Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is Mr Potter, Chris Hughton II...

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Potter only played Burn 13 times from the start of the season until the end of Jan. This may suggest that Potter was not as keen on him as you are.

I think you want to have a look at this..... he was injured for 6 games. And was involved in all but 4 games he was available for. So he played 13 times, didn't play 4 times. Sounds like he was quite 'keen'

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Shirley budget in comparison to the rest of the teams in the league at the time we were in them should come into this debate.

I haven’t looked it up but in the championship era I am pretty sure we had a top 10 budget

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I think you want to have a look at this..... he was injured for 6 games. And was involved in all but 4 games he was available for. So he played 13 times, didn't play 4 times. Sounds like he was quite 'keen'

It is interesting how people misrepresent statistics as facts when they have been skewed out of context isn’t it ?Similar happened when someone was making claims about Wolves’ strikers.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Shirley budget in comparison to the rest of the teams in the league at the time we were in them should come into this debate.

I haven’t looked it up but in the championship era I am pretty sure we had a top 10 budget

When we got promoted in second place, much later on I looked at the 2016/17 accounts of Championship clubs. Excluding the post-promotion wages bonuses paid to everyone at the club, from memory our payroll cost was the 6th highest.

With clubs such as Newcastle, Villa, Derby, Massive and many others with parachute payments, all having massively outspent us on their squad costs.

Coming second a great achievement by CH and PW.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I still think we have been magnificent though. Only seen 4 games live of which Watford and Arsenal home and Man U were in that category and Burnley away was just decent. I hear we played the likes of Leeds off the park before Christmas although I was busy elsewhere. It’s only recently that performance has dropped from magnificent. Overall I have enjoyed this season and am just sad that I can’t watch more live games. Perhaps it is my non attendance that frames my viewpoint ?

I've seen about 18 or 20 games in-person (and the remainder on a screen), and don't think we've been that brilliant this season. We actually played better last season for me, but we've manage to eke out more results, and have been more resilient, up until the last 5.5 games.
Are you actually saying that you've only seen us play for 90 minutes four times and, on that basis, that we've been magnificent? If so, surely reserving judgment might be the better option; if not, apologies for drawing the wrong implication.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I've seen about 18 or 20 games in-person (and the remainder on a screen), and don't think we've been that brilliant this season. We actually played better last season for me, but we've manage to eke out more results, and have been more resilient, up until the last 5.5 games.
Are you actually saying that you've only seen us play for 90 minutes four times and, on that basis, that we've been magnificent? If so, surely reserving judgment might be the better option; if not, apologies for drawing the wrong implication.

No, I have seen all the Sky and BT matches as well. My view is therefore based mainly on watching the tv which limits its usefulness/validity.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Because it was true - up until January when the club took a horribly short term view for a bit of cash and sold our in form CB and we've lost every game since.

How many other PL teams sold 2 of their defenders with 76 appearances between them in the last 1.5 Seasons and got better?

Well, I think the opposite. It wasn't a short-term decision; if it was about the short-term, we would have kept him. It was a long-term decision based on at least the following:
-- Burn had 18 months left on his contract, and we were offered £13m/£15m for our 3rd or 4th best CB
-- we had enough points at the end of the transfer window to guarantee PL survival, extending the club's longest run in the top tier from five to six years
-- we want to have a reputation of not standing in the way of players that want to leave, provided we're offered the right price -- selling Burn maintains this -- which, in turn, is a selling-point in our recruitment of new players
-- we have three CBs out on loan who are performing well and conceivably all three could be in our squad for next season. We also have three other quality CBs (Webster, Dunk, Veltman), Duffy as back up this season, and Roberts (who probably needs to go out on loan next season), with Cucurella able to fill in in a back three.

It was, however, a short-term gamble and Bloom's lost that particular one -- injury to Webster, downturn in form of both Dunk and Veltman -- but Bloom also knows that you don't win them all, and the loss is the c£2m that we'll lose for every place we finish down the table than we would have done. For all of the above, I doubt he's beating himself up too hard about it.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
No, I have seen all the Sky and BT matches as well. My view is therefore based mainly on watching the tv which limits its usefulness/validity.

All I'll say on this is that I think my view from the WSU gives me a marginally better appreciation of the game than watching on TV, whereas attending away from home provides a lesser appreciation which is largely down to the perspective from the particular part of the ground we're allocated and, occasionally, because the festivities have got the better of me.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well, I think the opposite. It wasn't a short-term decision; if it was about the short-term, we would have kept him. It was a long-term decision based on at least the following:
-- Burn had 18 months left on his contract, and we were offered £13m/£15m for our 3rd or 4th best CB
-- we had enough points at the end of the transfer window to guarantee PL survival, extending the club's longest run in the top tier from five to six years
-- we want to have a reputation of not standing in the way of players that want to leave, provided we're offered the right price -- selling Burn maintains this -- which, in turn, is a selling-point in our recruitment of new players
-- we have three CBs out on loan who are performing well and conceivably all three could be in our squad for next season. We also have three other quality CBs (Webster, Dunk, Veltman), Duffy as back up this season, and Roberts (who probably needs to go out on loan next season), with Cucurella able to fill in in a back three.

It was, however, a short-term gamble and Bloom's lost that particular one -- injury to Webster, downturn in form of both Dunk and Veltman -- but Bloom also knows that you don't win them all, and the loss is the c£2m that we'll lose for every place we finish down the table than we would have done. For all of the above, I doubt he's beating himself up too hard about it.

At last, today, I have finally read a sensible post about the Albion that doesn't involve threats to shoot one's self (so help me, copper, you'll never take me alive, etc.)!

I salute you, sir. :salute::salute::salute:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

At the time I had the same viewpoint as this and not afraid to say that. But from a football perspective it’s been a big mistake. And I could forgive Tony for wanting to balance the books after £500M+‘ of investment and £67M losses in our last set of accounts.

But I can’t help but feel it’s a bit of a blindspot and reminds me of selling Ashley Barnes to promotion rivals Burnley in a January window for £500k because he had 6 months left. Both January sales

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Having seen Dan Burn being not good enough for the Chelsea goal and again tonight might change my mind again [emoji23]

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Having seen Dan Burn being not good enough for the Chelsea goal and again tonight might change my mind again [emoji23]

Yes he's been talked up to be far better than he is.

I do believe what we have missed though is his motivating and uplifting influence in the dressing room.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
And someone not afraid to carry the ball out of defense

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
2 in nearly 5 seasons. We are hardly Watford.

Even Brighton are allowed to over achieve. Potter has got us a position in the league table that reflects our wage bill. This would indicate that he is doing an average job. Why do a lot of fans say that he is a genius, we are lucky to have him and that he would only leave for a top four club?

Sure, and if we get in another manager after Norwich, and he loses every game til the end of the season, NSC would want him out too, then another one in the summer, then another one by Xmas. If Bloom listened to this site he'd have sacked GP in his first season, and CH at a crucial moment in our second. Our wage bill is consistently 15th or 16th in the division the last few seasons and has been below that when we first came up. A lot of fans say he is a genius because he took us to our best ever PL points total and this year has had us performing significantly above our position in the wage bill table and still are. As long as we continue to spend bottom 6 money, we shouldn't be surprised at the lack of true quality throughout the squad to keep us in that top half, it's a pipe dream.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sure, and if we get in another manager after Norwich, and he loses every game til the end of the season, NSC would want him out too, then another one in the summer, then another one by Xmas. If Bloom listened to this site he'd have sacked GP in his first season, and CH at a crucial moment in our second. Our wage bill is consistently 15th or 16th in the division the last few seasons and has been below that when we first came up. A lot of fans say he is a genius because he took us to our best ever PL points total and this year has had us performing significantly above our position in the wage bill table and still are. As long as we continue to spend bottom 6 money, we shouldn't be surprised at the lack of true quality throughout the squad to keep us in that top half, it's a pipe dream.

Last week's poll gave GPott 94% favourability.

NSC needs to want the current manager sacked before NSC starts hounding out the next person.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Last week's poll gave GPott 94% favourability.

NSC needs to want the current manager sacked before NSC starts hounding out the next person.

I don't think that's a fair summary of the poll. I'm not favourable to our deal leader, but I wouldn't vote to fire him.

I'd wait until the season is finished and see if someone will pay us some money for him.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Odd how 3 weeks later this narrative is all over NSC.
Even being pushed by those who took great offence at the time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here