Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Lewis Dunk better than Mark Lawrenson?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Different eras, different training regimes. Lawrenson was lanky, skinny, languid but he would have been out-muscled at times in today's game.

Of his era, however, Lawro was the better player. Very rare to make a mistake. Played at the highest level. More assured, better temperament. Better natural timing of the tackle. Best player I have seen for the Albion, since 1971. We were struggling in the top flight, Mullery brought in Peter Suddaby to play at the back, pushed Lawro into midfield, and we won 1-0 at the European champions (Forest). Dunk is terrific, but he has a long way to go to match Lawrenson.

PG

And I'm proud to say I was there that day - in the Forest end. Lawrenson just back from 3 months out injured if I remember correctly. He was bent over with his hands on his knees at the final whistle, barely able to walk off the pitch.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
And I'm proud to say I was there that day - in the Forest end. Lawrenson just back from 3 months out injured if I remember correctly. He was bent over with his hands on his knees at the final whistle, barely able to walk off the pitch.

I wasn't there, but the match had full coverage on MotD (when only 2 or 3 games were covered). I recall a very heavy pitch and the ball sticking in the goalmouth when we were under seige. No wonder Lawro was shattered.

Ryan's winning goal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Pkp6ma1A6g

PG

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
As good as Dunk is the answer is "not yet - and probably never" Lawro was absolute class for us and went on to hold down a place in the best club side of his era - accumulating 5 league titles, a European cup and numerous other tropheys along the way.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
:bowdown: I wasn't lucky enough to see Lawro in the stripes first hand, but I have heard stories of his mazy runs and ariel dominance. Is Dunk in the same league? And if so, could he be better? He is just unbelievable in the air, can put a 70 yard diagonal pass on a pinhead, likes the occasional surge forward and scores goals..

I'm a JCL who's first game was in '96 (aged 9!) and I haven't seen anyone as good. :bhasign:

Absolutely not.

Dunk has not proved himself at the highest level, Lawro did.

Steve Foster in his peak, is still vastly better than Dunk so far.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Absolutely not.

Dunk has not proved himself at the highest level, Lawro did.

Steve Foster in his peak, is still vastly better than Dunk so far.

Game of opinions, far better than Foster, has a way to go to match Lawrenson. Young though and still got his best to come. Await with baited breath !

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Agree - although he's not that young any more - he's older than Duffy and Goldson.

The three of them are frighteningly young and frighteningly good for center backs

I think this may be a special squad

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Game of opinions, far better than Foster, has a way to go to match Lawrenson. Young though and still got his best to come. Await with baited breath !

I wouldn't say far better than Foster but it's a more valid comparison then with Lawrenson at this stage in his career. Foster started as a striker at Portsmouth until Ian St John moved him to centre back. Dominant in the air,fairly comfortable on the ball and could play the ball out of defence. Dunk probably has more pace than Foster and can carry the ball forward better, not in Lawro's class though.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Foster for me - England international as well.

That's not to say Dunk won't be in time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here