

Didn't really start the season well either.

When the team has been good, blimey Charlie, they have been magnificent.

But Christ on a bike you can't call people out for being delusional and in the same breath call the majority of this season magnificent

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Didn't really start the season well either.

When the team has been good, blimey Charlie, they have been magnificent.

But Christ on a bike you can't call people out for being delusional and in the same breath call the majority of this season magnificent

I still think we have been magnificent though. Only seen 4 games live of which Watford and Arsenal home and Man U were in that category and Burnley away was just decent. I hear we played the likes of Leeds off the park before Christmas although I was busy elsewhere. It’s only recently that performance has dropped from magnificent. Overall I have enjoyed this season and am just sad that I can’t watch more live games. Perhaps it is my non attendance that frames my viewpoint ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I still think we have been magnificent though. Only seen 4 games live of which Watford and Arsenal home and Man U were in that category and Burnley away was just decent. I hear we played the likes of Leeds off the park before Christmas although I was busy elsewhere. It’s only recently that performance has dropped from magnificent. Overall I have enjoyed this season and am just sad that I can’t watch more live games. Perhaps it is my non attendance that frames my viewpoint ?

I can't even remember Arsenal at home.
Utd was predictable and very much part of this 'rot'.
Burnley - no chance, you're (correctly) remembering the last 30 mins, not the previous hour.
The team has played 150 minutes of appalling football v Burnley, this season.

When using the word magnificent my memory is instantly taken to the second half at Anfield, both Chelsea's and that's about it.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I can't even remember Arsenal at home.
Utd was predictable and very much part of this 'rot'.
Burnley - no chance, you're (correctly) remembering the last 30 mins, not the previous hour.
The team has played 150 minutes of appalling football v Burnley, this season.

When using the word magnificent my memory is instantly taken to the second half at Anfield, both Chelsea's and that's about it.

Arsenal at home was the best I have ever seen us play in a 0-0. I am aware that could be Potter’s epitaph and ultimately it may not be enough but I really enjoyed that game.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Arsenal at home was the best I have ever seen us play in a 0-0. I am aware that could be Potter’s epitaph and ultimately it may not be enough but I really enjoyed that game.

It's so frustrating, when 'it' happens even the disciples undersell the achievement of the manager his staff and the players.

From me at least:-

There's no delusion.
There's no expectations.
No 'Top 10' or bust.

But if you can collectively do THAT for 45 minutes at Anfield, Shirley you can get a shot on target, at home.

This has always been about raising the expectations and crucially is that even possible?
Are all Albion Premier League managers doomed to not fail bad enough but not quite succeed, either?

As I keep saying in this thread there's certainly no 'sticking the boot into Hughton'.
TBH when I do read classless comments about him, I struggle to take the author seriously.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
How many managers do we have to go through in the PL before the fans look at the wage bill being 16th at best in the league and the recruitment shambles before we realise it's a bit of a deeper problem than just the manager?

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
How many managers do we have to go through in the PL before the fans look at the wage bill being 16th at best in the league and the recruitment shambles before we realise it's a bit of a deeper problem than just the manager?

2 in nearly 5 seasons. We are hardly Watford.

Even Brighton are allowed to over achieve. Potter has got us a position in the league table that reflects our wage bill. This would indicate that he is doing an average job. Why do a lot of fans say that he is a genius, we are lucky to have him and that he would only leave for a top four club?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
2 in nearly 5 seasons. We are hardly Watford.

Even Brighton are allowed to over achieve. Potter has got us a position in the league table that reflects our wage bill. This would indicate that he is doing an average job. Why do a lot of fans say that he is a genius, we are lucky to have him and that he would only leave for a top four club?

Because it was true - up until January when the club took a horribly short term view for a bit of cash and sold our in form CB and we've lost every game since.

How many other PL teams sold 2 of their defenders with 76 appearances between them in the last 1.5 Seasons and got better?

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
You don't have to be a massive Negative Norris to agree that six losses in a row, zero shots on target etc is not good enough.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Because it was true - up until January when the club took a horribly short term view for a bit of cash and sold our in form CB and we've lost every game since.

How many other PL teams sold 2 of their defenders with 76 appearances between them in the last 1.5 Seasons and got better?

Burn was only used a a bit part player by potter this season. Only filling in due to injuries to other players.

Burn only featured in 2 of our 7 wins this season. Him being sold should not be the reason we are in the mess we currently find ourselves in.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Burn was only used a a bit part player by potter this season. Only filling in due to injuries to other players.

Burn only featured in 2 of our 7 wins this season. Him being sold should not be the reason we are in the mess we currently find ourselves in.

I was of this opinion and agreed with the sale at the time but whether it is mental, impact on the dressing room or whatever, but we now have a lack of options to play the formation for when we were doing well and are leaking goals. It is not a coincidence.

How many draws did we have with Dan Burn vs how many since he left?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I was of this opinion and agreed with the sale at the time but whether it is mental, impact on the dressing room or whatever, but we now have a lack of options to play the formation for when we were doing well and are leaking goals. It is not a coincidence.

How many draws did we have with Dan Burn vs how many since he left?

Plus, my eyes tell me we were a better team with him than without him

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here